Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

kedo posted:

This is peak video game talk. There's all this concern out there in the world about video games causing violence, and here we are desperately washing our hands.

it is violence towards microorganisms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

im looking for someone who will bury me inside a time capsule with vanguard the saga of heroes the mmorpg. as a bonus, when a future generation discovers it they can understand what it was like to have a good time

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

do mmorpgs go to heaven? is tabula rasa, fallen earth, vanguard saga of heroes, star was galaxies, asherons call, wild star, the matrix online etc just hanging out up there somewhere, waiting for us?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

oh no https://massivelyop.com/2021/10/25/fallen-earth-classic-is-definitely-happening-soon-and-itll-be-free-to-play-to-boot/

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

https://www.gamersfirst.com/fallenearth/

Here we go! Who's ready for some extreme jank?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

FreeWifi!! posted:

Did not know that.
Other thing I just found out is this game was dead for two years and the developer just decided to bring it back?

Since this is my first time playing it, I don't have any background on Fallen Earth.

Why was it shut down in the first place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2-cP8v_ms

its been a while since i watched it but this is probably a detailed overview

short version is: very janky/buggy mmorpg released around 2010, competing with many others, failed to improve significantly, couldnt retain playerbase, ran out of money, ip was purchased by another publisher (gamersfirst), made free to play, still janky, failed to retain playerbase, shut down in 2019, and then another publisher (little orbit) aquired gamersfirst and decided to rework the entire game (as a passion project?) to make it less broken/janky and has been working on it for years, and they now decided to put up the old version in the meantime completely free i think

something like that at least

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

anyone here tried gloria victis? it's currently free to try on steam. i've put an hour or so into it now and it seems ok? it's certainly an mmorpg, but also not really

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Any of you going to be playing Mortal Online 2 on release?

The first one was kind of a dumpsterfire on release and as I understand the company only survived cause of federal subsidies. That being said towards the end of its lifetime it was a decentish game that was mostly held back by a super out of date engine. Second one seems to run fine for the most part. All of the game's systems seem to be fully implemented for launch as well.

i dont have a mortal online collectors edition collecting dust somewhere for no reason

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

sailormoon posted:

Is there a goon presence in The Elder Scrolls Online? Being only $20 in the steam sale makes it tempting to pick up even if I only play it for a bit.

try this discord maybe https://discord.gg/PZ3DgUQ

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

lol granado espada is still going. what a weird game, what a wild soundtrack

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

so who else here is excited to finally leave the real world and spend the rest of their days in a vr mmorpg?

https://zenithmmo.com/

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

They do actually have both climbing and gliding (kinda like breath of the wild), as well as smooth locomotion. The rest of the game though, I have no idea

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

PyRosflam posted:

Play in a field, plop a dragon to fight in said field, set the boundary as the field, steal D&D classes and you get to fight a dragon superimposed on said field. If the hardware has the power, remove the horizon (roads, city around you) and replace it with a lower res boundary area. But the name of the game is that you can truly fight a dragon in your backyard.

countepoint: i dont have a backyard and there is no way a dragon will fit in my tiny apartment

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

You sound like someone paid you to say that.

you sound like someone else paid you to say that to slander the game's reputation by making it look like they are paying shills to say nice things about their game

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

It’s cool that Zenith is fun to play. Please enjoy it while it lasts because no one uses their VR for anything other than hyper immersed gooning sessions.

hope you feel better soon

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

im pretty sure lost ark is a moba

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Kaysette posted:

there is a summoner class for mage but it isn't out in this release, rumor has it that the russian version summoner had some nasty bugs

So they can summon insects?

Edit: damnit

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

diablo is a mmo with mmo stuff like dailies and cosmetic grinds

no diablo is nothing like an mmo. in an mmo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot. in diablo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

MMOs don't exist, they are a conspiracy by the Illuminati

Wake up, sheeple

dont you remember? you have been the mmo all along

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

heres a good idea: have a dungeon finder, but instead of selecting players just from the server, cross server or cross continent, have it select players from other mmorpgs too

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can I interest everyone in this cool new sandbox MMO that Amazon made?

thats a sandbox for cats

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i also played that (graal online) when i was a kid. i distinctly remember fishing, playing some sort of dressup with weird skins or something? weird roleplaying and "internet-girlfriends" (i have no idea who any of these people were). though this was on one of presumably many different worlds or gamemodes or whatever

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

I am the baby

soothe me

dm me

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

mmos would be better if you killed people instead. real people

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Truga posted:

never play online games until they're about 2 years old and still kicking imo

If you're playing MMOs at any other time than their launch you are literally insane

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Dune survival MMO just got announced.

finally: a good mmo. congratulations everyone, the wait has been worth it. see you on the dunes

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I hope there's desert power

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Paxman posted:

It's a bit weird that nobody's done a massively multiplayer (as opposed to just multiplayer) survival game before now, ie an Ark or Conan Exiles with 5,000 people on a server instead of 50. I guess an issue is the map size, it will have to be huge if everyone expects to build their own fortress.

