Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
we went to olive garden once, ONE time, and never again. i guess because our entire family can cook italian food from scratch it wasn't well regarded. its just generic as can be, microwaveable stuff you could get at the grocery store in the freezer section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
^^
It really is microwaved though. Same with all of those other restaurant chains. Many people are just suckers for presentation.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

back in the 90s if you lived way out with the poo poo kickers olive garden was unquestionably better than whatever greasy spoon truck stop you could go to at home. lots and lots of kids remember being told it was very nice and good and internalized that lesson for their adulthood. unfortunately the food became very badder over the years and many people lead unexamined dinners.
Let me guess, you were a kid in the 90s and believed this and are now trying to say it like it is a universal truth? FYI, it was always bad, and kids have bad taste.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Carbs + fat + salt/msg is always going to trigger the pleasure centers in our brains, no matter how much hipster goons act like it doesn't. It's a lowest common denominator pleasure to be had.

The only thing missing from this thread is the goonlord claiming he had violent diarrhea after eating there

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

^^
It really is microwaved though. Same with all of those other restaurant chains. Many people are just suckers for presentation.

Let me guess, you were a kid in the 90s and believed this and are now trying to say it like it is a universal truth? FYI, it was always bad, and kids have bad taste.

wait are you wanting to aruge with me about it or a child?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
as I get older I just can't eat the same poo poo I could when I was younger , like you feel really gross after eating a huge pile of breadsticks and pasta . It's so much salt. A bunch of empty carbs doesn't even fill you up.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Last time I went to olive garden some kid was running around naked showing everyone his butthole

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Olive Garden is disgusting and you should win $300 if you can eat there more than once a year.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Saucer is right, these a lot of chains like olive garden, but olive garden especially have targeted advertising pushing the idea that it's a quality restaurant, and if you weren't in a city, it was actually one of the fanciest places you could hit up. It's not really universal truth, just their business model.

I honestly can't remember what their food tasted like, but I don't remember it being old country buffet bad.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

^^
no. and they wouldnt even need to. they took everything off the menu that takes longer to make than pasta boils
olive garden, cheddars, and chilis no. ruby tuesdays actually confirmed yes

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Last time I went (two or more years ago) I got the unlimited soup and salad thing. Didnt like the soup but i liked the vinegary salad. Ate a bunch of it and didnt even get the diarrhea

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Dear Watson posted:

Last time I went (two or more years ago) I got the unlimited soup and salad thing. Didnt like the soup but i liked the vinegary salad. Ate a bunch of it and didnt even get the diarrhea

Yelp.txt

Olive garden, like my posting, is bland, uninteresting, and unoriginal. As such it is loved by millions of mouthbreathing idiots.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Dear Watson posted:

didnt even get the diarrhea
on the olive garden rating system not getting even a little diarrhea is a perfect 10/10 meal

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Carbs + fat + salt/msg is always going to trigger the pleasure centers in our brains, no matter how much hipster goons act like it doesn't. It's a lowest common denominator pleasure to be had.

The only thing missing from this thread is the goonlord claiming he had violent diarrhea after eating there

Yeah, it's always irritating to read in these threads. That, and Goons saying to go to your nice local place instead, when for a lot of people (especially in lovely Midwest towns) they simply isn't any options aside from chains and maybe a greasy spoon

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Waitress, no beverage, but could you bring me a 20oz dipping cup of this alfredo sauce?"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
waittress could you doublecheck my math? what is 10% of $0? oh i thought so :smug: tell you what for you... lets make it 30%

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
EAT FRACSHE BITCH!!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

waittress could you doublecheck my math? what is 10% of $0? oh i thought so :smug: tell you what for you... lets make it 30%

oh I never thought of that. even a small tip each time you go would ruin this deal from a cost/benefit point of view

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Miserable Maid posted:

Yeah, it's always irritating to read in these threads. That, and Goons saying to go to your nice local place instead, when for a lot of people (especially in lovely Midwest towns) they simply isn't any options aside from chains and maybe a greasy spoon

You're so much better off supporting a local greasy spoon or other local place in rural America rather than gradually destroying your small town's local economy because it's convenient and easy. They might make some of your food from scratch too, unlike whatever warmed-over chain garbage Darden is attempting to pass off as food.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

You're so much better off supporting a local greasy spoon or other local place in rural America rather than gradually destroying your small town's local economy because it's convenient and easy. They might make some of your food from scratch too, unlike whatever warmed-over chain garbage Darden is attempting to pass off as food.

