Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Peak stupidity? that's the words of someone without any vision for a far greater height of stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How is ESO these days anyway, is it actually good or is it just getting by on bethesda fanboys.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Give it a proper modern graphics overhaul and Minecraft is the good MMO people are looking for.

No I don't just mean "God Rays". It needs that too obviously but all those character sliders from Black Desert et al and stuff like that.

I was going to mention this but thought I'd be alone and get some crazy looks.

You really don't need grindy leveling or 1% drop chance uber gear for a good PvP MMO, easily broken, easily replaced gear works great.

During the early days of minecraft if you found the right PvP/Building/cities or faction server to settle on, it was essentially the levelless persistent online world people were looking for, all that mattered was your equipment and what little skill that could be brought to the spam click and knockback combat or what fiendish traps you could think up to catch raiders entering the city, there was just enough griefing that people could full loot each other and look for loot in chests in the cities but you wouldn't log on to find someone dumped lava and cobble all over your recreation of the sistine chapel.

You had your PvE adventures of exploring new caves and areas with friends for more materials to use in PvP or construction, or the PvP side of trying to find someone else's city or mineshaft and trying to get in or marking down the coordinates to raid later.

I personally have high hopes for Hytale to relive that with a competent developer behind it that knows what attracted people to their minecraft servers, and if it doesn't live up to that on release they are heavily focused on modding and giving people creation tools to create the sort of server they want, which could end up being a MMO type server with stats on loot and whatever else.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is literally a Player vs Environment experience.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
To me, a MMO describes a game with a persistent online world you can interact with others in that you can drop in and out of, a game where you join up with a few other people at a time before going back into your hub just feels like a game lobby browser with graphics, which sorta dampers the massive multiplayer online description to me

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I loved reading wildstar horror stories as they tried to comprehend the grind to unlock the actual grind.

Also this sums up wildstar well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgVS9yNFGg

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A MMO that isn't numbers dependent on gear would be nice, with a focus on mass production and mass destruction of equipment and resources, PvP isn't fun if it requires some months long tedious grinding to get on the same level playing field and dying means you need to restart the month long grind.

Part of why I enjoyed minecraft PvP servers and other persistent world PvP resource gatherers, you want your friends to join your established base? they don't have to grind 5000 iron ores and chop 10,000 tree's with a wooden axe before they can compete, you just use your stockpile of resources to equip them and show them around your base and the basics and off they go fighting, main problem they have though is very tiny server populations compared to a MMO.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I hate that shooters don't have sort-of dangerous mooks to fight alongside player enemies. Like, grunts and marines in Halo should just be shooting inaccurately all the time during invasion.

You should check out Titanfall2 and Escape from Tarkov then.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zlodo posted:

And unfortunately, they're not the people playing mmos, at least not currently.

In wow you could see this on pvp servers and currently in warmode: people lose their poo poo when the engaging type of combat gameplay (pvp) encroaches onto the routine of bear rear end farming.

They do everything they can to trivially get rid of the pvp (running away, zerging, taking refuge near guards NPCs) until the disruption of challenging gameplay goes away and they can resume their repetitive bear rear end farming routine.

Wow players are literally allergic to any form of challenge contaminating the bear rear end farming. The people who aren't stopped playing wow a long time ago and are probably not even on blizzards radar anymore.

As someone who almost exclusively played pvp server's on MMO's since a young age I sorta want to reply to this.

MMO PvP is pretty awful and as soon as enough time has passed for socks to fill with poo, there will be such a gear disparity between the ganker and the poor guys just trying to farm the mandatory bear asses so they can get anywhere close to being able to get the gear to actually fight the guy who is trying to gank them.

