Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Flavor Truck posted:

Imagine being this guy playing a game like Darkfall for the first time. Probably spends a lot of time posting on the EVE forums, too.

Well, this game isn't exactly like Eve or Darkfall, it isn't full loot when you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

imagine being so bad at reading that you missed the second line about how I've spent time in this game roaming as a murderer. feels good killing some dude equipped with armour and a real weapon when you're naked with a club

just don't pretend that ganking some dude who's just trying to scavenge materials and stealing his poo poo is doing anyone a service, it's absolutely sociopathic behavior and that's why being able to get away with it in a video game feels good. same reason a lot of people shoplift for thrills, it's fun to be bad sometimes

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Try committing some real crimes ya big wuss

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
I check this out periodically. It has a lot of potential and I could see it being a pretty strong contender in the MMO genre as long as it gets properly fleshed out. I know you could say that for any game in early development, but I feel it's especially true for this one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

there's basically nothing to do and there's no economy that I've seen, but the premise owns, it's absolutely gorgeous, and the combat is fun

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I signed up for the alpha when this thread first popped up and still haven't gotten an invite. :(

Venerable Monk
Jun 28, 2012

This game is pretty barebones at the moment. There is no alliance system, and corps are limited to 50 members. Siege warfare consists of clumsily transporting dozens and dozens of powderkegs to an enemy base, and blowing everything up at once (because they can instantly repair and rebuild if you give them any time at all). Taking land is extremely difficult if people are defending.

It has potential, but god drat they need to improve some of their systems and mechanics.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

They just announced this phase of alpha ends in early June and they will be removing the 24/7 testing because they apparently have a lot of really big new systems etc to put in and they will go back to testing weekends and the like while they get it all in place.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

For a casual player like myself who is old and bad at combat, this game is brutal and unforgiving (yes I know that many will laugh at me for being that bad).

At level 5 I found myself with all my gear broken and my corpse camped by a giant black bear that I had no chance of killing.

Not my cup of tea, although it does remind me somewhat of Conan Exiles, but I don't recall having nearly as many early deaths in CE.

Also it looks like playing solo is pretty much out, as all the interesting features in the game are surrounded by walls built by player groups sealing everyone else out of that content. Of course my experience was quite limited, having only played it tonight for a few hours and making it to level 5. I was just starting to craft upgraded gear, but lost all my supplies to do it other than the smelted iron that I had stored in the outpost, and just realized I wasn't having any fun so why continue.

I may give it another try in the next phase if I get reinvited, but my first impression is that this game will only be fun for groups of people, not loners like myself.

Venerable Monk
Jun 28, 2012

D-Pad posted:

They just announced this phase of alpha ends in early June and they will be removing the 24/7 testing because they apparently have a lot of really big new systems etc to put in and they will go back to testing weekends and the like while they get it all in place.

This is the right move, IMO. They have a lot of systems that need improvement. I don't expect an alpha game to have the depth of EVE or anything right out of the gate, but yeah it needs to be fleshed out quite a bit.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Locator posted:

Not my cup of tea, although it does remind me somewhat of Conan Exiles, but I don't recall having nearly as many early deaths in CE.

It really does feel like Conan Exiles and that is good to me.

Here is hoping they put a lot of solid development time into the game after June 3. Smed is running this show right? Does he have a comically long list of amazing stuff he wants to do with the game but will never happen?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BadLlama posted:

It really does feel like Conan Exiles and that is good to me.

Big difference is that CE allowed me to run my own private little world and not interact with the rest of humanity. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gave it another try tonight. Got attacked at level 1 by a level 2 guy on the beach, and somehow killed him. Sort of shocked that there is anyone in the world worse at PvP than I am.

Made it to level 6, but still died quite a few times. Will need to be level 7 before I can get all the tradeskills needed to craft a basic iron sword. Dunno, game just doesn't grab me like CE did.

