Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Every time I go to play GW2 I always feel like I'm at a loss for anything meaningful to do. If I want better outfits, I either just farm gold or spend real cash. If I want mount skins? Cash. I already have the best gear so I have nothing upgrade there. Like it feels that the only meaningful activity I can do is farm cash to exchange into cash shop currency, and there's nothing else I can do to get anything cool. You can't even change your outfit because the consumables that do so are limited and sold on the cash shop. I keep going back to try it because there is no monthly sub and I want to find some mmo to play, but I just don't understand what the hell people actually do there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

You could pay money to get caught up, but each expansion comes out to like $800 - $1000. And a new character costs around $6000 to be caught up with top tier gear for the newest content.

:eyepop: more expensive than some gacha games

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm torn on is FFXIV did as good a job as I thought since I loathed EW and thought it massively botched the landing in some critical ways. EW basically made quit XIV because of the story, the gameplay has largely gotten better even if some classes are starting to get over simplified. The best long form/live action storytelling I've seen has been from Mihoyo in their gacha games of all things.

Honkai Impact wrapped up their main story after five years and it was an incredibly satisfying end to a story that was contentiously punctuated by incredible emotional story beats. With Genshin impact they did something I found really ballsy and just published the stories outline before the game even came out with the Teyvat Trevails trailer and have been sticking with it with the two regions added to the game thus far.

I found WoW's biggest issue storywise, beyond just how stupid it could get, was that none of the characters ever felt like characters, they were a coat rack with some verbs on it that you hung your own idea of who they are as a character onto. Which just made them doing anything with them unsatisfying because of how thin they could be. Like the actual amount of dialogue even a focus character like Sylvanas got in Shadowlands is ridiculously small compared to say Zenos.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Anno posted:

I do wonder how they plan to differentiate it from LotRO. Different time period? Just try it disconnect it from the books/movies even more? Like I wouldn’t hate just having Middle Earth to run around in and get up to my own fun rather than following behind the Fellowship or whatever.

The company they were partnering with for the rights to the IP was sold and they couldn't work out a deal with the new owner. So it was cancelled but not because Amazon wanted to or anything.

They'll use their shows aesthetic over the movies. So it'll be copying from a terribly unpopular show that looks worse than the old movies to follow up a game that was messy at best from a studio that's yet to really post a dub. Good luck

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do think the only way it could've been handled was to not let players be it, which is still a lovely situation since a large portion of star wars fans want their lightsaber and they want to be overpowered compared to all the stupid stormtroopers. IT's such a hard setting to do in that style of mmo. Lucas Arts demanding they make Jedi playable was absolutely one of the worst parts of it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bandaid.friend posted:

The dreadnoughts and terminators have been replaced with new models that are basically the same guy but bigger

The greater demons being killed off are from the forge world brand. I reckon they might be doing plastic versions, because their recent trend is to make bigger versions of the same models (with a different name and better rules, no you can't use your old models stop asking), and the forge world ones are very large. Or they just weren't popular, who knows

They lose the iconic boxyness on dreadnoughts, I kind of hate the new variant. It's not just it being bigger. The new terminators are fine though, they keep the helmet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's just their marketing looked more..traditional mmos there, and what I see in that video is basically like they never stopped it being an isometic game. Autobattle and the weird stickyness of combat is just the cherry on top of that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I really enjoyed my time in Age of Conan after it's expansion, but the games launch was so awful it guaranteed it was pretty much on borrowed time. Sure enough it went f2p and that killed my desire to keep playing, especially the content they added after that was all pretty awful.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm the kind of masochist who wants 75 cap FFXI again. Though I'm also shocked XI is still a separate sub and not rolling in with XIV's yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

To slightly forgive him, STO was acquired by Cryptic after it had spent several years in development hell and they had to ship it out very very fast, so they just cludged together whatever they could. Also at the 50 level cap space combat was really fun. Ground was a loving disaster though. Land of contrasts is what I'm saying.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

To be fair to him, being able to actually bring an MMORPG to release is a huge accomplishment nowadays.

STO in 2023 badly needs a complete overhaul of everything. So many mechanics make no sense, are not intuitive, and add nothing to the game.

The only good thing is that power creep has gotten so insane you can play literally anything and be fine. Otherwise yeah I agree. Also nuTrek being a thing really hurts the story of the game because now Paramount pays much more attention for them and they have to push the new shows.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Which really sucks because modern day Star Trek largely sucks a lot of poo poo. I will say this though; Strange New Worlds is really good. It doesn't quite get to the level of 90s Trek, but it gets very close, and is what I have been wanting from Star Trek since Voyager ended. It's a perfect balance of adventure of the week, and seasonal storyline, the writing is just not quite there, at least not for season 1. I haven't had a chance to watch season 2 yet.

