Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Isn't Smed involved with this one? Or is the San Diego Amazon Game Studio working on something else? Because it sure feels like a Smed project so far. :v:

It's not really a smed project until it gets sold to the Russian Mafia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
What even is this game supposed to be? Does anyone know? Do they even know? Who knows.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

games are trash and for children so does it matter?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

BadLlama posted:

games are trash and for children so does it matter?

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

This is a game for trash children.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Givin posted:

What even is this game supposed to be? Does anyone know? Do they even know? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure when a game late in development goes from "this is a full loot PvP game" to "actually it's not" the answer is no, not even the developers know what it's supposed to be.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Why do they have a pre-order page up when there is literally no info about the actual game on their website? Lmao.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

teagone posted:

Why do they have a pre-order page up when there is literally no info about the actual game on their website? Lmao.

I'll hazard a guess, to sign up for beta you had to press a notify me when pre-orders are available button. They never bothered to actually add the sign up for beta button like they were going to, the game is likely so deeply tied to the store page that taking it down would cause anyone with the game to lose it since you get to keep it free if you were in beta.

So basically, they need it to give out the free copy because they didn't think this through at all with how much it's integrated.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

pixaal posted:

I'll hazard a guess, to sign up for beta you had to press a notify me when pre-orders are available button. They never bothered to actually add the sign up for beta button like they were going to, the game is likely so deeply tied to the store page that taking it down would cause anyone with the game to lose it since you get to keep it free if you were in beta.

So basically, they need it to give out the free copy because they didn't think this through at all with how much it's integrated.

Do you mean alpha? I wasn't aware they ever went to beta.

Also, we get the game free for being in alpha?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Do you mean alpha? I wasn't aware they ever went to beta.

Also, we get the game free for being in alpha?

Supossed to yes, but myself and many others in the alpha did not get the email giving it for free. Others did.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I played the alpha and didnt get poo poo so who knows.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
yeah it seems random as gently caress. i preordered day one, when it was $0. now visiting the my order page just gives me a strange error message. AMAZON!!! :emo:

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Seems like the next phase just dropped, but I don't know anything past that.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Downloading the new beta now and have no idea what to expect. I guess I'll post later and talk about what I liked or didn't. At least it's on steam now

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lister posted:

Downloading the new beta now and have no idea what to expect. I guess I'll post later and talk about what I liked or didn't. At least it's on steam now

When did a new beta start? Did you have to preorder it?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I love Bad MMO's and ones where you can work together to improve terrirory and build towns are also hella Cool.

https://www.newworld.com/en-gb/news/articles/making-your-mark-on-aternum-settlements-and-governance

Specifically this article.

I'm a big sap for making like a cool place to live that people wanna build houses in

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 14, 2020

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I really hope they tone down the aspects of the game that just mimicked Life is Feudal.

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

D-Pad posted:

When did a new beta start? Did you have to preorder it?

I think it started yesterday, they sent out a tweet with a registration page. They also said they'd invite people who were already in alpha but who knows. I went and signed up anyway to laugh at it and even though I was in alpha it signed me up without a word.

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1228097019224281088

AngstPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 14, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

AngstPenguin posted:

I think it started yesterday, they sent out a tweet with a registration page. They also said they'd invite people who were already in alpha but who knows. I went and signed up anyway to laugh at it and even though I was in alpha it signed me up without a word.

Yeah I went and signed up after I saw the post, but the page says closed beta isn't until april and I tested Alpha too and didn't get beta invite yet after signing up. Who knows, but I am a sucker for MMO betas so I want in.

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I went and signed up after I saw the post, but the page says closed beta isn't until april and I tested Alpha too and didn't get beta invite yet after signing up. Who knows, but I am a sucker for MMO betas so I want in.

yah I just noticed it says CLOSED ALPHA like gently caress, another one? Aren't they launching this spring?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The concept of controlling city states for 3 way factional conflict sounds pretty cool but um its probably not going to work since they changed the entire game in under 10 months

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have to assume at this point that their system just threw out half of the people who played the first alpha for reasons.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

You take quests one by one until you hit level ten and then pick a faction. Then you can choose a slew of quests that take about 20 minutes to walk to, fight stuff, come back and then turn them in. Repeat until you're max level. You can craft a ton of stuff, but it's all the same stuff everyone else can craft. All the settlements seem to have the same layout, and it looks like they're trying to lean on the pvp aspects the most. That seems like a pretty bad idea since any team with the higher numbers would win every time as far as I can tell. There's no way I'm going to grind these quests out or gather tons of poo poo until I reach anything close to the endgame. I'm sure they'll add more, but this game looks like a hard pass to me.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
This game basically is amazon games' flagship title right? So its gonna be good eventually considering they have Infinite amounts of money to throw at this

Orv
May 4, 2011

lalaland posted:

This game basically is amazon games' flagship title right? So its gonna be good eventually considering they have Infinite amounts of money to throw at this

It is the currently surviving flagship title given that they already nuked two others, one of which the public didn't even get to play and the other of which was aggressively mediocre and died after a single public test.

Infinite money also means they can just space it if it vastly under-performs and make something else.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there still fort building and customization stuff, or is it literally now just pre-made forts in the world that guilds take over?

Orv
May 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Is there still fort building and customization stuff, or is it literally now just pre-made forts in the world that guilds take over?

That one article posted a page or two back says that player-made structures/forts are still in and now use a time window system like a lot of past PvP games have, where you can only gently caress with someone's stuff during a certain period.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

lalaland posted:

Star Citizen laughs at this post

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

BadLlama posted:

It looks like you have:

Towns: prebuilt ish and upgradable, like you have the blacksmith and stuff

Forts: the stuff you fight over, look to be custom build

Player housing: probably custom with limits

Orv
May 4, 2011
So, yeah, got into that there alpha. The game is now an survival MMO with a territory/guild PvP mechanic, rather than a survival sandbox game in full. The combat is still okay for what it is, the map is the same but they've changed a lot of it around and made the weird hosed up infected area up north more spooky. I didn't get to try any of the territory control to see if there are still just blatant design issues that will make it hilariously easy to break bases or ignore mechanics or what have you but frankly I can't be assed.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I played around for a couple hours last night, and the game seems really... generic? I didn't play the previous version of the game, so I'm not really sure what changed, but there really isn't much here. It's a survival crafting game where you can't really craft anything of consequence. It's like they merged the secret world, conan exiles, and life is feudal but took out everything that made all of those games unique. It feels like someone had a really cool idea for a game and then they focus grouped it into mediocrity.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arven posted:

I played around for a couple hours last night, and the game seems really... generic? I didn't play the previous version of the game, so I'm not really sure what changed, but there really isn't much here. It's a survival crafting game where you can't really craft anything of consequence. It's like they merged the secret world, conan exiles, and life is feudal but took out everything that made all of those games unique. It feels like someone had a really cool idea for a game and then they focus grouped it into mediocrity.

Pretty much exactly what happened. One of the big issues with MMOs these days is the people who get in early in alpha and beta are the the vocal minority that always complains about game mechanics for stupid reasons. So during alpha or beta they are a vocal majority instead of the minority they would be in release and Amazon being a new game studio isn't smart enough to say no gently caress off and we ended up with this.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The game sucked rear end in the first alpha. If it's just mediocre now, that is an improvement.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Arven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqTgUdvjC2Y&feature=youtu.be

This was posted in the other New World thread. It explains a lot

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Why are there two threads for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Like Rev posted: