Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Well no you're not going to be a teenager taking your first hit off the pipe again. They got big and complicated so they cost money to make, so investors want a return, so it has to be a WoW killer. Niche ones crop up but they're backed by Kickstarter and run by old flakes that really did need a publisher cracking the whip to accomplish anything, otherwise, they just sit around jerking themselves off. The player base got old and very few people want to sit around for 4-8 hours a night doing mandatory teamwork when there are so many other options out there for online play that's actually fun. If you're still an MMO player for whatever ungodly reason, World of Warcraft has over a decade worth of content, expansions, and quality of life adjustments, so playing another janky launch day MMO where poo poo is broken all the time and you can burn through the content in a month doesn't really appeal, especially since all your friends already play WoW, so you'd be starting all over as a level 1 scrub with a pointy stick. The MMO fanbase swarms over games like a bunch of emotionally damaged locusts, gutting what took years to make in a month then wandering off to the new hotness or hanging around bitching they don't have anything to do and demanding emotional support or fighting amongst themselves. If you want to play with friends, there's basically every game including console games. Nobody wants to play with the toxic randos that make up the MMO playerbase. poo poo, MMO players are so bad, Steve Bannon used them to undermine the US.

Pick your reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Bloodly posted:

Everyone thinks they want ultra realistic hardcore 'like real life' things where your survival isn't protected and you can rise to dizzy heights or fall just as far. Where things take forever to do and so this 'means something'. They think they want it hard for the sake of challenge.

There's a presumption that you'll be either on top, or watching and glorying in someone else's achievements from afar because hey, they did the work. Like they're actual celebrities.

They think they want 'another life'. I doubt this.

It's like every time a FFA PvP server opens, the population explodes, then dies off just as rapidly, because everybody thinks they're going to be the wolves. They spend all their time screaming for free for all PvP thinking they're going to be on top. But then they get on the server and get rolled by actual "wolves" and log off in a huff.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Okay but EQ/UO were literally the only options worth mentioning in their heyday (I mean what are they gonna do, run off and play Meridian 59?). EVE is literally the only game of its type. You can get away with poo poo like mandatory grouping and forcing the player to work with others through bad gameplay when they don't have any other choice. But from Vanguard to Wildstar, these HARDCORE MANDATORY GROUPING OLD SCHOOL MMOs come out and tank because nobody wants to put up with that bullshit anymore and everyone has gotten older so we aren't 18 with time to kill anymore. I'm not going to sit for 6 hours on a camp because I got a good group and am getting good XP because good lord if I have a free 6 hours I'm not going to waste it on MMO poo poo. :v: