Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Allowing cowards out of the toxx is weak imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think in this particular case, since Dis made a appeal mentioning specifically what was at stake, I'm thinking it's because the platinum serves a purpose (private messages, reporting, stuff of that nature); so Dis gets to keep it. FWIW elsewhere, Toxxes are things that are perhaps to be observed/applied in a case-to-case basis.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wark Say posted:

I think in this particular case, since Dis made a appeal mentioning specifically what was at stake, I'm thinking it's because the platinum serves a purpose (private messages, reporting, stuff of that nature); so Dis gets to keep it. FWIW elsewhere, Toxxes are things that are perhaps to be observed/applied in a case-to-case basis.

You're taking your job seriously, I don't understand this exotic, unusual moderating style.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What is this phrase case to case basis you speak of

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Wark Say posted:

Please read this first.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

wark truly is a benvolent god.

if i saw someone spoiling the manga in the anime thread, i would serve them a 6'er, i would own their life

:emptyquote:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Allowing cowards out of the toxx is weak imo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think you should enforce toxxes and give me plat

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I hope the freaks in this forum treat you nicer than poor Owl Day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gas all the anime threads and ban them. it'll improve adtrw hugely

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
could owl day just not handle the incredible, crushing pressure of moderating the something awful anime subforum?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

could owl day just not handle the incredible, crushing pressure of moderating the something awful anime subforum?

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can only imagine the conversations going on at the time that spurred that on

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The exact conversation that prompted it was someone asking if a particular anime was worth watching and a poster was probated for saying it was not.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
If you wanna get really granular, Eela said a certain event about a little over mid-way through a series was the last cool thing that happened. So it wasn't even a completely negative opinion.

"state of the address"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I can only imagine the conversations going on at the time that spurred that on

Read the chat thread and find out!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I used to but had to cut back on my forumsing and the chat thread did not survive the culling of bookmarks

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jose posted:

gas all the anime threads and ban them. it'll improve adtrw hugely

Agreed, the manga is superior every time except for late HxH

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

hmmm... mostly agreed

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If only the Hisoka/Chrollo fight got animated

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Matoi Ryuko / Owl Day

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Meme Emulator posted:

I apparently meant to add and forgot that this is to leave manga only threads

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

If only the Hisoka/Chrollo fight got animated

It rules hard in the manga still imo. His GI art was pretty rough but he re-did it for the volume releases and his current output is good imo. He's never been a murata or boichi due to lack of horniness

e: I don't think they are the best artists but ppl often refer to that kind of art as "the best"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

his art's gotten very sketchy and chaotic but i think it fits a lot of the time, of course takeuchi is probably helping out a lot behind the scenes at this point. takeuchi's always been a real good artist herself in terms of layout/imagery and stuff so

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hate to backseat moderate my thread about the new moderator but this thread is NOT for discussion of anything but the new mod, questions for the new mod, suggestions for the new mod and warnings for the new mod

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

@wark say: what is the best fight in HxH

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Ghost posted:

@wark say: what is the best fight in HxH
Now there's a question! For the longest time, I was very fond of Kurapica vs Uvogin (spoilers for goons who haven't read/watched HxH) for how brutally one-sided it gets. In hindsight, it feels less like a confrontation and more like Kurapica being a very vicious, if not as downright ruthless a predator as the Spiders, and Uvo thinking he's the top dog (which, to be fair, he kind of is in terms of raw strength for the Phantom Troupe) only to get chumped out despite showing he's not all brute force.

These days, though? It's either Morel vs Leol or Gon vs The Bomber. It just feels like Togashi was really in the zone when he wrote those two fights. Then again, most fights in HxH have a charm to them because it's seldom about power levels and more about pulling your head out of your rear end and being strategic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kurapika did nothing wrong, the spiders need to be culled

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Even Kalluto?

To be fair, I don't think Kurapica wants to kill Kalluto. Hisoka probably does, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

I really like the detail that, while Kurapika's quest for revenge is portrayed sympathetically, it also doesn't shy away from showing what said quest can drive a person to do.

Silver2195 posted:

Even Kalluto?

To be fair, I don't think Kurapica wants to kill Kalluto. Hisoka probably does, though.
Man, I cannot wait for HxH to be back. C'mon, Togashi! :f5:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wark Say posted:

I really like the detail that, while Kurapika's quest for revenge is portrayed sympathetically, it also doesn't shy away from showing what said quest can drive a person to do.
Yeah I like what it does with Gon a lot, showing that the shonen hero cliches are what we'd normally think of as dangerous in a real person and come at a huge price if seen to their end

Silver2195 posted:

Even Kalluto?

I forget if Kurapika knows he exists

either way the troupe are monsters that while cool, deserve their big storm coming

okay sorry to keep going into hxh chat

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think kurapika knows that killua even has a brother named kalluto, much less that he joined the spiders. kurapika hasn't seen hide nor hair of them since york shin, and kalluto joined afterward.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

gl wark

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

i think you should enforce toxxes and give me plat

same but i get the plat

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Give them both plat so I can send them all the hosed up poo poo I find.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RME posted:

same but i get the plat
You could definitely use some plaid.

littleorv posted:

Give them both plat so I can send them all the hosed up poo poo I find.
I'm fairly certain you can do that through the discord no problem.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ganbarre wark-senpai, I'll be cheering for you

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
gently caress the mods and the ops

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DisDisDis posted:

gently caress the mods and the ops