Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
bada BING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
A man once came out and told me and my friend Eric to stop kicking a football at the side of his house and that he was an ex Hells Angel and we shouldn't piss him off. We were about 8 at the time, and live in rural Cornwall.

This has been my only encounter with organised crime. Thanks for listening.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Boardwalk Empire is one of my favorite TV shows of all time

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I liked the show McMafia on amazon prime. It gets a little masturbatory at times about I don't know, englishness? But overall pretty interesting how things work these days.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Whitey Bulger did not allow heroin into Boston, nor did he permit selling to children. He was big into physical fitness and loved animals.

Pretty nice guy IMO.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

My mother's mother's side of the family was apparently part of some organization in St. Louis and they broke into pay phones for the nickles lol.

cnut
May 3, 2016

dkj posted:

My mother's mother's side of the family was apparently part of some organization in St. Louis and they broke into pay phones for the nickles lol.

Have you retired on these nickels?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming Ma Bell hired Pinkertons to kneecap all of them and reclaim said nickels.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
nothing a few baseball bats and some bycicle chains cant fix

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Laterite posted:

I'm assuming Ma Bell hired Pinkertons to kneecap all of them and reclaim said nickels.

this was a plot point in suttree lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lime Tonics posted:

nothing a few baseball bats and some bycicle chains cant fix

what are the bicycle chains for, standard hitting? why not go for something a little meatier then

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

what are the bicycle chains for, standard hitting? why not go for something a little meatier then

you can beat people up with a sack full of oranges, it doesnt leave bruises.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
One time I was eating at an all night place in Greek town in Chicago. These two guys wearing leather jackets who looked like people pretending to be gangsters from what they had seen in movies came in and it was super obvious they were given an envelope full of money from the guy at the register.

So basically I'm in the mob.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*pricks finger, burns picture of St. Stupidus*

Ey, Paisanos. I'm in finally part a da thread. Now I'm gonna mug in the mirror while I comb my hair.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I'm hoping I did that right. :ohdear:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
This is a real nice granite quarry you have here. It'd be a real shame is if something were to...

*grabs pickaxe and strikes a rock*

...happen to it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

*leads greenhorn through the front door of the Olive garden* "Now yousa parta da family, kid"

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its the peaky fookin bloinders

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lime Tonics posted:

you can beat people up with a sack full of oranges, it doesnt leave bruises.

A 2 liter of orange soda will work, too

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

marijuanamancer posted:

its the peaky fookin bloinders

I only watched two eps but that show disappointed me

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

1redflag posted:

*leads greenhorn through the front door of the Olive garden* "Now yousa parta da family, kid"

"All da breadsticks you want, they're yours."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've known people who did the worst crime of all, contraband importation and piracy of VHS tapes of popular Hollywood movies across the Iron Curtain. They were pretty organized idk :shrug:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Icochet posted:

This is a real nice granite quarry you have here. It'd be a real shame is if something were to...

*grabs pickaxe and strikes a rock*

...happen to it.

A good joke from an honest working man

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, see.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I've always wanted to get involved in organized crime but I have no friends or smarts in a specific area other than petty shop lifting.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hello everyone I would like to organize a crime

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

fakeaccount posted:

So while we're on the topic, how do I organize some crime? Like what's my first step?

Presumably, you get "organized" and plan out your crimes so they aren't random. I guess if you're solo that just means more planning. If you're needing a crew, gotta go hiring. But the best businesses are the ones that run themselves so you gotta have a front for your rackets.

Now, if your imagination has stirred at all when reading all that - congratulations! You have what it takes to be an "organized" criminal!

shahadien posted:

I actually worked with organized crime for a long time...am out now, but don't mind laying out some of the methods for those who are curious?

Sure, post it all! This stuff is always entertaining even if it isn't always 100% true!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The police like to brag and talk poo poo about how criminals are dumb and always get caught but maybe they just don't ever catch the good ones and it's confirmation bias on their part. No perfect crime? How would you even know if they got away with one?

Idk the unsolved numbers keep climbing and sometimes I feel like frankly these dudes probably can't investigate their way out of a brown paper bag.

What are we talking about?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Man read up on the Commission Charbonneau the half-decade long investigation into mafia corruption in Montreal's construction industry. It's hilarious. Last time I check two former bigwigs including the ex-CEO from the new megahospital were still in jail awaiting trial

Edit: They had a guy who was called "Mr 3%" because you'd submit a project, he'd approve it, then take 3% off the top

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

That is, in order to obtain and maintain a cabinet-level job in Quebec one must be able to provide or shepherd $100,000 in campaign contributions.

lol

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I mean government is a fractal of bad, but Quebec is particularly egregious, and if you point this out a bunch of local patriotes will come out of the woodwork and shout you down, this was an especially funny incident

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know much about Quebec but I took a vacation there and one of the immediate things cab drivers and such would say when I asked about life in Quebec was: "this place is crooked as hell and run by the mob"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
and while he's saying that the car is going KA BANG over potholes in the road. well, the winter surely has a lot to do with the shoddy roads, but also mob kickbacks and fake-work

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
was behind a yakuza in the grocery store the other day. tattoos and missing parts of his pinky and facetiming someone in japanese. kind of wanted to ask him about his tattoos since irezumi is really neat and yakuza bros like going on about their tattoos but anyone like that in the middle of nowhere alabama is out of the life and i didn't want to bug him about poo poo he was trying to get away from

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I would be in crime, drugs maybe. But id rather be a nice person about it.

"Hello, would you like to buy a crack?"

That sort of thing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Blast of Confetti posted:

was behind a yakuza in the grocery store the other day. tattoos and missing parts of his pinky and facetiming someone in japanese. kind of wanted to ask him about his tattoos since irezumi is really neat and yakuza bros like going on about their tattoos but anyone like that in the middle of nowhere alabama is out of the life and i didn't want to bug him about poo poo he was trying to get away from

Or is there to shake down a Japanese manufacturing plant.

Before I was born, the old man half owned a bar in the Southside of Chicago. He had connections in organized crime, and growing up he'd send me on playdates with one of his mob friends' son.

If you wanna get into organized crime and have no idea how the gently caress to start, my guess would be to take over a bar in a state that prohibits or severely limits video gaming machines, have a back room at your bar for video gaming, and do what it takes to stay open.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Organized crime is one of the lousiest ways to make unethical money. Things that aren’t strictly illegal are far more rewarding

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Or is there to shake down a Japanese manufacturing plant.

Before I was born, the old man half owned a bar in the Southside of Chicago. He had connections in organized crime, and growing up he'd send me on playdates with one of his mob friends' son.

If you wanna get into organized crime and have no idea how the gently caress to start, my guess would be to take over a bar in a state that prohibits or severely limits video gaming machines, have a back room at your bar for video gaming, and do what it takes to stay open.

Took me a second to realize you are (probably) talking about gambling and not arcade machines.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Amarcarts posted:

Took me a second to realize you are (probably) talking about gambling and not arcade machines.

But you repeat yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well, you can fold a chain up into your pocket, and since it’s made of steel it will gently caress somebody up pretty good if you are skilled enough to consistently land the tip when you swing it.

• Locked thread