Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
My only disappointment with this game is that the multiplayer, while fun, feels really barebones even in comparison to previous games. 4v4 multiplayer just feels really small-scale compared to the relatively massive single player missions. I’d love to see some sort of 12v12 Siege mode with a big battle going on on the ground with objectives each team has to attack/defend, or something.

Oddly enough, I think Assault Horizon actually supported 8v8 matches and objective modes, but I hardly touched that game and frankly the less said about it the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

E: doublepost

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I really should rant about how weak the final mission in this is. One of the things that always stuck with me about this series is how cool the final mission in each game is- the ones that stick out most are the final mission of 4 which occurs in the midst of an armageddon-level asteroid event, the final mission of 0 which is probably the coolest 1-on-1 dogfight in the series to date, and the last mission in 6 where you have to assault a gigantic doomsday cannon base that has a loud ominous voice doing a countdown.

The final mission in 7 is a relatively easy dogfight against a pair of experimental drones while your 12 teammates do nothing except for a couple randos who die. Then you do a tunnel run which is kinda neat until you reach a large chamber where... the last enemy just lazily flies around and does nothing while you shoot it. Then you shoot some light fixtures and fly up. Boring. The game’s story made such a big deal about how Mihaly’s experience and skill gets uploaded to those drones and I was hoping that the drones would actually be intimidating and scary and harder to fight. Maybe they could taunt you by playing back the recordings of the people Mihaly killed, like imagine them chasing after you while saying *kssshtt* THE WEAK GET EATEN. *kssshht* I’M SCARED. or something

My point is, they need to hurry up and release Ace Combat 8 already because I’m starting to get impatient.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I’m on my fifth playthrough of this. Just wrapped up my MG-only playthrough (I hate that last mission even more now) and am currently on my <4 hours+no damage playthrough. I LOVE this game and I’m so excited to play 4/5, and Zero again.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

The other control option in ace combat games seriously hinders your ability to play and I don't know why it's there

IIRC Novice controls were essentially designed to give players who are more used to a grounded 3D game world (platformers, driving games etc) a feel for the general style of play and a more three-dimensional style of movement, and new players are meant to adjust them to Standard about a couple of missions in. For some reason they changed it to ‘standard’ and ‘expert’ in this one, which just upends everything.