Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
With Pantheon fully making GBS threads the bed, MNM is the best hope for retro mmo folk. (Embers adrift being the other, but it seems to be missing the high fantasy aspect, but I haven't looked into it much).

I've been all over the p99 and eq threads for... I dunno, forever, played a ton of both, so I'm like.. insanely the target audience. I feel like I gotta say that to be critical or you get flooded with "tHe GaMe iS nOt FoR yOu" nonsense.

The stress test was several hours of frustration. Not from a technical aspect, but how they've implemented their design.

- you spend the first 5 minutes scribing and memming spells/skills. Low level poo poo should scribe fast.
- your newbie note gives very insufficient directions, and says to just ask guards if you get lost
But the guards only give cardinal directions, and there is no compass/sense heading. And the main city is large and very organic feeling, which is cool, but very frustrating to learn with zero tools.
- the two newbie quests I tried both boiled down to "literally run all over town looking for random poo poo". Rogue one gave info on finding stuff at least. Ele one though is literally "go all over the city until you see emotes". And one of the objectives is in an area filled with red con kos mobs. This is the newbie intro quest. Thanks to server lag I could explore it, but searched everywhere and could not find the last bit. I got the "getting close" emote, but not the final. Then eventually you get killed, and it's a five minute run back, mem poo poo again, get your corpse, although you're likely to just die again.
- the ele one also requires doing weird mud poo poo, which I'm down with, but the game did nothing to really indicate or teach me what was required. I'm worried that will lead to this being a "read the wiki" game
- the level one trash in the newbie yard was likely to kill you solo. I like grouping, but let me get a feel for the class first. And if you did kill it, the exp was miniscule.
- you can sell your equipped gear, lol. Accidentally sold my weapon because of the laggy ui.

I love quests that aren't bear rear end. I like it being not only valuable, but required to read quests. No ! markers everywhere. I love navigating by landmark and learning the area. I don't like minimaps. I like not having a main map that shows my dot, which means you can't just play the map, which keeps you in the world.

The good news is that all of this is so freaking early. It's not like any of this overly matters. I was excited though, and got let down. I just wanted to do a trip report on what I experienced.

My plan for the December test is to find a group to run with. I bet that'll be a lot more fun than dying to level 1 mobs or "not really player tested newbie quests". Although the extra bonus test today did let me progress the rogue quest, and I'm curious to what the next step will bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Third World Reagan posted:

I like the idea of evercraft but I do not like the idea of joining more discords

I get why people do it, but same. I miss having a website that gave you a general overview at least of what the project is. Instead of "well, browse various channels and scroll way back or hope there's some pinned messages", or other crap.

Mr. Pickles posted:

At this point I'm wondering why people with a retro MMO itch are looking for new everquest when theres already... Everquest

Because live EQ is all at the top. If you're not already max level and ready to start raiding, it's a long, boring, solo road. Which is antithetical to what made EQ fun IMO. For emu servers, a lot of us have already played P99. Or we've just done those early continents multiple times through emus and TLPs, even recently, to not be interested in Quarm or whatever the latest popular emu server is.

Plus, the EQ engine is archaic. I'd like to play a game with a modern engine that knows how to scale with resolutions and can do things like "have proper mouselook that isn't tied to framerate making it go to poo poo when there's more than 10 characters in an area".

cmdrk posted:

It's funny because these are actually early EQ problems that the devs later solved and everyone seems to remember with rose tinted glasses. No corpse run / XP loss after a certain level, low-level spells scribing super quick, etc all came later. I remember extremely early on, people could loot your loving corpse if you gave them /consent to drag it :lol:.

Oh, I'm aware, lol. That said, on my two characters I made in 99, I didn't have trouble killing stuff in the newbie yard (cleric and later monk). Of course once you get to commonlands, yeah, grouping time.

I didn't remember low-level spells scribing quickly slowly though, but I take your word for it!

Corpse runs I still feel really torn on. I like the added danger and immersion it brings, but it's really too much risk and discourages exploration. I don't know what I want on that. Some balance between "I died, who cares" and "well now I'm naked and hosed and I de-leveled". I like the ideas of bonuses if you get back to your corpse. Maybe it leaves some exp and coin there, but you can go to a NPC to summon your corpse so you can get your gear back at least? Kind of like the NPCs in the guild lobby in modern EQ. I dunno.

cmdrk posted:

Muse's maps for EQ, the ones that everyone uses, were compiled and updated periodically from ~launch until he quit playing the game in 2002-2003?. Incidentally around that time they introduced in-game mapping tools. Just one dude's unpaid passion for the whole audience of the game did a fuckload to carry EQ. Who didn't have 3-ring binders full of maps?

