Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

This is the thread for good anime original stuff.

What the!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jorge Saotome from Yuyu Hakusho.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

livingfruitvirus posted:

Dragon Ball Super has some really good episodes that many consider filler, even though the series is entirely anime original, filler has pretty much evolved into also meaning "anything that's not part of a larger story arc."

In-between the Future Trunks and Tournament of Power arc there are some great episodes. First, there's the one where Goku wants to wish King Kai back to life, but every time he gets ready to wish another character ambushes Goku and demands to make their own wish. This results in all the recurring characters arguing and a short journey to the Earth's core until there's no time left to wish and the dragon dissipates. Right after that is the episode where Champa and Beerus have a baseball match between the show's characters, resulting in Yamcha winning it in a pose reminiscent to that of when he was killed by the saibamen in DBZ.

None of that is actually filled though since the anime is the source material. And yeah most of that stuff is great.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Speaking of amazing filler.
Goku and Picollo taking drivers lessons will never not be hilarious.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

This is the thread for good anime original stuff.

What the gently caress

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

livingfruitvirus posted:

Dragon Ball Super has some really good episodes that many consider filler, even though the series is entirely anime original, filler has pretty much evolved into also meaning "anything that's not part of a larger story arc."

In-between the Future Trunks and Tournament of Power arc there are some great episodes. First, there's the one where Goku wants to wish King Kai back to life, but every time he gets ready to wish another character ambushes Goku and demands to make their own wish. This results in all the recurring characters arguing and a short journey to the Earth's core until there's no time left to wish and the dragon dissipates. Right after that is the episode where Champa and Beerus have a baseball match between the show's characters, resulting in Yamcha winning it in a pose reminiscent to that of when he was killed by the saibamen in DBZ.

That seems like a really bad definition of filler

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

livingfruitvirus posted:

It hasn't, actually

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Namtab posted:

That seems like a really bad definition of filler

Its a bad definition but its pretty much the way the greater fandom uses the word and that is what it will mean in five years

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Filler as a concept in the traditional sense has basically died out, anyway. You barely get long running shonen like you used to and people are enraged by a single episode of My Hero Academia being filler. What was the most recent anime with an actual filler arc? Sword Art Online II, kind of? And even then it was just expanding on material that did exist.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

Filler as a concept in the traditional sense has basically died out, anyway. You barely get long running shonen like you used to and people are enraged by a single episode of My Hero Academia being filler. What was the most recent anime with an actual filler arc? Sword Art Online II, kind of? And even then it was just expanding on material that did exist.

that's The one good thing to come out of the godforsaken one-cour anime adaptations of huge manga

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me the two filler arcs of Railgun were good, especially the one that filled in a giant 'what happened to this character? *shrug*' thing the manga did.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So filler is character episodes in shounen anims.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Do movies count because that One Piece movie about how much working at Ghibli sucks is good.
Also this has come up a few times this past week or so and while the dunking on Ghibli in Baron Omatsuri is good, it's also just a sincerely great film. Hosoda clearly has a story he wants to tell, his noodly, goofy style is fantastic for One Piece in general, and more than that he has a clear understanding of the source material he's contributing to. A story about a bitter old man trying to cling to memories and despising people who are still moving forward with their friends at their side is pretty much a perfect story for a One Piece movie to tell, because it fits so cleanly into its themes of camaraderie and adventure. There's some great gags in there, too. I'd honestly consider it pretty much mandatory viewing for any fan of One Piece, it encapsulates pretty much everything good about the series while also sincerely adding something to the material in terms of nuance and pathos.

Pretty much the only real complaints with the movie is that the middle portion is kind of aimless (everything between the boat race and the final fight) but you gotta make film length somehow, and that the designs get a bit too low detail and noodly in some scenes, but considering that it's a yearly shonen film working with a slightly higher than OVA budget and a slightly longer than OVA schedule, i'd rather things get lower detail than lower fluidity, especially in a film with such an active tone. And it makes up for that with very, very striking direction and imagery, especially in the last third.

The film'd work even if it wasn't One Piece and even if it didn't have that subtext about Hosoda's experiences at Ghibli, but both of those things add to it, and likewise the fact that it'd be good even without those things adds to those elements. Frankly its my favorite of Hosoda's films.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Filler in Dragon Ball Super is an interesting thing since the anime does not adapt the manga or viceversa. No, both adapt a script that we'll never get to see, so we can only guess what parts are original and what parts come from Toriyama himself, utilizing the differences between both as a guide. It's an ultimately meaningless discussion though, since again, we'll never get to see the original material and said original material was meant to be a skeleton to be expanded upon by Toei's writers and Toyotaro to begin with.

