Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bloodly posted:

City of Heroes. More specifically, the Mastermind pet system. Pets are usually a single thing, and they're more like auto-damage, because they only get one or two moves. This is also true of many single player games.

Mastermind pets still had a limited selection of moves, but they had more than most, and included buffs and aoe and things. There was usually about 6 of them, so you're a walking army. The direct movesets you yourself had had some basic damage, but the make up of your skillset was more in buffs and debuffs to support the army.

Not exactly a MMO, but have you played Guild Wars 1? You recruit henchman to bring with you into the zones that have as many active skills as you do. Starting with the 2nd expansion, they added NPC heroes with skillbars that you could completely customize and eventually break the game over your knee. There's also a cash shop option to use your other PCs on the account as NPCs, so you can bring more heroes of a given primary class than the game's progression supplies you with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Third World Reggin posted:

I've set it up for about 5 people now and it is fun. But there are currently some newbie traps.

If you never played dragons dogma, each class you level up can unlock passives that any class can equip.

The trick to this is to level up one class, probably a red dps class, then level your pawn up as well, and if you want to level something else afterwards, use your pawn to power level you.

But so far it isn't that bad of a game, you just won't read any of the plot ever.

Is it like the original in that class level and character level are separate things and whatever class you are when you increase your character level will permanently affect your stat development?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You both answered your own question and told us that you don't really care what the answer is anyway, but yes, you're correct.

It's basically Guild Wars 1 with a max party size of 4, but it trades in PvP for the stuff you mentioned, the ability to climb monsters, and more grinding.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Third World Reggin posted:

Thank you mudfish vpn for being cheap.

Tried using the free VPN listed in the 2 year old reddit guide, SoftVPN. While it worked great for (slowly) downloading the patch, it's servers are too slow to allow me to connect to the game, based on what google says about the error message I've been getting.

So, I dropped a few bucks on mudfish and turned on the DDON item. However, the game launcher is giving me what I assume (from experimenting with turning SoftVPN on and off at various times) is the "wrong region" message where it won't even get to the "enter your login info" screen.

How did you get mudfish to work?

e: Finally got it working. Had to set it to full VPN mode and make sure the selected server for full VPN and the selected server for DDON matched, then turn mudfish off and back on again. However, still running into the same slow connection problem as the free VPN. Is there a particular one of mudfish's Japanese servers that you use which consistently works?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 4, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

No luck. Tried about 10 different servers, including some of the Linode servers and everything times out after I hit "start game" on the main menu, then closes the game and restarts the launcher.

e: Figured it out. Had to turn the VPN workaround off. Once I did that, I could use the free VPN to connect just fine. Can't seem to go without it, though, even if I turn the workaround back on.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 4, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Xerophyte posted:

I've come to the conclusion that personally I don't really give a poo poo about the "massive" part of MMOs. I like buddying up with 3-20 likeminded strangers, exploring strange places, meeting strange new creatures, beating them up and taking their pants. I don't want a sandbox, or a living world, or any of that junk: I want a directed experience and a solid narrative, thanks.

Secret World Legends? One of the better MMO storylines out there, good voice acting and NPCs, and zone maps have a low max population by design. You won't be able to zip through the storyline without doing side quests, but many of those explore the lore of a world on the brink of supernatural apocalypse.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 7, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i am developing an open world player driven build your empire crafting fantasy MMORPG that features a time based passive classless skill progression system and ruthless player on player interaction

Except for the time-based passive skill progression, you've just described Ultima Online.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Glenn Quebec posted:

Name me a single MMO in recent history that could even capture this well.

Mechwarrior Online?

I remember a line of toys from when I was a kid which was dinosaurs equipped with modern/sci-fi weaponry. I would totally be a triceratops with a rocket launcher.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

dogshitboy posted:

What about this new mmo boundless

Alexander DeLarge made the OP for it here, which means it's never getting out of early access.

e: Apparently, official release was today. I guess there's a first for everything.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does the pawn AI improve over time, like in the original? I mucked around with it long enough to get my second pawn, but couldn't figure out the command for "stop standing in the poison water and casting condition removal on yourself over and over, the shore is literally a body's length away from you, you loving idiot".

Also, I gave Monster Hunter World a whirl based on playing DDON and I'm enjoying getting trampled by dinosaurs while trying to beat them to death with a set of bagpipes. I can't climb them, but can allegedly ride them.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 17, 2018