I'll probably give it another couple hours at some point and then wait for whatever the next phase of testing is. If they never add any sort of PvE option I'll probably skip this one when it comes to spending money.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The Locator posted:

Gave it another try tonight. Got attacked at level 1 by a level 2 guy on the beach, and somehow killed him. Sort of shocked that there is anyone in the world worse at PvP than I am.

Made it to level 6, but still died quite a few times. Will need to be level 7 before I can get all the tradeskills needed to craft a basic iron sword. Dunno, game just doesn't grab me like CE did.

I'll probably give it another couple hours at some point and then wait for whatever the next phase of testing is. If they never add any sort of PvE option I'll probably skip this one when it comes to spending money.

Despite what others say, this game is nothing like Conan Exiles and doesn't intend to be. This game is much closer to Life is Feudal.

PvP is the focus and you 100% absolutely cannot play this game solo. It is very company-based. Hell, you can't even build anything unless you're in a company that owns a plot of land.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

GoGoGadget posted:

100% absolutely cannot play this game solo. It is very company-based. Hell, you can't even build anything unless you're in a company that owns a plot of land.

And just like that I completely lost all interest in it.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
More like poo world

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

Despite what others say, this game is nothing like Conan Exiles and doesn't intend to be. This game is much closer to Life is Feudal.

PvP is the focus and you 100% absolutely cannot play this game solo. It is very company-based. Hell, you can't even build anything unless you're in a company that owns a plot of land.

That sucks that you cannot play this solo. Hopefully I'll be able to find some people to play with.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I got an email saying alpha is closed? I lost interest after high level 30s and being alone.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean you can play it alone, but its that type of game where it would be boring as gently caress and you would get no where.

Who knows how they are going to be changing it though.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

People said that about EVE too, but my best fun in the game was market PvP and solo WH ganking. But if PvP and world ruleset is tuned like "generic survival mmo" where everyone just zergs then I have no real interest in it, and given that you need to be in a guild to build poo poo, it sounds like its stance to solo players is: git hosed.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

SweetBro posted:

People said that about EVE too, but my best fun in the game was market PvP and solo WH ganking. But if PvP and world ruleset is tuned like "generic survival mmo" where everyone just zergs then I have no real interest in it, and given that you need to be in a guild to build poo poo, it sounds like its stance to solo players is: git hosed.

You can hunt people solo that are doing pve activities, you could probably 1vmultiple too if they are trash as this game has quite the skill ceiling with its combat

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
This would explain why the Alpha suddenly ended and multiple Devs suddenly went dark.

https://kotaku.com/amazon-lays-off-dozens-of-game-developers-during-e3-1835523460

Goodbye New World. Good times were had during your very short life but I'm not sad to see you go.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

SabinBlitz posted:

This would explain why the Alpha suddenly ended and multiple Devs suddenly went dark.

https://kotaku.com/amazon-lays-off-dozens-of-game-developers-during-e3-1835523460

Goodbye New World. Good times were had during your very short life but I'm not sad to see you go.

It says in the article that the layoffs are to help "prioritize development of New World" over other now-cancelled projects so I think it's safe for the time being.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

w0o0o0o posted:

It says in the article that the layoffs are to help "prioritize development of New World" over other now-cancelled projects so I think it's safe for the time being.

Considering The Dev's I had relationships with are now all gone I don't know I beg to differ.

New World may not be canceled but it's definitely going to be going through some kind of rework.

Chris Roberts would be proud.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I mean, it honestly needs a major rework. If Amazon wants to break into making video games, they aren't going to do it with the game they had. How many people play Life is Feudal? They'd probably get around the same amount with A New World as it is. Maybe a bit more. Certainly not worth their time.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

GoGoGadget posted:

I mean, it honestly needs a major rework. If Amazon wants to break into making video games, they aren't going to do it with the game they had. How many people play Life is Feudal? They'd probably get around the same amount with A New World as it is. Maybe a bit more. Certainly not worth their time.

