Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I want something like an MMO version of Etrian Odyssey. Really, really good small-group dungeon crawls with a big focus on teamwork between party members and unique versions of the usual party roles. And ideally, dungeons that are more than just a line of trash encounters with some bosses breaking it up.

While that sounds perhaps more "realistic" than a truly sandbox MMO it probably isn't, because a lot of the things that make dungeon crawls fun in a single-player game would make them tedious in a game that asks you to repeat them.

While I'm dreaming, it'd also be awesome to have a game like that not rely on RNG for loot or endlessly repeating the same content for loot or tokens. Obviously an MMO needs to be able to reuse content or players will burn through it far too quickly, so instead, I'd love to see various special challenges for each dungeon that each reward different kinds of loot. That way, repeated runs aren't just doing the same thing over again, but doing it in a different way, with different constraints, remixed versions, that kind of thing.

This exists! Wizardry Online, but it's only in Japan now. Daybreak Games use to run the American version but they shut it down a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

i want everquest online adventures 2

I always wanted to play this game!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BexGu posted:

I think Dragons Dogma Online would be a very good MMO is it every comes out in the west. A action RPG where I can freely changed classes with a single character and run around with bros taking down giant monsters by climbing them/fly around them/drop tornadoes on them? Yes please!

Check out the sub reddit for DDO. Fans of done a great job translating it to english. Playing the Japanese version is very easy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you play Elder Scrolls in 3rd person, you are wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TalonDemonKing posted:

Age of wushu meets city of heroes

I'm really looking forward to City of Titans, but that MMO is still a very long ways away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WebDO posted:

Torn between calling to ban the OP because there was never a good MMO or trolling the thread by saying Fallout 76 will be the answer, please advise

Fallout 76 is going to sell a massive amount of copies and rewrite the sandbox genre completely. hosed up but true.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Of the MMORPGs in development, I am most excited for City of Titans but that is still like 100 years away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whoops!

What actually ended up happening was that Fallout 76 was a gigantic disaster that all reports indicate sold less than 1 million copies. I couldn't have been more wrong. :v: but I also couldn't have anticipated Bethesda loving this up so badly either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Asherons Call was great, I wish that game didn't have to shut down. Apparently the only thing that actually killed it was that it was using licensed software to run it's servers and it cost something like $10,000 a year. If Turbine had their own server software for the game then it would still be alive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A League of Legends MMORPG would probably be the game to overthrow World of Warcraft and re-energize the MMORPG genre.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frajaq posted:

legit don't know if you're kidding or not

....but I sure as well would play it!

I know that sounds absurd, but League of Legends is legit the most popular video game of all time and to this day still is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RagnarokZ posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh sweet merciless Eris, why? Why would you type that even as a joke?

League of loving Legends? The hell?

Because LoL, despite how much goons hate it, is the most popular online game ever that surpasses player numbers compared to anything Blizzard has ever made. And it's really not that hard to imagine an MMO dethroning WoW. The game has been on a steady decline for years now, and multiple MMORPGs (Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, Elder Scrolls Online) are all bordering around the same number of players as WoW.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm still not convinced an MMO is what Riot is actually making though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jokes posted:

FF14 is a good game, and it's about 3x the good game if you played final fantasy at all beforehand.

The vanilla content is a loving S L O G though. It's designed to show someone who's never played an MMO how to play a MMO and it does so in the most long-winded way possible. I recommend skipping ARR (the vanilla content) and just watching a summary or something becuase it takes a good 100 hours at least to get through.

My broken brain felt the opposite. I actually enjoyed the ARR content more, but felt that FFXIV dropped in enjoyment for me when the expansions came out and they started introducing 3 hour long cutscenes and massive amounts of backtracking and gated content.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ARK Lost is apparently a very good MMORPG that is getting a western release this year. So I am looking forward to that game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Licarn posted:

It's a very pretty game with high production values since they've spent almost US$100 million developing it, in a vacuum it could be okay, but they're going to be recouping that money somehow.

The devs are kinda forced into bringing it to the U.S. since currently China's government is not approving any new games to be released in their country.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

they are both hotbar / hotkey / press 1 to attack MMOs and they will bomb horrifically. No one wants to play this poo poo anymore.

Their crowdfunding success says otherwise, but whether or not they can draw in people outside of their niche fanbase remains to be seen. Pantheon is intentionally being balanced based on 1999 Everquest. Grouping after level 5 or so will be required, making this the most inaccessible MMORPG released in 15+ years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ugato posted:

I haven’t found many details but a lot of arpg players haven’t been getting excited for it. It plays well according to them and has some really amazing set pieces as well as (to me) looking really good in basically every visual aspect from level design and ambiance to animation.