When everyone is still equal in gear, like the first week or two of a open pvp server, it's pretty great, but when someone joins a month, two months, a year after someone else who is already sitting firmly upon the top of his poop sock mountain, it just ain't fair and I don't blame the guys who want to avoid or run away from the guy who takes 5% damage from their attacks and hits them back for 80% while stun locking them.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 22, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Taear posted:

Shadowbane

I got a soft spot for PVP focused MMO's since I grew up with age of empires making me want a more persistent world to experience and then got into dark age of camelot.
I think PvP fantasy mmo's can still work in this day and age but you would need systems put in place to prevent people from burning out, quitting in frustrating, or reaching a "one faction has won everything and won't budge" scenario.

You would need to make gear loss easily replaceable.
You would need to be able to come back from lost territory and not be able to lose hours, days, weeks of game time because someone broke into your territory while you were asleep
You would need new players able to contribute to fighting and not just have veteran players bash new players over the head with their bigger numbers, which means probably doing-away with the concept of exp and levels and stats and have it focused heavily on gear and resources spent and cheap but effective equipment widely produced.
You would need seasons to reset the server every few months since fresh launches are wildly popular and it keeps the poopsockers from scaring off everyone from atop their mountain of socks, give the players or factions that did the most some cosmetics and titles.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
MMO's these days are pretty bad on the fun to time ratio.

A lot of extremely popular games these days (such as moba's and battle royales) follow the MMORPG gameplay progression of starting out weak and by the end becoming a god, but the main difference is those games cut out most of the tedium and time sinks and are done in about 15-30 minutes and you then hit play again, instead of 15-30 weeks and then you buy a expansion and hit play again.

The main thing MMO's got going is a big persistent world to explore which vary in quality and putting you in chatrooms with people you wouldn't talk to otherwise (who vary in quality)

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 3, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Pirates of the burning sea was neat for it's time but had some fundamental problems in the design that were unable to be fixed from being engine design issues, such as having a whole boarding and melee combat system negated by nothing having collusion so the 20 AI on the other ship would just prioritize you and then stack on top of each other and hit you at the same time.
Or as mentioned completely still seas and so-so graphics with mostly empty towns just visited for hauling cargo.

Sea of thieves with just a smidgen more depth and 2 to 3 times the player count per server would be absolutely amazing, it's really held back by how few player ships you meet and how most of them are just fresh spawns with no value in fighting them.

For a pirates of the burning sea story, I played it during the free beta period and found a way to almost always sink max level 50 galleons, frigates and ships of the line using level 20 naval officer sloops in the open sea.
The top tier ships of the line had overwhelming firepower, hundreds of heavy cannons that could shred any boat up close within 200-400m but the accuracy fell off pretty hard, my trick was using naval officer and their custom level 20 sloop that just had a couple side cannons and one in the front and fitting them with long range cannons and using every accuracy, range, item and skill buff available to have around 95% accuracy at 700m+ distance.

With the range advantage you could easily chip away at the sails faster then their repair items came off cooldown and at that point it was just a case of sailing behind the massive, expensive ship and shooting it in the butt until it sank, I found some other naval officers to fill out a full group and just sailed around fighting max level players who were hoping to stomp some low level newbie ships who didn't realize what was happening until they were dead in the water and ready to beg you to leave their fortune of a ship alone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I think that if anyone could actually make a legitimate challenge against World of Warcraft, it would be Riot. But we'll see, the MMO genre is for the most part dead, and if Riot can't revitalize it then the genre is probably done for good outside of what already exists.

I would laugh so much if a Riot made MMO was the thing that ended WoW, you'd be able to trace a straight line from blizzard's inability to capitalize on the popularity of DoTA in warcraft 3 to the end of blizzard as a company.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

eonwe posted:

this is the game ill give yall impressions on on the 31st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypx17tLMCTc

I tried the weekend beta a bit back, it felt ok for a game being released in 2001, not so much 2021.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

I think this is what the "MMO" genre is going to transition to. Think Valheim with like 50 players on a server, maybe with some light crafting stuff. More reminiscent of Ultima Online than Everquest.