Anyways, I just came to say that I agree with Saint Seiya's Asgard Arc, which I personally consider the height of anime-original material: so good that everything canon that came afterwards couldn't measure up to it. Admittedly, that's because Poseidon is where the series takes a nosedive in quality and we finally learn that Kurumada is actually kind of a terrible writer that hit gold (heh) completely by accident with the amazing Gold Saints arc.

I'll add my own example here so this post isn't...well...filler, and point out My Hero Academia's anime adaptation greatly expanding upon things that the manga skipped due to its fast pacing, such as several battles in the school tournament, probably most importantly Yaoyorozu vs Tokoyami, since this is a moment that affects her performance and confidence later but we never got to actually see it originally.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Endorph posted:

Has Boruto had any filler yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't the Boruto anime technically all filler?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't the Boruto anime technically all filler?

Sort of, they have adapted some manga content such as Sarada Gaiden and Mitsuki's origin story but the manga kind of sucks and is only released monthly so the anime is still better overall.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All filler no killer baby

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

Doesn't Kyoto Animation do this for a lot of the Light Novels they publish/get animated? Like I swear I read somewhere that like half of the Chu2 Club Members / Main Characters are straight-up Anime-Original characters for the Anime?

So yeah, I think that's pretty cool. :)

Violet Evergarden is like 90% original content not from the books. Which is great because it avoided a really, really dumb story beat from the novels and was more of a "story of the week" format instead.

I also will never not admit my soft spot for the original FMA when it went off the source material. Some of the ending was a little rough, but the plotline got a lot darker (in mostly a good way) than Brotherhood. Not to say Brotherhood wasn't better, but it was cool what the original staff came up with as well.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I also will never not admit my soft spot for the original FMA when it went off the source material. Some of the ending was a little rough, but the plotline got a lot darker (in mostly a good way) than Brotherhood. Not to say Brotherhood wasn't better, but it was cool what the original staff came up with as well.

Mostly :same:, although while I consider the manga and the first anime about equally good, I would consider Brotherhood a bit worse, mainly due to the way it rushed through the parts of the manga that were also covered by the first anime.

I liked FMA 2003's take on the homunculi, which make them feel like folklore monsters while simultaneously humanizing them. In particular, Sloth, Lust, and the child homunculus are all more interesting than their manga counterparts (although Bradley is fleshed out more and Envy is used better in the manga, and Greed is interesting and Gluttony boring in both versions). But the origin is what really works better in 2003; people who are miserable because they were raised from the dead as imperfect versions of themselves (by other people whom they have generally ambivalent feelings toward) and feel fake are more interesting than pieces of the personality of an entity that didn't have that strongly defined a personality to begin with associated with the Seven Deadly Sins, which essentially makes them all one-note except for the two with a human host.

Edit: I also prefer FMA 2003's willingness to let magic be magic, instead of the manga's handwaves about geothermal energy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Gaia theory, and nuclear fusion. I also like Truth better as an rear end in a top hat demon of uncertain origin (just because he claims to be "Truth, or God, or the World" doesn't mean that's what he actually is!), rather than a trickster god trying to teach Ed a valuable moral lesson.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 28, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
2003 lust was an interesting character while brotherhood lust was barely a character at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
None of the sins outside Wrath and Greed were characters, and even they were just barely that. They were walls to break with a vague morality tale grafted on.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 28, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I generally prefer Brotherhood once it gets past the initial few arcs (which I admit are really rushed in this version) but the original has it's good points as well (Lust was more of an actual character for one thing, changing Sloth to be the homunculus Ed and Al inadvertently created out of their mother was a great idea, and the new character they created for Wrath in the 2003 series was interesting as was the concept of turning Al into a living Philosophers Stone). But on the other hand it also cut out several characters, downplayed the roles of others (while at the same time granting larger roles to normally one-off characters like Tucker) and I generally think Brotherhood had the better ending.

Both shows are still worth watching though (or better yet you could just read the manga and get the best of both).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 28, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
while there are parts i liked about 2003 and brotherhood certainly has its flaws, brotherhood is still much better overall.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

2003 lust was an interesting character while brotherhood lust was barely a character at all.

Is it just me, or is manga/Brotherhood Lust not even particularly lustful? 2003 Lust isn't either, but I don't think she's supposed to be; the sin names in 2003 seem to just be codenames given by Dante.

I guess you can argue that this is intentional in the manga too, because Father probably never had much of a sex drive to begin with, and initially found human "breeding" bizarre, which also explains why manga!Lust seems to be the weakest homunculus.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 28, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though the thing is, most of the other homunculi at least display some aspect of their respective sin (Gluttony only really cares about eating, Envy is jealous of humans, Sloth is slow and doesn't really care about anything, Pride overestimates his abilities, etc.) but Lust really doesn't all that much. Then again, I suppose it'd be hard to do an accurate representation of her particular vice in a series like this.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Lust wasn't weak, she just went up against the one person able to completely shut down the homunculi's regeneration, and even then she almost killed him. She was tied with Greed for strength, using the same carbonization ability, but purely for offense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Lust wasn't weak, she just went up against the one person able to completely shut down the homunculi's regeneration, and even then she almost killed him. She was tied with Greed for strength, using the same carbonization ability, but purely for offense.