Personally I think it's all bad outside of the animation which is okay to decent (Prodigy is the decent one). But I'm in the small minority of hating SNW. I'd much rather spend time praying we get S4 of the Orville. Like seriously if you like SNW at all, you owe it to yourself to watch the Orville, it's incredible. The first three episodes can be a bit rough, but if you can stand Lower Decks, it's on the same level. Seth MacFarlane just tricked Fox into making Star Trek by lying and saying it was Family Guy in space, it's quite incredible. The Orville is so good I'd say it's second season rivals TNG s3. It also ended with a character saying "you can get Utopia but first you have to get rid of capitalism, but no one is gonna do it for you, you gotta do it yourself" and then the character looks straight at the camera for 5 minutes, which is incredibly especially with how cowardly nuTrek is.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

BDO sounds extremely like a game I'd love outside of always on pvp. It doesn't matter how I can escape ganking, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. Just make a pve server and I'd absolutely buy it.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 23, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For me the best advantage of XIs approach to gear was that poo poo was good for ages. Like if you earned a rare and powerful reward you'd use it for years, instead of the current mmo idea of gear where you throw it all away every three months and everything is disposable.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, it's probably melodramatic but I feel like more modern "online friendships" are closer to what you get as a kid in school than people you find and build relationships with. You're so on top of each other all the time that you form bonds just by proximity, but when you end up "graduating" (playing a different game, taking a break, etc) then 99% of that just dries up.

It isn't helped by MMOs getting progressively easier to play over time as well. I remember people in my WoW guild that carried us through something super hard or, counter to that, completely hosed up in some stupid way. Hell, ten years later i remember one instance i ran with a guildie that insisted on bringing his dad along, who absolutely refused to wear any gear he couldnt craft (respectable) but had a low crafting skill so his gear was grey poo poo. But I couldn't tell you a single person in any of the FFXIV raids I went on that were just set on farm by the time I reached them. If you aren't in a high level raiding group (so 99.9% of the playerbase) then it's largely just a matter of killing time with anyone. You have to *specifically cultivate* relationships with people online and put quite a bit of effort into doing so, whereas the nature of MMOs in the past had that kind of socializing so fundamental to the game that it just naturally happened over time. When your slot on a team could be easily filled by whoever the game randomly selects from the entire playerbase, who will flawlessly and silently complete the task other than yelling at you to go faster, then networking is kind of ridiculous.

I see it more as about being 'easier to play' in some ways but the target content that keeps people there is getting harder. I think after classic we are all disabused about the difficult of vanilla WoW, but I think that's WHY it was successful. I haven't tried to do savage in XIV in a long time, but the last time I tried, in Shadowbringers, I felt like I was taking a loving remedial college course to learn how to do all the bullshit that's needed in a fight and it just was not fun to me. So much to remember, and way more pressure because the smaller raid size. The only good thing was that you could get rezzed infinite times. The older fights being generally easy as hell and out of a 40 man group only 10 people needed to actually be awake was a feature, not a bug. It's hard to want to play a game where you chill and kill internet dragons when you are under the pressure of modern raid mechanics, in XIV or WoW.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Exactly, I kinda hated ever since difficulty tiers got introduced, it really muddled that and removed the comfortable middle that they should've been aiming for to begin with.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I know it's not what you mean but watching cutscene #341 of a close-up of each character in the room staring poignantly and nodding and then saying "FF14 is respectful of your time" is extremely funny

When you're into the story, the leveling experience is loving great. When you are not, it's so much torture. Because the leveling experience is just watch cutscene. Run to watch other cutscene. Maybe, if you're very lucky, you'll give two mobs before watching a cutscene. And then do the appointed dungeon at the set level. Aside from the dungeons, which at least look nice but honestly every dungeon feels like every other dungeon, it's so much tedium if the story doesn't grab you, and I hated EW's story.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Truga posted:

i'm gonna be real here, overworld quests with "combat" are universally garbage in every single mmo, so the story just being a visual novel interspersed with dungeons and trials is by far the best outcome

I mean when I played WoW I played to grind those bear asses, so different opinion on the issue I guess.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Truga posted:

for me that's worst of both worlds because overworld combat tends to be basic enough for the lowest common denominator to handle it solo

this means that unless you find challenges for yourself like "can i pull 60 of these guys and aoe them down" or "can i murder 10k of these per hour", it just isn't fun to play, and quests telling you to get 10 bears and then move onto the next room run counter to that

