Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Disagree about people going into games being bad engineers. After watching this from afar a little while I've come to the conclusion that become a decent experienced engineer requires time to noodle on ideas, reflect on mistakes, research new tech and best practices, etc. Game developers mainly fry their brains working overtime and move onto the next project. Management destroys the potential of their engineers with moronic practices and then think they've cracked some code when they figure out a fresh college grad produces more or less the same quality of work as someone with 10-15 years experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

^^ where is your avatar from??

Saw this from mmorpg.com today re: Amazon developing a new F2P MMO based on Lord of the Rings:

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/amazon-game-studios-announces-a-f2p-mmo-based-on-the-lord-of-the-rings-1000053077

Interesting they didn’t mention New World at all in the article.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Well you're almost hit the nail on the head but then you smashed your thumb in last moment.

There's no such thing as a "good engineer" going into the games industry. Because that implies they're a new engineer and every new engineer is terrible. The problem is that burnout is high, compensation is low, and anyone with decent experience as an engineer leaves the game industry or goes indie. And naturally, if they're a good engineer, they're smart enough to not even start a discussion about making an MMO on an indie size/budget. Coincidentally this also explains why basically every Kickstarter MMO is a massive failure: they're being made by the people least qualified to make them.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mincedgarlic posted:

^^ where is your avatar from??

I made a mod for the guy who makes the painterly texture pack several years ago and he made me a forums avatar in return.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

SweetBro posted:

Well you're almost hit the nail on the head but then you smashed your thumb in last moment.

There's no such thing as a "good engineer" going into the games industry. Because that implies they're a new engineer and every new engineer is terrible. The problem is that burnout is high, compensation is low, and anyone with decent experience as an engineer leaves the game industry or goes indie. And naturally, if they're a good engineer, they're smart enough to not even start a discussion about making an MMO on an indie size/budget. Coincidentally this also explains why basically every Kickstarter MMO is a massive failure: they're being made by the people least qualified to make them.

I wouldn't say it has to imply they're new, but the current industry definitely has no chance of hiring a competent engineer since they'd ask for a salary and work schedule the current studios would never provide. The first company to actually do that would probably turn out a really high-quality, consistent studio, but that's a long ways off.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so like, does this game still exist? has anyone played it recently? i haven't heard anything from Amazon Game Studios at all in the past few months.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they launch it with Amazon's game streaming thing.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Guess it still exists: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063730/New_World/

Mikezxcv81
Nov 27, 2019
This looks badass. I doubt my rig could run it though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

huh, it must be further along than I thought

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pre-purchase now for bonus content:
Closed Beta access
Secure access to the Closed Beta in April 2020.

Isabella’s amulet
Equip Isabella’s amulet to gain additional constitution to weather attacks, and deal additional damage against certain types of supernatural enemies.

Unique title
Proudly display your “Expedition One” title as part of the initial wave of explorers to hit Aeternum’s shores.

Emote
Greet your fellow adventurers with the Fist Bump emote.

Guild crest set
Three unique guild crests featuring axes, muskets, and armor.

also - probably more info tonight at the game awards

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I guess they dropped there more realistic take on the game.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Honestly I expected the game to disappear and be remembered as an interesting tech demo for a game that sounded more fun to play than it actually was. Best of luck to them, I'm sure me and my brain spiders will find a way to justify buying this eventually.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Didn't they buy the LotR IP? Thought this would get reworked into that.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Wow, the game I remember playing looked nothing like those screenshots. Let's hope it's way better than it was in alpha.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

Wow, the game I remember playing looked nothing like those screenshots. Let's hope it's way better than it was in alpha.

Yeah the thing I just watched a preview for seems entirely unrelated to the game I alpha tested last year. and not that much better, despite the total revamp of the world. I was into the colonization aesthetic, rather than this generic fantasy ancient evil poo poo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Frog Act posted:

Yeah the thing I just watched a preview for seems entirely unrelated to the game I alpha tested last year. and not that much better, despite the total revamp of the world. I was into the colonization aesthetic, rather than this generic fantasy ancient evil poo poo

The very last picture with the guy spearing a bear looks pretty similar to what I remember from the test. Everything else looks new and maybe the game isn't a bland wasteland anymore.