I'm assuming Dune Awakening won't allow you to destroy other players' homes and take all their stuff as MMO players seem to have a low tolerance for that sort of thing.

behold: mortal online 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv3IJEO3QPY

(not all things advertised in the trailer are actually possible to do in the game)

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

finding groups manually in chat is a bad idea, automatic match making is a bad idea. ready for a good idea? dungeon tinder. you swipe on user created profiles until you find a very sexy tank, healer or dps and if they like you back its off to the races

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Did they finally end up reworking ESO's combat? Last time I played it years ago it was very much some of the worst feeling combat I've ever tried, just completely weightless and impactless

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I'm thinking of playing a tauren sandworm, maybe speccing in to desert power, but I haven't decided yet

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2294660/Quinfall/

i can feel it, this is the one

in this one you can explore the impact of the monstrous god Pelyonas, the dragonborn gods Greis and Kreas, and many more gods on the universe, which i've never seen done or even attempted before

hundreds of different bone and muscle controls on the face will let you create unique characters such as this one

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

an iksar marauder posted:

I reached level 60 on the project 1999 green server

Time to start farming blockchains

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

this kinda popped up out of nowhere i feel like?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1277920/Ethyrial_Echoes_of_Yore/

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

it looks great shut up im going to play it

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Is it full loot?

Apparently yes it is and you also lose xp for maximum fun. A caveat is that there's a system where there's a certain chance to lose items on death that increases every time you die, but this resets an hour after you die. This also applies to xp in a similar way I think.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Thinking more about Embers Adrift and what I actually like about the game; the leveling experience is actually significant and matters. It's not just punishment until you get to the level cap and then you can experience the real game. Every single other MMO released over the last decade just makes it so that the leveling is an extended tutorial and doesn't actually mean anything. Embers Adrift, the actual game starts the moment you make your character, and this is a big breath of fresh air.

Other older MMORPGs do so much more a lot better, but Embers Adrift has those modern quality of life features that make it more approachable and easier to play. I can't go back to Everquest, its controls and UI just feel terrible and unapproachable.

Is this a game I would recommend to most MMORPG players? gently caress no. I think maybe one or two other goons in this thread are dumb enough like me to want to play this poo poo. Its so incredible niche, and its player numbers are like 15 - 20 people at any given time. Game is really cheap to run though, and the cost of the servers and bandwidth scale to what the devs need and for how many players there are. So they aren't wasting money just because there aren't 1000000000 people playing it at once. The monthly subs are enough to keep the game running indefinitely. This game has no publisher, there's no obligations or quarterly earning calls for the devs to adhere to.

there's actually like a handful that played and enjoyed embers adrift on launch, theres even a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014896

people seemed to like it until after like the first 10 levels or so before they burned out, which was my experience too. dont know if theyve made things better since launch though.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I feel like I shouldn't be writing this, but... as someone who never played EQ1 but had a good time with EQ2, Vanguard and other "old school like" mmos, should I be getting into it now? Is there anything there for me as a solo-but-willing-to-group player? Is it P99 that's generally recommended, or do they have "classic" retail servers? assuming modern day EQ1 is too weird.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I had tricked myself into being optimistic about it after reading the devs talk about it. I thought it was going to be like Linkrealms with a small but relatively competent and passionate team with maybe their custom engine and yada yada, but it seems pretty clear this is kind of a cobbled together Unity asset store mess made by people who probably don't really know what they are doing? I mean kudos to them for making a game and releasing it, but no thanks, I'll be trying to reexperience my teenage years in another lovely mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

kedo posted:

For those of us who want an experience like UO or SWG (which feel very similar to me) the term "MMO" has departed so far from those original concepts that a new game in the vein would need to be called something else entirely.

Give me a game with a big-rear end world, serviceable combat, and lots of non-combat activities to partake in that are equal in richness to combat, and keep your raids and gear treadmills. Call it something like a "living world game" and I will play it for the rest of eternity.

https://secondlife.com/