He did all the ones on eq atlas? I never printed them off, but yeah, lived by that site. They were so good and charming. I loved that way to approaching things. It'd be nice to get it in-game. No pin, but a way to know the layout, and learn to navigate, annotate yourself if you wanted.

cmdrk posted:

during the last stress, I played with a few friends and we just did what we do in EQ: ignore all of the questing and poo poo and just grind. Don't think I ever found my guild master, whatever. It was fun, but I can 100% see how it would be awful and frustrating for people until the wiki/maps/etc are online.

Yep, that's my plan for the next one. Should be a better time, heh. I will note that you should find your guild area - even my rogue, the trainer sold several more skill scrolls and the ele one sold more even level 1 spells (like...your pet, you don't start with it). So you definitely want to get some levels and coin and get those goodies.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks for the website link!

I thought it was a Minecraft mod at first, heh.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I love LOTRO - the world is great and exploring middle earth is excellent.

It's good for when you want to just chill, love Tolkien (but not enough that you'll rage out if you think the lore is mistreated), play an easy game and just explore the corners of the world. No sub, and you get a ton of free content these days. You can realistically buy some of the later quest packs by currency you earn in game. The landscape is great and still pretty to look at today.

There is limited zoning (outside of dungeons), but...really, really limited. I think it's only 3 main maps - west of the misty mountains, east of the misty mountains, and Moria. Dungeons and raids are instanced, some cities are on their own map (usually dwarf towns in mountains). The east/west maps connect with zone lines in a few parts, but it's mostly one big world and it's great.

However, it's an easy game, very basic "collect 10 bear asses" quests. I think gearing at higher levels is terrible, but it doesn't matter unless you're doing dungeons/raids. The UI for your legendary weapon and upgrading it is terrible. But honestly, most of that poo poo also just isn't that important for 99% of the game.

Just don't go in expecting revolutionary gameplay or anything. Instead turn off your map, and go get lost in the Old Forest. Costs nothing to dick around in. Make a Hobbit and go try to deliver some pies! Don't forget to try to do the chicken quest - you get turned into a chicken, and try to make it to Rivendell without dying.

Edit: here's a big mega-map someone made of all the lands in the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/v7py34/lotro_interconnected_zone_map_reupload_u33/

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
EQ is a big game, and what made it special to each person is different.

Also, I feel like you're being very reductive to me posting about MNM, and skipping over any nuance. I found it frustrating that there's no way to know what north was, and that I'm still iffy on corpse runs, and you ignored everything else and said "you don't want EQ then", heh. And even then, I said it doesn't really matter, game ain't nowhere near even an alpha yet, who knows what it'll look like.

For me, I'm more like Frog Act. EQ was about exploring a world, it being dangerous, and most importantly, grouping with people. Quests that required you to figure stuff out (although nowadays it's wikis, but Alla has existed for a really long time too). Slow combat, which gave time for socializing, and didn't require high APM. The ability to not follow cookie cutter group comps and still hold down camps in dungeons. I know all of us EQ vets have stories of weird group comps that we made work, because you just took whoever was LFG and already in the zone.

Having sense heading, no xp loss on death, and quicker level 1 scribes wouldn't make EQ not feel like EQ to me. That stuff isn't even that important, and it's not a deal breaker (well, no sense heading / compass when everyone gives you cardinal directions is pretty bad, heh).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

shirunei posted:

Just drop a weapon on the ground this isn't rocket science

Lol that's exactly what one of my eq buddies said.

And in game maps would be cool, just no player icon. Like embers does.

I wish more upcoming MMOs would embrace high fantasy more. I don't need another open world forest with humans. Lean into new weird races and places. I feel like every mmo announcement is the same 3 biomes as their start.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

an iksar marauder posted:

I really do not understand people who want it to be an assumption that a caster at X level knows every spell available to the class at that level. They shouldn't. Spells are yours to keep and use forever, they can set you apart, if you're a caster they're your version of an important item or piece of armor or something. The moment you make spells cheap and purchased at a vendor or trainer like in WoW you might as well just automatically let people unlock them once of level, which is what WoW ended up doing eventually.

