Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Good MMORPGs come out all the time. The real question is if MMORPG developers will find a way to get around the "I play the MMO that my friends play" problem that strangles them all.

Also I want a sci-fi MMORPG that doesn't crash and burn like Wildstar / Tabula Rasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Frog Act posted:

Anyone else play Fallen Earth? It had potential before it went totally belly up

It got bought by a new company who's CEO considers it his personal pet project. He's being pretty upfront about the problems they are having trying to get it to a point where they can even consider improving it, it is interesting to see.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Frog Act posted:

can you elucidate? I really liked the game's basic conceit vis-a-vis skills and crafting, driving cars and doing pvp in the desert was dope, and it honestly had an excellent loot system. when did that happen

Little Earth bought it so that the CEO could basically make it a pet project. After he bought it, he posted this:

quote:

Hi everyone,

It's now been about 3 weeks, and I want to take some time to speak directly to the Fallen Earth players.

First, I know there have been lots of questions asked on the forums. I have spent some time reading many of these, and I found them intricate, well written, and virtually impossible for me to answer right now for reasons that I'll explain below. I also want to acknowledge the many players who have reached out to me offering help or detailed walkthrus of some of the issues plaguing the game. That kind of detail helps. I've been in-game a little messing around with specific mechanics to familiarize myself with some of what has been talked about, and I'll continue to get up to speed.

Second, I don't have a long term plan or roadmap for the game yet. I'm still in the investigation phase.

So instead I thought I would write a short post to talk about where we're at and what we have to work with, because I think that will guide how we proceed.

The codebase for Fallen Earth is split into three parts:

- The original Icarus engine and tool set used to build and maintain the world

- The Frontend client / updater

- The Backend servers

Let's start with the Icarus Engine and tools.

Unfortunately, there is some code missing here. We have one developer who has been slowly reverse engineering the missing pieces just so we can get the tools back up and running. There has been some progress, and we obviously have the output from the engine, which is what the servers operate on. So in theory the tools could be entirely replaced some day. But the editor itself doesn't work right now.

Next the Frontend client.

We have all the code, and it is theoretically possible for us to patch the game or the updater. However this code is significantly old. It requires tools that are more than a decade in age, installations of old libraries, and very customized windows installs to even build everything. It is a matter of time before current operating systems wont be able to run this client. We need to think ahead and start migrating to something much newer and maintained. This means a complete rewrite using the framework of what has been built as a roadmap.

The challenge is that we also don't have any of the source art files. No 3DSMax files. No PSDs. No high rez textures at all. We have reached out to the original dev team to see if we can get these, but in their absence, we will need to create these files from the data that ships with the game.
This is not at all ideal, since these files have all been compressed or down rezed to work. But it will at least be a starting point, and it will give us an idea of scope for the art, so we can assess how extensive it will be to rebuild.

Lastly the Backend client.

This is in the best shape. The developer who is currently assigned to the project has been able to piece everything together so that each server can be rebuilt and redeployed. I think this is where we can make the most short term improvement to the game by fixing bugs and exploits. Ultimately we will still want to migrate these systems into whatever the new framework is so they can be more easily maintained.

Where do we go from here?

Please don't read this as Little Orbit giving up, or even us being discouraged. I knew most of this before we took over GamersFirst. I just want to share where we are at, and that it's going to take some time to provide a clear roadmap of how we're going to rebuild. From there, we can look at the design and possible changes down the road.

I am still looking to schedule some time to answer as many questions as I can with players. I'll have Lixil post that update when we get a little closer.

Thanks,
Matt

Updated a little later:

quote:

This week was E3, so I didn't get a lot of time on Fallen Earth.

We have been able to extract the compiled game issues from the main data file.

We have been able to get about 40% through re-organizing all the C++ code. The main problem was that several core libraries were copied and included several times. It's impossible to know which version is the most up-to-date, but it's clear they aren't all the same. So we've started moving everything into a new repository with each library referenced and only included once. We still have to do this for all the server code and some of the front end code, but we were able to get some of the tools recompiling this way.

Thanks,
Matt

and

quote:

Hi everyone,

I've started this update multiple times, and for various reasons I set it aside. But my communication with the FE community has honestly been piss poor. Sometimes managing GamersFirst is like drinking from a firehose.

As I stated in an earlier post, I'm frustrated with the game right now. The code is an ancient mess that barely compiles under current development environments. We have nearly constant problems with server lag and stability. We're missing all the source art to the game.