I can't imagine any dev today looking at the insatiable hunger for endgame content and saying "we want to be in that business"

That's why I was actually a little interested in everquest next despite never playing any everquest.
Then we learned they couldn't even copy minecraft right and after trying to make some quick cash by selling faster mining speed in the beta then sold the project to the russian mafia or something.

You don't need grinding hours for bigger numbers or 20 person raids you got to repeat for months before your items drop and you roll a big enough number to get them, a better designed minecraft survival server is basically the dream state of a MMO, in my option.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There has been a hole in the market for a big budget MMO that isn't largely focused on combat with big floating numbers and everything else just being a afterthought that indirectly makes you better at combat and then going back to the hub town to empty your inventory and look at the other players idling around with giant cosmetic 20$ wings.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 3, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Love the idea of a chill mmo.

Trailer looks pretty staged though, I wanna watch real uninterrupted gameplay.

There is a pretty good chance a large amount of the gameplay will be watching little bars fill from one end to the other while your character makes a hand rubbing motion and 30 seconds later a king sized bed is in your pocket.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have not heard good things about the overwatch community who mostly seem to play it out of spite, and WoW is infested with chuds and nazi's outright recruiting in global chats so I think Blizzard wins the toxic community prize just by letting it fester with poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Hzh43k330

Anyone interested in some WoW Pathos?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 19, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would you rather have dungeon finders to fill groups or being on a low population server or a dead hour and spending 30-60 minutes spamming "LF MORE CLASSES FOR DUNGEON NEED 3 MORE" until eventually some in the group get bored or have to leave?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Looks like there is another MMO coming to the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3JcpTN6fUk

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even as a kid I knew I wanted to avoid Everquest as my first MMO in the same way I'd want to avoid trying heroine or getting a gambling addiction, every story of people playing it always seemed sad.

All the rose-tinted glasses talk about how great Everquest was always seems to involve some form of "actually waiting 20 hours in the same spot to be the first to take a rare spawn built a sense of community and made the world feel bigger unlike these "modern" games that have you actually play a game"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In everquest what was the requirement to wake the sleeper? just curious how in the age of the internet people didn't make it their life goal to grief the server(s) and despawn the dragon guardians.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think MMO's would do well to get rid of levels, they are often arbitrary for segregating the population into those at max level where experience no longer matters and those on the grind and the power disparity means the two can't really interact in any meaningful way because almost every MMO is about killing things by smashing your numbers into eachother and the low level will have 1000x lower numbers.

Think how many times you wanted to get a friend into some game of yours but you know they will be stuck in newbie town for 100 hours and unable to join you in the content you are doing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Easily replaceable and disposable gear is one way.

There are really many ways to allow for a feeling of character advancement without just "make number go up and add a 0 to the end of the damage numbers"

Or ways to advance characters that isn't "genocide a thousand monsters that respawn forever within 30 seconds and sell what's in their pockets" or "collect 10 x parts from x monsters a thousand times"

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 2, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A sense of progression could be as simple as just learning a complicated game mechanic and really getting good at it, it doesn't just have to be taking a number from 1 to 100 to be a master smith who still presses a button in a menu to watch a bar fill.

Examples being learning combos in a fighting game, learning how to make advanced redstone machines or making a song with noteblocks in minecraft, mastering the travel time and trajectory of cannonballs in sea of thieves, just things where the progression is simply gaining knowledge and applying it and letting you be creative with it but it not being required to play and enjoy the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember the thread laughing when the wildstar devs hated their playerbase so much they buffed bosses mid-fight when it looked people were going to kill their big final boss.

WoW devs just did the same thing apparently.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've never seen Lazypeon so frustrated before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9v51-G3ng

I keep an open mind on these things but will agree with him that it just seems like a worse GW2 wvw with tediously long respawns.

Shame because I liked crowfalls concept of letting your side actually win the eternal PvP stalemate and then starting over like seasonal leagues in other games.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think games being released unfinished and overpromising is very much on topic in a thread about MMO's and would like people to poo poo the gently caress down some more info about it.