I specifically mean vanilla where the combat meant you had to respect mob pathing and couldn't handle multiple foes so you had to pay attention. Later expansions removed all that and made it a joke so yeah it sucks then.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean I like ARR but I think it's tone is incredibly incongruent with where the game ended up. The overall world felt a lot darker in tone in the portrayal of the Eorzean nations compared to Garlemald and a lot of sidequests, or even msq stuff like Sastasha is really bleak. I loved that. The Edda quest is probably still the best bit of content in the game. It's just we go from the honestly super interesting stuff in say 2.55 to EW where it's a complete 180 in tone and that's a big part of why I loathe EW's story. It's way too sunshines and rainbows.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

HW started off strong with the scions dead and Alphinaud having to live with getting everyone he knew and cared for beyond his sister and a head of state murdered to actually jk they are all completely fine. While the rest of HW is pretty good the complete reversal of 2.55 basically ensured the good guys will never suffer any consequences for their actions and that sucks a lot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's probably the nostalgia talking, but I am really appreciating playing FFXI 75 cap on a private server. But there's something wrong with me for sure.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Jazerus posted:

ffxi maybe? horizon is the big private server at the moment and still going strong

nthing this. If you want Everquest but different FFXI was developed to be Japanese Everquest. Horizon is a solid private server with tons of people still active and low levels are always active.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Both the live version where if you want to explore solo that's your ticket and private servers, notably HorizonXI which recaptures the 75 level cap experience if you want to experience a mandatory grouping game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair I am still just leveling which to me is the majority of the experience so I haven't seen any of the max level stuff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I definitely agree that patt of what sold mmos was as a primary means of social engagement, but I don't think the popularity of discord has as much to do with the decline of being social as he thinks. He even touches on why I feel the current flavour of mmo is lonely in the video, at least in part. It's necessity. Or the lack there of. FFXI makes my antisocial and anxious rear end be social because if I am not, I just won't play the loving game. The world is brutal and it sucks, and it will cause you harm in how much it wastes your loving time and punishes you. And it's all the pain that made it so memorable and made the social glue work. The game abused the hell out of everyone who played it, so everyone there knew the pain. They also knew how great it felt to beat what the game was throwing at you and the way to do that was in a group because you couldn't do it alone.

Meanwhile take FFXIV, as a more direct sequel and because people say you can be social in it. XIV has no pain points whatsoever. Everything is smooth and welcoming and piss easy. There is challenge eventually, if that's your thing, but you only find it by purposefully seeking it out. It's all a la carte now. XIV being so easy has let it have a social side of people who don't engage with it as a game but as a TV show, seeing the msq as the current season and then hanging out with friends in the house they built. Maybe you'll be invited to someone's house if you're not in one. But there's also a lot of empty rear end houses in the ward. You're not finding a populated one unless you get lucky or are persistent.

And that's the difference between a modern mmo and classic to me. In a modern game I can play the game alone, so it becomes lonely. In a classic mmo to play the game I have to be social. You give me the choice of course I'd never interact with anyone but my friends, why the hell would I put myself out there? I'm a shut in nerd that's the last thing I want to do. When I have no choice but to do it, it cuts through my anxiety and it doesn't feel like an extra thing I'm doing but just the process to do what I want, which is level or kill an internet dragon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

The fundamental problem is that to a lot of people, there's no such thing as 'viable'. You are either Optimal or you are Doing It Wrong. It doesn't matter how much you enjoy the alternative build you created, you are Doing It Wrong because it is not the optimal build, and you are doing the same thing as someone playing an Ice Mage in FFXIV or just spamming autoattack in Guild Wars: You are choosing to play badly for your own amusement in a multiplayer game. You're basically trolling by not picking the optimal build.

Yeah. I try not to attack other people, but I definitely use this against myself. It's really annoying when I enjoy say a sub optimal talent pick, like Gloomblade for sub rogue over backstab, but it's suboptimal, so I'd rather just play another class where I can enjoy being optimal than a suboptimal build I enjoy on a class I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

You don't need THAT many people for a healthy MMO. Turtle wow only has one PvE server, right? How many people do you need for a healthy wow server, a thousand per faction? Five? Every time I log onto Turtle WoW to play it's fine, there are players in every zone and I can do whatever I want.

AFAIK FFXI back in the day had a max of about 4-5k people per server. I don't remember seeing more than 2k online on a server at once, but these are 20 years old memories so... But you absolutely can make an mmo server feel packed and lively with that many people if you design the game properly. Hell I don't know how you do an old school more field based mmo and make it work with more than that.