And we have problems with cheaters. Above and beyond everything else, this last one is the most problematic.

I would prefer to spend our money on fixing the game - not on expensive anti-cheat. But at this point I can't ignore the issue any longer. Since my options are limited on the front end, we have begun working on a custom server-side cheat detection system. This wont be an overnight solution, but at least we can largely introduce it without disrupting the game - or even patching. I do want to thank several members of the community who stepped forward and helped provide copies of various cheats. Those are helping us tune things, so we can properly detect cheaters.

Aside from anti-cheat, we are making progress in a number of other areas.

The core server code is being completely written from the ground up. I would estimate we are about 10% complete so far. There's a lot to do, as Fallen Earth is a big game that supports a lot of features. I don't want to get everyone's hopes up. This is slow and tedious, but I'll keep updating the community.

Another area we have been working on is the lack of source art. I'm happy to say that we have been able to successful export a sizable amount of static game geometry, materials, and textures so we can recreate them in another engine. Our strategy is to first bring everything over so we can make sure the maps and areas still fit together properly based on the server-side data and placed instances. From there, we'll make a PBR pass on the materials. For those that don't know, PBR stands for Physics Based Rendering, and in a game like Fallen Earth, we can vastly improve the look of the game by simply adopting better rendering methods. After that we'll make a pass to tessellate and upgrade world terrain based on the original height map data. And then we'll look at specific upgrades to characters, monsters, etc.

The initial progress bringing over buildings is far enough along, that despite my better judgment, I'm going to provide screenshots of a small area we mocked up in-game. This is just work in progress. Still so much to do, but it's is a good start.

(Screenshots are here)

There's also a Q&A that has some pretty candid reveals, including an admission that, even counting non-steam players, the population is so low that other MMOs closed shop reaching that level.

Besides trying to re-develop the game, they are also having a heck of a time trying to access records about who was banned and why!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I said come in! posted:

Asherons Call was great, I wish that game didn't have to shut down. Apparently the only thing that actually killed it was that it was using licensed software to run it's servers and it cost something like $10,000 a year. If Turbine had their own server software for the game then it would still be alive.

They actually brought AC2 back for a while, it was really fun. What actually killed them was that it had one Dev who actually understood how to even get it running (Severlin) and when Standing Stone split, they got Sev but not the rights to Asheron's Call.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

To save MMORPGs, we must remove tab combat, themepark storylines, levels, and PvE-only zones.

Unfortunately, if we remove tab combat, themepark storylines, levels, and PvE-only zones, the game is no longer an MMORPG.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Only a bodhisattva can know what a good MMORPG is, this is why we are left with the illusion of suffering from bad mmorpgs.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really turn-based combat with automatic turns set by ticks. Its much more of a strategy game than an action game. Its closer to Final Fantasy than it is to Diablo.

This is why it's fun. Turn based combat is great.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

blatman posted:

is Rift good again or is it still dogshit?

It's still like it was, but Gamigo is actually trying to start pushing out new stuff, so we'll see how it goes. The new developers and CMs are way better at communication though.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Jintozook81 posted:

Define a good MMO? The term has become so broad, and so many different types have emerged. Players all want different things out of them. I suppose a "Good" MMO is whatever makes you happy.

Most MMORPGs are good, that's why I have 15 installed on my SSD.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The only bad MMORPG right now is Everquest 2, and that's because it went from absurdly high quality expansions with awesome overarching stories and cool aesthetics to whatever the hell they are doing now, which apparently $80 expansions that consist of five quests and require you to spend money upgrading abilities because "We don't want to attract new players, just get old players to resubscribe."

Everquest 1 is still good, though.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

:getin:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Pants Donkey posted:

How the gently caress is Trion even still around? They had what, one mild success with Rift, and at least two duds? There was also that voxel game that was clearly trying to scoop up players from Cubeworld (which actually released recently :psyduck:). Oh, and an MMO...RTS that died in the crib.

Are they just the Uber of developers, taking in cash from idiot investor who know Trion’s gonna strike it rich any day now?

They aren't, they made a ton of predictable business errors and faced bankruptcy and ended up getting bought out by Gamigo, who fired almost all the staff.

As someone who has Rift installed as one of his 15 bad mmorpgs, I'll say this: The Gamigo guys are way more interactive with the community than the guys from latter-day Trion (lol @ the Rift twitter being "Tell us your favorite color!" level stuff) but they are still trying to figure out how to add new content.

