Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
There will never be another MMO as good as your first hit. There will be stuff that comes close but never as good as that first high when it was your first experience and had all the time in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I think Dragons Dogma Online would be a very good MMO is it every comes out in the west. A action RPG where I can freely changed classes with a single character and run around with bros taking down giant monsters by climbing them/fly around them/drop tornadoes on them? Yes please!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I said come in! posted:

Check out the sub reddit for DDO. Fans of done a great job translating it to english. Playing the Japanese version is very easy.

I tired that maybe a year or so ago. There was still a bunch of stuff what was un-translated that just threw me off.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Frog Act posted:

GW2 had a lot of good things about it but lmao at the dungeon system, holy moly, it was like they looked at WoW dungeons and thought "how could we do this, but for toddlers that have just been hit on the head with a mallet". the hardest bosses had like, one move that was an aoe they telegraphed, the whole thing would consist of maybe three or four pulls which were always just totally inconsequential, they were this incredible feat of non-creation. Just these bland forgettable fifteen minute areas where a group of people mindlessly button mashed until everything was dead because they balanced them in a way that ensured players would never have to heal, root, move, debuff, or think even once

God those were so fuckin bad I quit after doing them all and never logged back in once. Ill grant part of it might be my own love for the holy trinity but they can still make things hard without having stuff do damage for healers to mitigate. Shame cus the PvP was okay and the leveling PvE was actually really good

They fixed that by completely ditching the dungeon system all together and moving to fractals: 15 min mini scenarios that all play vastly different with varying puzzles/set pieces. (You have to do 3 in a row before heading back to the hub area) It works extremely well since there is a ramping difficult system that is completely up to the player on how hard/easy a fractal run will be.

You really should check it out since its some of the best 5 man content in the game with new fractals being added: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeahhhhhh.....The crew that did the translations put alot of effort into it but even then its still a hassle to keep everything up to date/still a ton of stuff that isn't translated.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm just shocked they were able to keep it a secret for six years. Funny as hell as the mods where actually gaslighting the whole sub-reddit about there being a secret server. I wonder if any goons where able to get in?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
At first DDO not coming West was kind of understandable since it was Capcom first ever MMO and they wanted to keep it easy but after all these years and the massive amount of sales porting Dragon's Dogma to multiple platforms I have no idea what the hold up is. There is even going to be a Netflix show in the US, release the F2P MMO already!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

puberty worked me over posted:

A real elder scrolls MMO would be funny as heck. Like I'm talking if you maybe allowed 100 players in one instanced shard of Skyrim's world and kept it on full PvP with full loot minus quest items. Add a basic grouping feature so a few friends can join the same instance and just watch the insane chaos unfold. Sort of like a medieval fantasy GTA V.

That would be fun for about a week before the super groups overlevel and outnumber the lesser off/small group/solo players and just gank the every leveling poo poo out of every one. And then players start quitting, causing the gankers to quit, until no one is left.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
What was the max players in that one zone of WoW before they made battlegrounds right after the pvp system was created? 100?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
All I wanted was Dragon's Dogma Online without a half rear end translation patch and dealing with a Japanese VPN but that dream is good and dead now.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I just wish there would more non-fantasy MMO, something with guns. I would love a updated Tabula Rasa without tab combat.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember when anarchy online came out as the first sci-fi mmo but it was pretty much fantasy in a sci-fi outfit.

Almost ALL of them where that. Wildstar was just WoW with a new coat of paint and lovely everything else.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're just a spaceship in that.

And lets be honest....Eve online isn't really a "action" game. I did like Earth and Beyond which I feel was a better take but since it came around 2002 it was pretty rough. Really like EA at least tried something different then another fantasy MMO at the time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I had such high hopes for Secret World cause, again, it was something different and let me shoot stuff with a shotgun. Too bad the combat was another reskin of tab combat but the mysteries and settings were really fun.

I kind of wonder if Remnant From The Ashes could work as a MMO buuuutttttttttt that is just basically asking for Dark Souls the MMO.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Kortel posted:

I'd like to see a combat system akin to Monster Hunter/Dragon's Dogma but with MMO level of players and more range options. You have a sort-of tab target system for new players but you quickly learn it's not useful after the learning phases. Climbing monsters is fun and destroying monster parts is a blast. It would be insane to code but drat would it be awesome.

Ha ha, if you where Japanese you would have played a Dragons Dogma MMO already. Sadly Capcom never really thought to bring it over to the West and shut it down in December this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Honestly Dragons Dogma Online sounded like a refreshing take of access to all classes in a single character, climbing massive monsters to take then out, and active abilities for range classes instead if waiting for a bar to fill. More of that in the West would be great.