Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Tropes aren't bad, it's how they are executed. See the original Slayers TV series vs R and Evolution-R

Man I was so excited for R and it was just so...meh. Not bad, but I didn't find it good either

I just mean like, what happened? Like I can't imagine stuff like power fantasies and self-inserts being the full on explanation since stuff like that would have been a factor even back then.

I've heard mixed things about the later Slayers ones namely those being very Flanderized which is to say, the character traits are exaggerated to the extreme(Gourry acts dumber, Zelgadis angst and broods more about his condition, Lina is flatter and gets more easily set-off by it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This

To this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

I just mean like, what happened? Like I can't imagine stuff like power fantasies and self-inserts being the full on explanation since stuff like that would have been a factor even back then.
i mean, plenty of shows similar to slayers exist these days. they aren't 1:1 but if you want 'decent fantasy adventure story that doesn't take itself too seriously' chaika was alright and so was the first rage of bahamut anime, and if you want 'fantasy light novel that's a parody of other fantasy light novels' konosuba exists. those shows have their ups and downs but so did slayers, it's not like slayers is an unimpeachable gem.

And there's tons of shows from Slayers' era that were exactly as lazy and gross as whatever isekai anime you're imagining in your head right now. It's just that you weren't aware of them. Like, it might not have been isekai, but there were tons of cookie cutter fantasy light novels that Slayers was a lighthearted parody of, and a lot of them got anime. It's just that nobody, at the time in the US or today, cares about freaking Legend of Crystania.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay to be fair to legend of crystania the warlock girl is very cute

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Last year's Record of Grancrest War was alright, too, even if it, like Chaika, has a similar "We ain't making stops, so sit tight, mo'fo!" pacing going on.

Double funny because the novels are done by the Sword World/Lodoss War/Rune Soldier Louie guy.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 6, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Watch mahoujin guru guru

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fangz posted:

Watch mahoujin guru guru

:hai:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Cf1J59/status/1125363657972432897?s=19

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

doomrider7 posted:

A friend of mine told me that the show/stories are literally based off D&D games the creator would play with his friends.

Never looked it up, but from personal experience I totally believe it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 6, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/yasu1569/status/1125430197837107203?s=19

yeah, same

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Again the new chapter of OUT is just incredible

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/nitorisasami/status/1125417950167519235

:ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not fair. :cry:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

What mango is this?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:yeah:

also :yeah:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Im not sure which is my favorite. Growth Bellsprout, Dream Eater Gengar, Leech Life Paras, or Soft Boiled Chansey.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'm the Hitmonlee who more looks like he's really concerned about what he just stepped on

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
oh my god :kimchi:

I love the leech life nibble! And the flexing bellsprout

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Again the new chapter of OUT is just incredible

How long has it been since the ostensible main character was relevant, again? :v:

That said, I find the only manga I really enjoy these days (other than 5toubun) are pretty much downers. Out is still great, though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 7, 2019

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

doomrider7 posted:

What mango is this?
https://mangadex.org/title/22332/isekai-desu-ga-mamono-saibai-shiteimasu

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I thought Labyrinth of Refrain would be another goofy NIS game with a laid back story and fun characters and oh boy was I wrong.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I thought Labyrinth of Refrain would be another goofy NIS game with a laid back story and fun characters and oh boy was I wrong.

I will never forgive her for what she did to that sheep...Or goat...Well I forgot the animal but it was cute.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

A friend of mine told me that the show/stories are literally based off D&D games the creator would play with his friends.

Never looked it up, but from personal experience I totally believe it.
Tons of anime are based on D&D campaigns, not just slayers. Written recaps of people's D&D and other tabletop game campaigns used to actually be an industry in Japan in the 80s/90s, and a lot of those eventually made the jump from that to light novels. Record of Lodoss War and (I think?) Scrapped Princess are other examples. It's why there's a strong genre of fantasy anime that feel like D&D campaigns, even if they aren't actually based on one, they're inspired by stuff that was.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 7, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm still pissed off that Red Dragon sucked so much because a DND campaign with Ryogo Narita, Kinoko Nasu and Gen Urobuchi had everything to be epic

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bunko_dengeki/status/1125596516863725568?s=19

Bloom into You doing well means we're getting more good Yuri anime content!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the thing i love about oniisama e the most is how striking and memorable so many of the individual shots in it are. it has lots of subtly beautiful animation, but it has so many shots that unforgettably etch themselves into your memory as well

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
its really good

need to find.....a new place to watch it.....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the top-seeded torrent on nyaa works for me

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Marathoning Tsurezure Children is giving me a bad case of the cringe. Does telling your crush "I like you. Let's go out" really work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tcPGU25zog

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 7, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm retiring cringe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just ended cringe, everyone. It's gone now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Giving me a bad case of wince.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

the top-seeded torrent on nyaa works for me
lol i think whatever i was looking at had Arabic subs and i do not know enough of that yet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

I'm retiring cringe.
i'm cringing rn

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

Love you too Colonel

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm giving cringe back its badge and gun for one last mission.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

homeless snail posted:

i'm cringing rn

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/bunko_dengeki/status/1125596516863725568?s=19

Bloom into You doing well means we're getting more good Yuri anime content!

Hope it gets a good staff. I enjoyed what I've seen translated from the LN quite a bit, but the manga's visuals felt pretty bland to me in a way that kind of detracted from the text. I actually wound up preferring the LN, which is pretty rare for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

Tons of anime are based on D&D campaigns, not just slayers. Written recaps of people's D&D and other tabletop game campaigns used to actually be an industry in Japan in the 80s/90s, and a lot of those eventually made the jump from that to light novels. Record of Lodoss War and (I think?) Scrapped Princess are other examples. It's why there's a strong genre of fantasy anime that feel like D&D campaigns, even if they aren't actually based on one, they're inspired by stuff that was.

They made Replays of the old battletech and mechwarrior rpg games and I still need to track them down so that 20 years down the line I can translate them for an uncaring public.