Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Zaphod42 posted:

Age of Wushu is really cool. More videogames need to play around with bonkers movement, it just feels good and is fun. I hate that WoW has walked back flying as this thing they only give you once you beat the game, like they're embarrassed about it.

DC Universe Online is not a great MMO but by the simple fact that you can fly anywhere anytime its actually fun as gently caress. I love just cruising around metropolis, flying down, going "I AM HERE TO SAVE THE DAAAAAAY!" beating up some henchmen, and then ZOOP off I go into the sky again. FEELS GOOD.

MMOs have the best like, stuff around the game, but the actual GAME, the moment to moment gameplay in an MMORPG, kinda sucks balls. Its a really weird turn based thing that has really fast automatic turns based on the GCD rate in order to approximate real-time combat. It was created intentionally for the internet of the 90s to help mitigate horrible latency.

Planetside 2 exists, and its an MMO with FPS combat. Its not perfect, but it works.

That's why I want something like a dark souls mmo now. We have the technology to build something on the scale of Everquest or World of Warcraft, but where the moment to moment combat is actually exhilarating instead of boring as gently caress like in everquest.

My only fear is that such a game would be so good that I would quit my job and end up bankrupt and homeless. I'm not even joking, if you properly mixed the best elements of Dark Souls and Everquest it'd be like crack cocaine.

dcuo was alright but don't play anything daybreak it's a garbage company

blade and soul is similar to age of wushu but more theme park than sandbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

hot take - blade and soul is a better game than gw2 and ncsoft knows it

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Rad Russian posted:

Shadowbane was a good sandbox PvP MMO at its prime (super buggy but the concept was great). Except when designed specifically to be truly player driven the MMO automatically has a few month end state, which I'm not sure can be solved. Yes the whole game world is player built and player controlled, except eventually 80% of the guilds on my server decided to form an alliance against the many objections of sane people saying that will ruin the server. They promptly defeated the small alliance that was fighting them, and those people moved on and either quit or moved servers. Fighting 10 on 1 every time wasn't fun. Then this 80% of the server alliance (now 100% of the server) sat on the now boring server with 0 conflict for several months somehow, after which everyone of course quit out of boredom and the server shut down. GG.

This is basically exactly why true sandbox PvP MMOs can't exist. No sane developer is gonna spend millions on a game that will last several months at best before the end state is reached. They need to theme park PvE content, or gate PvP behind pre-set alliances without a win condition (fight over some keeps here without affecting any starting cities or any of the game world). Meh.

Eve did somewhat solve that issue by literally putting the WHOLE player base onto one server instead of smaller shards, but I don't think that's achievable in a normal MMORPG where people are not going to tolerate a powerpoint style sub single digit FPS battles.

that's probably why all the former shadowbane devs now working on crowfall decided that servers would get wiped periodically :v:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

just play bdo if you want a sandbox that has things to do other than ganking op sorry that's as good as it gets

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Nazgul posted:

I want the gameplay of Neverwinter, the politics and community and company developer style of EVE Online and the freedoms therein, the player housing of Wildstar, and the transmog system of WoW.

I also want it to be a subscription only game to keep the riff raff out. So with my high standards, I'll probably never be happy. :v:

so you want a lovely community of humorless nerds who threaten each other with death over ingame slights, ran by drunks who know so little about the code for their own game they can't fix things like ingame billboards and instead of reinvesting the profits to improve their game piss it away on poorly thought out ventures that all hilariously flamed out forcing them to sell everything to koreans

high standards indeed :thunk:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Glass of Milk posted:

If WoW went to a model where you only pay for expansions (i.e. no subscription), I think it would be as popular as it was at it's height. There's still a place for that kind of game.

I think new MMO games will be like Sea of Thieves or something- cosmetic stuff as progression with open worlds. The cosmetics pay for the regular content and expansions are sold for big changes or new gameplay systems.

you realize wow still jumps back up to 10mil+ during expansion releases so why would they need to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

also ff14 jumps up to around 10mil during expansion releases and both games print money and retain millions inbetween release windows so they are keeping those subs for the foreseeable future, mmos aren't dead or less popular than they were 10 years ago the only thing that has really changed is idiot suits stopped pissing away money trying to make the fabled wow killer

this isn't unique to mmos either recently we saw quite a few dota/league of legend clones trying to take a piece of that market and they closed by the dozens

now trying to replicate the success of pubg and fortnite is all the rage

multiplayer game genres can only support a few titles that make the sort of bank publishers need them to in order to continue running them