The guy they've got in charge of design just created a set of test "t3" raid bosses that are spawning in the newbie zones so they can figure out how to tweak it. It's a good sign in the long run, but man, it's kind of sad watching it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Remember Ocho trying to justifying taking away weekly dungeon loot from f2p players in Rift by saying, "Ah, but if you can only get dungeon loot once a day... more people will run dungeons!" I have still never figured out how the hell that was supposed to work.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

cmdrk posted:

wheres the drat project 1999 of AC?

Right before the game shut down, they had announced that they were going to release the server files so anyone could run their own server. Before they could do it the studio split happened and the actual developers left to form Standing Stone. They were able to take DDO and LOTRO with them, but Turbine retains the rights to Asheron's Call. In addition, by the end, both AC and AC2 were being run by a single developer - Severian? - who left with the Standing Stone team.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Biowarfare posted:

Huh, apparently Trion is = WildTangent, and the only place I've seen WT stuff is adware and malicious toolbar crap.

Trion isn't Wild Tangent, both Trion and Wild Tangent got bought by Gamigo. The Trion games are in various states of maintenance mode - The Gamigo team on Rift is still trying to figure out how to add new fights to the game to the point where they are testing their ability to implement raid mechanics by literally sticking a "test rabbit please ignore" raid boss in the newbie zones. The rift twitter has nothing to do with the game, it's amazing - it's just stuff like "What are your hopes and fears this summer? :X"

kedo posted:

It's mostly the latter. Most MMOs these days (let alone most video games in general), simply aren't made with mechanisms that accommodate that sort of emergent gameplay. SWG and UO are the only ones I can think of that were open-ended enough to allow players to do the sort of thing you're talking about. The introduction of instancing and the elimination of player housing and non-combat styles of gameplay took a lot of the heart and soul out of the genre, but they also widened its appeal to pull in a hell of a lot more players.

DRWN posted:

What was a good MMO?

Ultima Online? Probably.
Evercrack? Most likely.
Eve Online? Maybe.

In my opinion, they were good because the genre was new to us. We didn't start off playing those games by multiboxing 19 accounts and creating afk farming bots. Well, some of us did eventually.
Most of us liked the idea of an adventure and meeting new people on a platform other than the one called IRL. It was fun, it was moderated.

In UO, catching a fish, cooking, and trying to sell it in front of a bank was good, fun, and felt natural. Then you could try to save up for a boat, or maybe try out mining. But you could lose everything, you could be scammed, you could be robbed, you could be pissed. You wouldn't send a ticket because someone looted your poo poo. In EQ, you could actually discover a map. Find a gnoll cave, get acquainted with the people who go there, make friends, and grind somewhere else together. These games weren't even perfect. They were actually very limited, UI was bad, balance issues, illegal scripts, bugs were rampant.

bewilderment posted:

"Towns are a lobby, everything else is instanced" doesn't always work as a model but a bunch of MMOs are heading that way anyway even if they nominally have an overworld. If you're not levelling a new job then FF14's open world is basically devoid of other people most of the time and right now it's only populated because the current event incentivises participating in low level public events.

I'm convinced that "MMORPGs" as a genre is just a collective delusion that we've all had since 1999. Half the games we call MMORPGs don't even have core gameplay loops in common. We've got people that pine for the days of full PVP loot, crafting, building houses, cooking, and yet for some reason we are looking to games descended from Everquest - tab targeting games about doing quests and raiding - to provide it instead of something like Conan Exiles, a game about crafting, building houses, cooking, and PVP. Eve Online isn't lumped with multiplayer strategy games, instead we are going to pretend that it's more like Guild Wars 1 than any other genre. It's absurd.

The only thing these games have in common is persistence, and even that is leaking into every other type of game on earth.

I'm happy with the state of what I am calling the "Tab Targeting Genre" tho.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

CYBEReris posted:

the catch with ffxiv is that you really have to enjoy the journey. like 90% of the people I know who bought a skip burned out of the game because they weren't invested at all in the ongoing story or the characters. they'd enjoy one raid tier and then peace out.

a lot of the quests are more of an excuse to get you moving between points to fill in the world and set up plot points that get knocked down later.

A lot of people say that if you struggle in ARR it's because you don't enjoy the story, but I don't think that's true. I think ARR feels even worse if you enjoy the story.

I care about finding out who the masked dudes are, what the deal is with primals, what's going to happen to the ala mhigan refugees, what the monetarists are up to, etc.