That doesn't really matter is territory control is bad still. If that is fixed up I might have to check this out again.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

quote:

Dear Amazon Customer,
Today, we're making New World available for pre-order again.
You were one of the first customers to order New World, and you ordered it when it was free-to-play.
Your order is still good, and your price – $0.00 – is still good also.
As a pre-order customer, you're still eligible to participate in the pre-launch closed Beta test of New World, so stay tuned for more information on your order and the Beta test.
Thank you for your enthusiastic support of New World.
Amazon Games

Email from Amazon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/amazon-new-world-mmo-closed-beta-april

someone read this long rear end article and tell me if there is any ting neat in it

and also, I hope I get it for free, I didn't get that email but I totally did order it

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Seems like they decided to push it back a year to add a bunch of PVE maybe? I dunno.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Phoix posted:

Email from Amazon.

did this only go out to people who preordered it AND got into the closed beta? My buddy got the same mail, but I sure as poo poo didn't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

eonwe posted:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/amazon-new-world-mmo-closed-beta-april

someone read this long rear end article and tell me if there is any ting neat in it

and also, I hope I get it for free, I didn't get that email but I totally did order it

From what I can tell they came to a very corporate decision that people didn't like the game because it was boring, not because they were creating a fundamentally non-viable survival game.

So it is probably not fixed, no.

cmdrk posted:

did this only go out to people who preordered it AND got into the closed beta? My buddy got the same mail, but I sure as poo poo didn't.

I was in the beta testing and got nothing, so who knows.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I did not get that email.

But I don’t think I’d be returning to this game anyways.

If I do get a free copy, I’ll post here and give it away.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I played a bit of the beta. It wasnt bad, but it made me real mad about people putting up fences everywhere.

Maybe I'd reup if there was a lot of interest here in getting something going.

I never figured out if there was a farming minigame, or if crafting was all gathering based.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There was farming but I wouldn't describe it as a minigame.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The alpha sucked poo poo but I just feel like adding incredibly generic fantasy elements is the wrong way to unsuck its poo poo

Navraz
Sep 17, 2007

I blame it on my own sick pride
Sugartime Jones
https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/the-evolution-of-new-worlds-pvp

:thunk:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

It's for the best. An online game lives and dies by the ability for new players to actually play it, rather than get ganked over and over again by sweat lords and lose all of their progress. If they want the game to be anything other than fodder for some "death of a game" youtube video 6 months after launch they could never have kept always on, full loot pvp.

BrotherLarry
Jan 10, 2020
Full loot PvP is a thing of the past and a relic of bad survival games. I dont want to spend 40 hours of my life farming so some 12 year old can steal my stuff while Im at work.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The thing is they already made the pvp game, there is NO pve game to replace it with. They are taking away the only thing they had going and replacing it with promises. This game is already dead on arrival.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
To be fair the PVP game they had was poorly conceived and riddled with loopholes that they doubled down on so I'm not sure turning it into a lovely WoW clone would be a bad move at this point from a financial perspective.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'm just saying the "should we make a pve or pvp game" conversation is a five years ago kinda thing.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

malhavok posted:

The thing is they already made the pvp game, there is NO pve game to replace it with. They are taking away the only thing they had going and replacing it with promises. This game is already dead on arrival.

Yeah didn’t everyone who played that’s alpha agree it was already dead? There is really nowhere to go but up. It’s probably still going to be bad, as is the nature of MMOs, and doubly so when they seem to be doing a 180 less than a year from launch.

BrotherLarry
Jan 10, 2020
I hope they can pull something from the ashes, I was super excited for this game

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want somebody to make a super high budget PVE focused MMO in the year 2020 because I’m a broke brained idiot

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Ehud posted:

I want somebody to make a super high budget PVE focused MMO in the year 2020 because I’m a broke brained idiot

But are you a paying broke brained idiot?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Isn't Smed involved with this one? Or is the San Diego Amazon Game Studio working on something else? Because it sure feels like a Smed project so far. :v:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think so? I miss Smed nonsense.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Ehud posted:

this, but actually not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Isn't Smed involved with this one? Or is the San Diego Amazon Game Studio working on something else? Because it sure feels like a Smed project so far. :v:

New World isn't San Diego, which is where Smed is. So that means there are two games from Amazon that will suck.