Which is fair, Amazon's MO is being able to do things really well at massive scale so they'll need to make a game that'll bring that to the fore, new world would be amazing if it was single shard in its current style, but that is a *lot* of work to make the world big enough and entertaining enough to draw people in and keep them there

Orv
May 4, 2011
They already dunked one of their games that people got to play (Breakaway) and since Amazon is Money Incarnate behind only Disney and Google* I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they killed New World too since they almost purposefully ruined it and everyone hated it after they did.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The new world but spaceships and laserguns.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

OB_Juan posted:

The new world but spaceships and laserguns.

EVE?

Or do you mean EVE but better? good? eh no MMO is good, okay different.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

amazon distribution center on moon when?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-struggles-to-advance-in-videogame-industry-11560769200

Turns out Lumberyard Engine is not at all designed for multiplayer games, whoops! :v: Both its flagship 1st party and 3rd party titles (New World & Star Citizen) respectively are built entirely around a game engine that is not done yet, needs massive work still, and is not designed with MMO sized worlds in mind. At least not right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-struggles-to-advance-in-videogame-industry-11560769200

Turns out Lumberyard Engine is not at all designed for multiplayer games, whoops! :v: Both its flagship 1st party and 3rd party titles (New World & Star Citizen) respectively are built entirely around a game engine that is not done yet, needs massive work still, and is not designed with MMO sized worlds in mind. At least not right now.

Everyone with a brain knew this when SC announced it was using Crytek back in 2012 (not saying you or anyone else here is stupid in this instance, it was just a known factor.) Crytek handles anything above ~20 people very poorly.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

Crytek handles anything very poorly.

fixed

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Paywall article lul.

Also, that's a weird conclusion, since 99.99% of Amazon's value pitch for Lumberyard is native AWS integration which would signal that is designed entirely for multiplayer games.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They didn't make that pitch because lumberyard is good at that, they made that pitch because it was the only way for whatever executive to connect a video games play to their existing business

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

That sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I don't see what executives have much to do with. AWS was always an option for a company wanting to use it, Lumberyard just allegedly made the effort lower.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SweetBro posted:

That sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I don't see what executives have much to do with. AWS was always an option for a company wanting to use it, Lumberyard just allegedly made the effort lower.

People weren't using it, so they tried to make a popular engine that was aws native to avoid things like gamespark getting poo poo canned. Lumberyard is bad but those services still exist so I guess mission accomplished.

To understand where they're at, there's an exception in Amazon non competes for if you're making a game (actual game developers don't get the exception) but only if you use aws for any server components

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Not directed at new world but, the idea that some of these companies can raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for their pie in the sky MMO's then go all in on some lovely networking middleware is insane. Spend that money on some decent engineers who can write poo poo that's optimized for your games data structure and mechanics.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Jimlit posted:

Not directed at new world but, the idea that some of these companies can raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for their pie in the sky MMO's then go all in on some lovely networking middleware is insane. Spend that money on some decent engineers who can write poo poo that's optimized for your games data structure and mechanics.

Snarkly Overgeneralization Of The Day: Decent engineers don't make MMOs. Also, it's not like they intentionally choose a bad engine, the engine was marketed as a good solution for MMOs. It's likely a case of same poo poo different day: Well-intentioned decisions guided by lack of experience/incompetence led to issues that didn't manifest themselves until the project was too financially invested in to change course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SweetBro posted:

Snarkly Overgeneralization Of The Day: Decent engineers don't make MMOs. Also, it's not like they intentionally choose a bad engine, the engine was marketed as a good solution for MMOs. It's likely a case of same poo poo different day: Well-intentioned decisions guided by lack of experience/incompetence led to issues that didn't manifest themselves until the project was too financially invested in to change course.

It’s true though. Good engineers work in industries that aren’t complete bullshit aka not gaming.

Writing engines requires good engineers.

Game devs are basically now just modders.