Like I know NMS had a terrible release, but what exactly changed in the years following that has given it a positive reception?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The thread and especially the WoW>FF14 players might like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u1oXhiHJM0

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Selling alpha access means they are a real MMO developer now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I played the open beta for Vanguard, I really liked the blood mage healer as did most people but I could tell there was a lot unfinished in that game from systems not working to whole stretches of the world just being barren and janky.

I remember someone posted stories of how the game engine was held together by paper clips and wishes and it was a miracle the thing even could launch.

I'd love to hear some vanguard stories and how long the game actually lasted before shutting down and how the diplomacy played out when you went beyond the basic cards at the beginning.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 11, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That helps explains things, I made a asian guy blood mage and went exploring just to find everything empty or missing.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 11, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Fun fact, I was in a PvP guild in dark age of camelot and was part of the group that won some test realm PvP contest and got a hill named after the guild Mor Du Kuli in one of the battlegrounds, which we couldn't visit on our home PvP server because they had no battlegrounds there.

I think the hill was in Thidranki but I can't find any maps that show the names.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When do you unlock the eggplant symbol?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The main thing I think most of the survival crafter type games do better then MMO's is that the time period from going from "naked newbie" to "well equipped veteran" is far, far, far, far less of a time sink and is mostly a knowledge barrier instead of a "punched 50,000 enemies and made 10,000 ingots to make a bar go up" barrier.

That and if you have friends already established in the game they can immediately catch you up with their resources, where as if you play with your brand new friend in a MMO you are probably making between 0% and 1% progress on your game to do things you've already done with them and miss out on the various end-game stuff the game wants you to do with your time with the actual rewards being only there.

Traditional MMO's in my mind would be far better off if they did away with experience and levels as time gates to do anything and put that into making your own equipment and learning the best ways to do things the most efficiently as your power spikes and didn't punish long time players for playing with new players, which probably hurts the games player retention over time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another genre that does leveling up better then MMO's (judging by popularity too) are Moba's I think, you play for 15-45 minutes and only play around with that max gear/level power spike for maybe the final 10-30% of the game, or you get to be one of the strongest players out of 10 in the game for awhile and then you either win or lose and start back at level 1 for the next game.

Survival crafters are similar where if you "lose" you are naked again, sent back to "level 1" as it were, but if your base and supplies are safe you can re-equip and go right back out, maybe you lost your very best stuff and can't get it back right away, but you also probably won't be starting from scratch in your home base.

In MMO's people will bash over people over the head with their time spent playing and win because bigger numbers and that time to power investment and there is little to do to catch up besides play more then them.
And those that played the most always find a way to bash others over the head with that timesink power, be it in PvP MMO's or in PvE MMO's furiously watching the DPS meters and kicking people not satisfying them, and all of that just makes it really hard to get fresh blood into old MMO's.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dackel posted:

That's because they wouldn't be caught dead going to some casual FFXIV rave. A Wildstar rave otoh... now that's hardcore

Unless hanging out with friends in the rave requires 2 months of attuning to keys and killing at least 3 rare world boss spawns on random 48 hour respawn timers, I don't even want to hear about em.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'mma be honest I don't really see a lot of room here to make fun of people going to raves and socializing in a group with some minor roleplay from fake bartenders, drunks and drug dealers, over going to kill a dragon for the 20th time in utter silence with a random group in the hopes of getting new pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Botting and gold farmers got really out of control on Classic too.

I thought this was a good video about how real poo poo everything got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy89LRQ9muw

Here is another short animation that sums up what happened to WoW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Hzh43k330

Endorph posted:

Plus there's the simple fact that Classic WoW was designed for half the player base to be on dial-up and for nobody to know what a stat was.

I think that extended to the developers judging by how many items had do-nothing stats in classic.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2021