I like it when games treat spells basically like weapons are for melee. Finding better, rarer spells makes you more powerful. If a game has "your items are left on your corpse", then the spellbook being left behind as well makes sense.

Re: xp loss, it's just demotivating. Yeah, later it doesn't matter. Early on in a game it can be a real downer is all. And I think de-leveling should just be impossible.

Mr. Pickles posted:

It just doesn't "feel adventurous" at all, if that makes sense.

I agree with everything else you said, but I'd really disagree here - there's lots of adventurous questing in LOTRO. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of stuff that is easy mode. The vast majority is (unless you use the new landscape difficulty thing). But The Old Forest, the trail going up the Misty Mountains, Goblin Town, a lot of Moria, Morgul Value, parts of Mordor, Shelob's cave...lots of areas gave a huge sense of adventure for me. Those are just spots off the top of my head.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I only played it a couple of months at release. I got the mid 20s or 30s or something and lost interest.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Meskhenet posted:

there were a few perfect world type games you clicked the quest list and it took you right there., like you barely needed to play the game.

FWIW, what he's talking about, is not really anything like auto-play. It just helps when you think you're close enough but you're not, you click it, instead of nothing happening, you'll scoot up a little to it automatically and it'll then trigger the click.

It makes the game feel much smoother.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ledgem posted:

I had fun when I played maplestory back when it was relatively new. Whats wrong with modern maplestory?

Force gaming put out a video the other day about how they slowly lowered drop rates on cash shop stuff, including making the best results impossible to get and lied to the everyone about it for years.

Doesn't seem like a good game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any MMOs anymore that incentivize just mindlessly grinding mobs?

Well as you said, EQ obviously. Even live servers, you'll grind mobs a lot. Same for the various emulated servers, P99 and Quarm probably being the most notable current ones.

Runescape comes to mind too - I haven't played a lot of it, but I know there's lots of grinding in it (both Old School and the current version).

GW2 has reasons to grind mobs sometimes as well, although more typically you're grinding with a zerg doing the zone meta events.

In LOTRO you grind mobs for what are called "deeds". Like, "kill 200 orcs in this zone", which gives you a specific type of exp to use for one of its character progression bits, albeit a comparatively minor one (you grind quests for basic character leveling). But every zone has tons of deeds, and the game has tons of zones. You could easily take it slow and grind most deeds before moving to a new zone (but that sounds miserable to me, but to each their own!).

M&M and Pantheon (lol) will probably both have a lot of mob grinding, but who knows when/if either of those will ever see the light of day.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
You just map walk forward and a skill key to the same key, put sense heading on it, boom.

Then afk in the ocean at Freeport over night and hope your toon wasn't slowly drifting away from the corner, for swimming. Gotta be able to get through sirens grotto fast!

Then use auto hotkey for the rest, like casting skills :D

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

cmdrk posted:

What makes EQOA significantly different from EQ?

It's completely different, in case the other replies didn't make that obvious.

Still set on Norrath, but it's as different as eq2 is to eq1.

I never played it, or really even knew it existed, until well after it was dead. I think it'd be cool to run around and see another interpretation of Norrath.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My Evercraft Online trip report:

Good:
It's literally EverQuest

Bad:
It's literally EverQuest

If/when this game goes to charge money, I wonder if Daybreak will come after them, for the name if nothing else.

I'm a huge EQ nerd. I have serious brain worms with EQ. But even I know that not all its design choices were good ones. There are some things the MMO landscape has learned, that you can still have without turning it into a themepark. "Baby's first MMO" mistakes like "send everyone to kill 4 bears, but there's only 4 bear spawn points, and they only drop the thing you need 10% of the time" nonsense.

There's also some UI annoyances, that can all be chalked up to "it's pre-alpha dude". But hopefully stuff like searching and sorting in merchants. Also trying to sort through vendor spells is annoying (if they got the trainer UI, that'd be so much better, just have it poop out scrolls instead), as well as things to let you know if you've learned them or not already. All minor crap though.

Seems stable enough, and the answer to any "how does X work?" is "however EverQuest did it". I'd hope that get away from the boring trope that ever single MMO starts with of "hey you're in a forest, there's a snow zone and a desert zone too". Put in the high fantasy stuff from the start, instead of just dogs / rats / skeletons. It's just boring. But meh, that's just one of pet peeves - but it does stop me from even bothering with a lot MMOs.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
What if the TREE punched YOU?!

Hire me already, geez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
...dammit, you're right! And I've played a *ton* of LOTRO.

I am ashamed.