Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
No. There wont.

Because there never actually were any good MMOs to start with, World of Warcraft is by far the most accessible, but it's just a giant theme park and all the sandbox MMOs are incomprehensible lunatic factories.

So no, there aren't.

It is possible, if you run a small private server with friends only, you could make a good "MMO", it just isn't really massive anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Zaphod42 posted:

Being subscription doesn't prevent them from selling inventory space though

Being subscription doesn't prevent them from anything, gently caress you, we want ALL THE MONEY! ALL OF THEM!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

D-Pad posted:

So there is a new game called Spellbreak I am in the pre-alpha for. When I first saw some footage I immediately was reminded of the spell combat in Asheron's Call that I have very fond memories of. When I looked up the team behind it turns out some of them are AC veterans so I think it is somewhat intentional. It is a battle royal game so I realize it isn't an MMO, but I know a lot of you have fond memories of Asheron's Call so I thought I would make a quick post. It is pre-alpha so it is missing a ton of stuff and not that great yet, but in the month I have been in they have actually made pretty significant progress. They do playtests on Wednesday and Sunday nights.

Video that shows off some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idow_cuMvHE

I have a referral link that gets you priority for pre-alpha access (I don't get anything from you using my link and you can sign up on the actual site if you want): https://proletariat.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a3d017f9122d9a1b603839ed4&id=49127653b5&e=64ca0cbbe4

Oh sweet poo poo on a stick. It's SEVENTEEN seconds, that poo poo could literally be all there is off the game.

It also looks like everything is moving through syrup.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I actually really liked Pandaria, it was nice and consistent and the theme was pretty much kept all the way though.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I said come in! posted:

A League of Legends MMORPG would probably be the game to overthrow World of Warcraft and re-energize the MMORPG genre.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh sweet merciless Eris, why? Why would you type that even as a joke?

League of loving Legends? The hell?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

every time I see this thread I just scream THERE NEVER WAS A GOOD MMO in my head, has anyone posted that yet

I do that every so often, nostalgia is a powerful drug.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Xun posted:

Is there anything even remotely good on the horizon? I feel like there's always some hubbub about survival pvp wannabe eve type ones and they always turn out to be unfinished ugly betas with no content and quickly die off. Theme parks are all Korean cash grab poo poo and it's not even worth looking at a trailer for those. Maybe I'm just old

There's no money in making other than Survival nonsense, Korean grindfests and Free2Play microtransaction nightmares.

That's it, there's simply no money in trying to do a World of Warcraft scale game, none of the big players wants to play, those that did, paid the literal price.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Glenn Quebec posted:

That was pretty good with the three different classes and like open warfare almost anywhere. The reboots went more and more carebear and died out.

Anyone remember that awful game FACES OF MANKIND?

That game's community was so insular and inbreed it was totally loving dumb. They just hated new players.

The police couldn't actually do it's job unless they had full consent, it was just so loving stupid.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Wouldn't an alternative to tab targeting basically being FPS controls? Aim the ability in a direction and hope whatever you're targeting is still around.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

THE BAR posted:

I just skipped around that entire video; his gear never changes. Maybe some stats go up, but he looks the exact same for four hours of footage.

E:

Guess I'm blind. But that ridiculous hammer and shield obscures so much that it tricked me into thinking it didn't change at all, which his clothes do.

The hammer animations are ripped straight out of GuildWars 2.

Seriously, it's almost to much, they only reason it's not a rip-off, is because the animations are worse.

Also, that hammer looks unbelievably stupid.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Mustang posted:

What I miss are things like the open world dungeons of EQ2. Instances are straight up boring as hell and exactly the same every single time you do them. The "story" in an instance also doesn't provide anything of value to them because if they have cutscenes people just skip them (who wouldn't after they've already seen them?) or it's a boss yammering about some boring bullshit while you stand there waiting for it to become attackable.

Oh yeah, we all loving looooooved doing Maraudon back in the day, we all loooooved it so loving much.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Truga posted:

uhh, i definitely remember oculus rift kickstarter happening at around the same time and crobber being excited about it. one of the (very early) playable versions even had DK2 support

it's since been stripped from the game because the game performs like absolute poo poo even in flat mode, but the dreams live on :v:

Yeah, Star Citizen went all "VR VR VR" ages ago, they made a lot of noise of eye tracking too.

Basically, any fad that ops up in the world of Video games and Star Citizen will latch onto it, hoping to pump more money out of the whales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Mr. Pickles posted:

He stole a lot though. People were eating up this poo poo, I was extremely mad at the time by how outrageous a scam this game was. Garriott and that bald dude must have made a killing

Garriott is also going down the NFT/Crypto path with his next "mmo", that obviously doesn't exist and never will.