Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
It's hard for me to say to be honest. one thing i'd liked is great character customization. I'm not a big fan of mmos that give you so few options to craft a character, whether it be classes, skills, race, and appearance. another one has to be an interesting setting that ain't just a rehash of DnD or tolkien. Not sci fi as they might be doable.

For the combat system....real time combat is ideal. A hybrid would be fine too but I'm more of an actiony gal. moreover, i want it to have some deep depth that allows for some really interesting builds. It might get ruined by meta but who cares.

quest...Ya... no fed ex quest. please. We know how much folks hate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Glenn Quebec posted:

Dark Souls, but MMO. I'm being serious too.

I would pay good money for that poo poo.

question for you guys, if an mmo has no option to play as a human, would it fail?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

buglord posted:

Grinding aside, I can never take MMO stories seriously because the landscapes are generally unchanging based on story progression, and you see other "chosen one" players with super advanced gear. The games oftentimes like to pretend there's no other players hoping around, and you individually are sole savior of the world and this specific NPC's best friend. I haven't gotten into MMOs for like the past 5-7 years now, aside from niche ones like Wurm or Project Gorgon, so maybe this stuff has changed. I would like to see a semi serious MMO somehow address that you are one of many adventurers that'll all become galaxy saving heroes if you poopsock hard enough.

I agree with this and the games i'm playing now is a tad guilty of this too. It's rare to see an mmo acknowledging that other players to exist and even have quest for that. I guess the reason it's the way it is has something to due with devs feeling lazy. Now that might not be the case but that's my theory on the issue.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Dinictus posted:

City of Titans is a potential darling, but for as much as I love the idea of a City of Heroes/Villains revival game, CoX had much of the same issues with empty zones that I described above with regards to Guild Wars 2, and it almost wholly being made or broken by its community.

The mixed instances and ease of making groups, however, alleviated much of its mechanical shortcomings just so you could go ahead and clown on (or get clowned on by) enemies together with players running almost every power set combination imaginable. And almost everything could work, or even be viable.

I've seen the exodus from CoX to Champions Online, and both the gameplay execution of CO and the laissez-faire community (next to zero moderation in a fully customizable hero creator that allowed you to make veritable [and oft times utterly illegible] HTML novellas of self-importance or basically being F-list.net profiles [sometimes even with actual F-list.net profiles]) utterly soured me on the latter game.

I used to play champions for a while now until eventually leaving. really a lot of the character bios i've seen ranged from okay to cringe worthy bait. Now the idea of a superhero mmo would be cool, but I do agree that it might run into same issues as GW2 (which and tried and grew bored of) and CoH (which also didn't care about).

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Dwesa posted:

I think multiplayer games just become more and more streamlined. People don't want to spend months to level their characters so they can enjoy raiding, PVP or whatever. You can just play Pillars, Divinity or Witcher if you enjoy quests, leveling etc. and games like Path of Exile or Divinity have multiplayer. MOBAs took place of RTS games, because people just want to fight other players instead of spending time ordering your peons to cut trees and build more houses for other peons. Imagine not being able to change your class in Overwatch mid-game when you find out your tank or healers are incompetent, but you have to stick with your role during the duty in FFXIV. And I can't think of a new MMORPG in recent years that wasn't either a kickstarter scam promising 'revolutionary totally not clone of WoW' whatever, korean P2W grindfest or just another classic theme park MMORPG, so people just became tired of a genre and seek something else. And well, when you only want to fight other people, either solo or with a team, BRs are popular and they probably cost far less to develop than large MMOs.

this can't be said any better. as much as i do enjoy leveling to some degree, an mmo with the tedious level grind is a breath of fresh air. (though i'm not even sure if any mmo did the leveless play right). that and giving an actual incentive to socialize with people.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I'm gonna be honest and frank:

I grew up in the 2000s and as such I never really cared about more older 90s mmos goons like to talk about often and even more turned off by their controls. I know alot y'all are gonna call me one of these ungrateful kids, but that's how i am. I largely grew up in a era where WOW was picking up steam and gaining noteworthy here, even tried the free trial as 3 characters before leaving the game for other things. Play several free to play mmos with the one i stuck with being a game called TERA where i reached to level 80 something play a class of dual scythe wielding goth girls. before that I play things like allods online, wizard and pirate 101, random kids mmos, some random mmo I forgot the name of, champions online, and maybe warframe still i took a break then came back.

I eventually stopped playing mmos afterwards. I don't know really. maybe i cared too much about my work that I more or less just didn't bother doing games anymore. It's only just now that I care to play a few multiplayer games. Oddly enough, I found myself more interested in talking to people online than relying on mmos to do it for me. Sure, I'll miss the days when mmos were more social oriented but i'm content with discord and most forums.

and since i'm a younger player....this will sound controversial but....not a fan of old school game controls, especially those for the pc. things like LoL and PoE i'm fine with but again, I much prefer the wasd layout half the time. Or really, old school mechanics and what not like perma-death and harsher death penalties (but the reasons for my thoughts on it i wn't disclose as it might sound too personal). The reason I flat out quit warframe back in the day was the lack of guides on helping me understand the game better. If I did understand what was going on, I would have been a mr 30 in no time. I'm not saying games should be like those doting mothers that tells you everything about life but it won't kill me if they have brief explanations on WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON!

end of rant...

Mode 7 posted:

So it turns out a private server for City of Heroes has been privately running all this time with strict NDAs and ruthless banning of anyone who might reveal what was going on, but the secret is out now and Reddit is in butthurt histrionics about it screaming that City of Heroes subreddit mods were gaslighting them the whole time.

Ain't quite no drama like MMO drama.

Article here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/

as someone who tried city of heroes before dropping, this real? I'm not surprised considering I played on a private server for... scarlet blade....called vendetta...it's ironic cuz i'm female...and this game made me realize i may be bi

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Ruggan posted:

I don't think this is all that controversial. We all recognize that there's a hefty nostalgia factor to some of the oldschool stuff. Control and UI wise a lot of old games are trainwrecks. Steep learning curves are not fun for the average player and opaque mechanics can easily become frustrating.

I don't even think most of us really care about the strict mechanics themselves (permadeath / harsher death penalties) so much as the side-effects that they had on the nature of the world. A sense of mystique.

I'm sure you can recognize that even over the time you're talking about, games have really swung to cater to the lowest common denominator, and a lot of the rough but defining characteristics of MMOs have been buffed out. That was probably necessary for the mass appeal, but for many of us who got into these games before they were mass appeal, we see the games as having lost something in the process.

Personally, I look back at older MMOs not as being paragons of gameplay, but rather as a frontier - something exciting, unknown, and raw, something I felt engaged by and was excited to spend more time in for the sake of experiencing it. In the modern MMO era of wikis, instances, and automated market houses, the games lack that special something that really drew me in back when I was a kid.

to each their own honestly...yea know...this might sound werid....but for the longest time i wanted to make my own mmo or game...it has changed over the years of course but the core features remain the same...but in this day in age....why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Relentless posted:

It's real and a real drama bomb.

Servers are up and running again as of this morning, there's a whole thread dedicated to it right now.

Not super stable yet but we're getting there.

well...at least it's news right?