The big questions are monetization (it’s supposed to be free to play with microtransactions) and pacing/longevity of an mmo with arpg style combat; haven’t seen anyone with answers to this. But it still looks fairly exciting.

This is a good review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbdFKT4iQU I watched this yesterday and it is what sold me on wanting to play once it came out in America.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This has been an oddly good year for me so far for MMORPGs. I've gotten new characters to the level cap in World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, and Elder Scrolls Online. Although i'm not doing the end game content in any of these because end game content is a trap and the only way to win is to not play that foolishness.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FFXI is anime Everquest. If Square-Enix could just modernize the UI it would be drat near perfect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

star eater posted:

The thing that makes FFXI bearable is botting.

But the thing that makes it fun is having little projects or goals to work on. Getting tons of gear for a new class you're leveling feels really good, and is only really possible due to third party programs like gearswap and such. Botting the grind and tediousness out of the game makes it.. uh... hard to play a normal game. But I did play on one of the private servers, Eden (which was emulating 75-cap era content with Aht Urghan jobs) and it felt completely different. More nostalgic for sure. But I don't have time for that, really.

I mean, I could, but I don't want to.

Are there any private servers that are up to date with the Live servers?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xyzzyx posted:

I want to go back in time to 1999 and experience Everquest 1 all over again.

ITT it's 1999 and I bought Everquest but couldn't play it because no 3D accelerator card, whoops.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

smarxist posted:

I admire McQuaids vision, even if game development has left him behind. Remember how if you were a spell caster you had to stare at your spell book to regen mana faster until like level 12? (20+ hours) Lol

I miss this UI.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there anything new about Lost ARK coming to America?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

So it turns out a private server for City of Heroes has been privately running all this time with strict NDAs and ruthless banning of anyone who might reveal what was going on, but the secret is out now and Reddit is in butthurt histrionics about it screaming that City of Heroes subreddit mods were gaslighting them the whole time.

Ain't quite no drama like MMO drama.

Article here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/

How functional is this private server, and how do you access it now that the word is out?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am just going to keep waiting for City of Titans.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WoW Classic is a way better game than current WoW.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

a goon in one of the wow subforum threads toxxed that WoW Classic would be more popular and have a higher player number than WoW Current lol

lol considering a wow sub gets you both games that can’t be possible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sandbox MMO is just another word for "we as developers did not have the money or resources to design interesting content." every sandbox MMO I have ever played has been utterly devoid of interesting things to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MMORPG space is now entirely mobile games. All of the biggest MMORPGs released in the last two years are on iOS and Android exclusively, and apparently some of them have playerbases that surpass numbers WoW couldn't even hope to achieve.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anyone playing conquerors blade? I downloaded it and played it some over the weekend. I'm enjoying the gameplay and premise so far.

Is it out of beta yet? I've been waiting for that to happen first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When I played the closed beta it felt like a far more user friendly / easier experience then For Honor, which is not a bad game but has a very steep learning curve.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

An MMO that I miss that I wish were possible to play today was Everquest Online Adventures.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Its interesting how different it was from EQ. Makes sense because you couldn't really play EQ on a controller, but they didn't just adapt the interface, they built a whole other world.

Seems almost wasteful when you think about it that way. Why not share a world so you could both work on expansions and get double the content or half the dev cost?

I know a lot of people were hoping the game would be ported to PlayStation 3 and at one point I think that was even the plan. I don't know why it had to shut down, a lot of people actually still played it. I actually watched final moments videos of the game earlier today and there were hundreds of players on to say goodbye to the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

:same:, mega :same: quoting a post i made earlier in this thread about how awesome EQOA was and why

I know there were attempts to bring the game back, John Smedly was on board with doing this back in 2015 but then controversy surrounding him forced him to resign. Now he works at Amazon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, EQ Next looked really bad and I forgot it was even canceled. Daybreak shutdown a lot of good and unique MMOs, but Everquest Next was not one of them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

theoretically it is happening, but it will obviously never, ever happen. there are probably a total of like a hundred people on earth who give enough of a poo poo about EQOA to even bother googling it.

https://www.projectreturnhome.com/

I had found that emulator last night actually, but its made like zero progress in over a year. At one point I know they were about to get the necessary files from John Smedly but then that never happened.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Smedly works on video games directly at Amazon in their San Diego office. This would explain why Amazon has yet to release anything besides that car game that is really low effort and based on one of their tv shows. :v: the only other game they have in the works really is New World.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come no mmos after eq went with first person as the default view.

It just doesn't work well for an MMO. The huge environments and only being able to see what is directly in front of you makes for a frustrating gameplay experience, and when you are fighting mobs they typically take up the whole screen because scaling of enemies is weird in MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamEyeAm posted:

There will never be an mmo as good as Asheron’s Call was.

Yes, it's called Project Gorgon.