What I don't care about is the 5 hours of quests where I am not really involved with any of those things, because I am having to go to zones across the world to make an omelette so that a dude can tell me primals are bad, which is established like immediately after you hot level 15. Omelette lore is not the interesting part of the story.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zaphod42 posted:

But in EQ when you die you don't just get kicked back to your respawn location, but you lose experience and even drop all your loot, which you can potentially permanently lose. That's more harsh than dark souls! And yet mooooost of the time in EQ if a party wipes its not particularly toxic. It sucks, but you don't usually attack each other even when things go really, really bad. People usually apologize and you work together to get back to your corpses or hire a cleric or something. So that goes against the grain of investment being a major factor.

Keep in mind the time difference between "doing a dungeon" in EQ and WoW though. If I'm going to a dungeon in EQ, it's not to take a 30 minute linear journey - usually you are going for a specific mob, in which case you just have to get to it, or just for xp or rep or whatever which doesn't really require you to "progress" in a specific way.

And while you might spend a few hours on there or whatever, a lot of that time is going to be waiting around - in which case it's way easier to be nicer because you are all chilling between bouts of action.

As much as people blame dungeon finder for people not being social in dungeons, a lot of it is just that the pace of the game is difference and you really don't have room to breathe in modern game dungeons. You always have to be 100% on.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

punk rebel ecks posted:

Paying for expansions is fine to me if it has as much new content to warrant a $70 price tag. It's not really an expansion pack if it offers a 40 hours long main story quest and tons of extra stuff. And since the game will cost $40, it's already severely discounted due to my membership.

I was being salty about the degrading quality of EQ2 the other day and did some number crunching, and after a certain point their expansions went from adding 300-600 new quests to 30. Price stayed the same, though!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zaphod42 posted:

And even Cyberpunk, the people in those deep dives weren't really "lying" because they had plans to build those things, and half-built or even mostly-built lots of it, but they had to rush release and cut lots of things because they were buggy and even then it was crazy buggy. But they didn't lie, they just didn't know that the management would rush it out the door without letting them build all the things they'd already designed and advertised.

To get back to MMO chat, I've never actually played dark age of camelot but I've heard so many things about it, its one of the few big MMOs I've never at least tried. I should try to find a private server because it really does seem like the best Realm vs Realm MMO ever from how everybody talks about it.

Be a rebel and play Dark Age of Camelot on the live, PVE server, Gaheris

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FrostyPox posted:

I dl'ed EQ2 because I want to see if it's as bad as I remember.

Bad animations, questionable graphics (yeah, yeah they were going for "realistic" in 2004 but I can't help but feel like I'm playing Reboot: The MMO). I never liked how the game looked.

Bad spell effects

Forgot about the loving insane ability bloat when I looked at screenshots of higher level players, literally 6 hot bars full of abilities

Never clicked before, still doesn't click now.

I'd love to play Eq2 again but there has been a graphics bug on newer cards that just makes stuff in newer zones disappear until you stand right next to them and support has been useless.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kevin Bacon posted:

do mmorpgs go to heaven? is tabula rasa, fallen earth, vanguard saga of heroes, star was galaxies, asherons call, wild star, the matrix online etc just hanging out up there somewhere, waiting for us?

I'm holding out faith that one day Fallen Earth will return to us in it's full glory, as promised by Little Orbit!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

It felt like Everquest. They nailed that part. I leveled a mage and druid, and except for the (better) graphics, it is straight up EQ1 with some neat tricks. (Apparently there are spell conditionals that rely on being near specific voxels, i.e. you have to be this close to a tree voxel to cast this druid spell, etc.)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Anyone planning on trying the vampire MMO that's going into early access in two weeks?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

On the one hand, that's all really horrible. On the other hand, I love bad MMORPGs so much that I am still subscribed to Sierra Online's "The Realm Online" (1996).

The list of previous MMORPGs the team worked on is also funny:

Three dead MMOs (one listed twice!), and one MMO for children (????)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

jokes posted:

Gonna circle back to MUDs

Wouldn't mind this tbh. There was a rad MUD back in the day where you could own a spaceship and fly to different planets, it ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tim Cain's Wildstar post-mortem is wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMY5LUNdS-8

The funniest bit so far is him getting into such a big beef with the art director that the art director tried to remove the entire esper class without telling anyone until a meeting?

edit: lol at a meeting so bad that four leads quit.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 6, 2023