I guess I should say second-weakest, since her performance against Roy was better than Envy’s, although Envy’s powers are more useful outside of a direct fight. But she’s definitely weaker than Wrath, Pride, and Greedling, at least, and Sloth, Gluttony (at least when he’s serious) and regular Greed are at least comparable.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Sorry, I guess I started a bit of a derail there with the FMA manga power level chat. To get the thread back on track, what are everyone's favorite filler villains? Here's some of mine:

• The Bounts from Bleach. They're a pretty unique take on vampires, and they some of them had interesting powers, like the guy who could turn anything somewhat snake-shaped (from ropes to cracks in the road) into snakes. One problem Bleach filler suffers from is the narrow focus of the setting making it hard to believably introduce new elements - a problem the manga storyline also ran into when Yhwach and friends showed up despite Uryu's family supposedly being the last Quincies, claiming to have been observing everything from a shadow dimension just off-panel the whole time, and again in the recent one-shot where the whole other Soul Society apparently did nothing during Yhwach's invasion. In the case of the Bounts, the writers managed to deal with this issue reasonably well, tying them into the existing setting elements by making them protoypes of the Mod Souls, making their powers externalized internal aspects of themselves in a similar manner to Soul Reapers and Arrancars, and even creating a sense that they had a lot of history offscreen.
  • Raiga from Naruto. His lightning swords were cool enough that they were made canon.
  • Guren from Naruto Shippudden. She had a decent character arc and managed to survive the arc despite constant death flags. Her Crystal Style was also cool, although it was not made canon.
  • The Accino Family from One Piece. I like that they weren't really bad guys, just people with goals opposed to the Straw Hats, to the point where the lesson that Lil, the child member of the group, ends up learning is that her family is cool and loves her. Lil is also a neat use of the obligatory child character every One Piece filler has because she presents Robin with an opponent she has moral qualms about simply snapping the spine of, leading to a rare extended Robin fight. The way Luffy ends up beating Don Accino is bullshit, but this is also true of Shiki and Bryndi World; I guess losing to Luffy in a totally bullshit way is an occupational hazard of being a main villain in a One Piece filler storyline.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Raiga from Naruto. His lightning swords were cool enough that they were made canon.

Hell, Raiga himself became canon (he shows up in Gai's flashback to his childhood a little later on). The Uchiha Cats as well as a few of the Jinchuriki (though I believe Kishimoto had already come up with their character designs beforehand) also debuted in the anime first before popping up in the manga later on.

Come to think of it, has there ever been a manga besides Naruto that eventually canonized material that was originally anime-exclusive?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 28, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk a lot about the naruto anime but that one episode where his clones unionize was a really good/dumb idea

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

lmao was this thread created as a response to this website
https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, has there ever been a manga besides Naruto that eventually canonized material that was originally anime-exclusive?
It's not anime, but Mazinkaiser was a mech that was made up for a video game, Super Robot Wars F Final, but became part of the established Mazinger series, with appearances in spinoff manga and OVAs. It's a pretty firmly entrenched part of the expanded universe at this point, to the point that several video games just have it show up instead of the original Mazinger Z. I've always thought that was funny.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

No, I'm just sick of people using filler as a bad word.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

this site rules

for starters it lists dance like you want to win as a filler ep

it categorizes almost the entirety of the trigun anime including the ending as 'filler'

quote:

Dragon Ball GT was an anime series that ran from 1996 to 1997. In total 65 episodes of Dragon Ball GT were aired. With a total of 65 reported filler episodes, Dragon Ball GT has a very high filler percentage of 100%.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is a base level of filler.

quote:

Dragon Ball was an anime series that ran from 1986 to 1989. In total 153 episodes of Dragon Ball were aired. With a total of 23 reported filler episodes, Dragon Ball has a low filler percentage of 15%.

This is filler that's transcended past filler. You can call it filler level two.

quote:

Dragon Ball Z was an anime series that ran from 1989 to 1996. In total 291 episodes of Dragon Ball Z were aired. With a total of 44 reported filler episodes, Dragon Ball Z has a low filler percentage of 15%.

and this... is to go... even further... beyond!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

quote:

Dragon Ball GT was an anime series that ran from 1996 to 1997. In total 65 episodes of Dragon Ball GT were aired. With a total of 65 reported filler episodes, Dragon Ball GT has a very high filler percentage of 100%.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 29, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

:wow: that sure is something.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

This is a base level of filler.

This is filler that's transcended past filler. You can fall it filler level two.

and this... is to go... even further... beyond!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

theyre right about gt

• Locked thread