Sometimes you want Italian, though, and if Olive Garden is the only place available that's where you go.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
The classism making itself apparent in this thread is pretty disgusting, honestly.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Haha oh man Olive Garden sure sucks eh guys I wouldn't want to eat it that's for sure it's terrible

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

elmer chud posted:

The classism making itself apparent in this thread is pretty disgusting, honestly.

i have more respect for people who gather roadkill and eat it than for people who enjoy olive garden

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

youre not getting it- its the opposite of easy, youve got to drive a half hour plus to get there and you go cause its actually fancier and better than hometown shitspoon

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Miserable Maid posted:

If you're in a food desert I think it's fine to go to Olive Garden. But even in cities with tons of local Italian restaurants, the Olive Garden is absolutely packed. It's puzzling to me because the legit local places here aren't that much more expensive that Olive Garden but the Olive Gardens are still packed to the brim. I'm talking like a $2-3 premium over the Olive Garden prices.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

elmer chud posted:

national chain restaurants are bad OP !

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the last time I was there me and my roommate went to celebrate him getting a new job because they had a never ending sangria thing for like $35 or something and it was pretty good

I don’t think Olive Garden is as bad as it’s reputation but it’s definitely not a place that even comes into my mind to eat at because waiting time is like 3 times as long as actual good Italian restaurants, which around my area are all over the place. It’s fancy food for people who are comforted by things they’re familiar with and don’t really care for anything else

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

your small town's local economy
this feels like a lost cause. there are small victories but the war is decisively not in favor of small local economies withstanding where megacorps are capable of competing
if im gonna see the wholly megacorporation landscape some day anyway why wait

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Olive Garden is perfectly fine for what it is - the fast food version of Italian food.

A lot of them are located close to malls and shopping centers, so you'll probably end up at one at least once in your life. My mom loves to go Christmas shopping and then get drunk off her rear end at Olive Garden since my Dad will drive her home.

It's also ridiculously unhealthy so hopefully whoever gets this card doesn't go every day. They will die as a result of this card.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Aww...poor little babies too good for olive garden?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
goo goo
ga ga
i like chicken alfredo
*messes diaper*

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

i don't think you've ever lived in a small town, holmes. i lived in them for the entire first half of my life and i regard those hellholes like a lot of inmates regard prison - never loving going back. we had way bigger fish to fry in a small town than fretting about the local restaurant economy, like keeping in close touch with your neighbors (because they are the only human contact you have), improving your home in any way you can (because we almost always had the freedom to do that, but not necessarily the means or materials, opposite of urban living), and figuring out how not to go actually insane from the inherent boredom and repetitiveness of a sleepy small town.

like, lots of :words: incoming but i write them because i've found this to be a seriously difficult thing to communicate to folks who grew up in the burbs and the cities and have never been in a one horse town.

the above desperation trap is exactly the reason why walmarts do well in these podunk small towns while woke jerks who live 100 miles away waggle their fingers chidingly at them selling out their 'local small businesses'. life is loving hard enough as it is. if someone wants to bring more than 1 kind of toothpaste and two colors of cheese to the area then hell yes people are going to be interested. it's hard for a lot of people to grasp exactly how limiting it is to have so little choice when they are bombarded with it every day of their lives. one kind of toothpaste doesn't sound like much, but it means that if you have sensitive teeth, your gums are swollen, or whatever other thing - gently caress you. and also, it's twice as expensive because no competition means no downward pressure on price. let's also not forget the fringe benefit of no longer needing to worry about every social P and Q around the general store owner because he has Boss Hogg aspirations and will ignore/overcharge/marginalize you if you fail to greet him within 4.20 seconds at church on sunday. if you think petty corruption, graft, and bossism is restricted to only massive corporations you're sorely mistaken. any rear end in a top hat with an ounce of power will dick over others with it, and in small towns it is terrifyingly easy to grab a monopoly on something.

somewhat more touchable example: in the second town i lived in growing up, walmart absolutely destroyed the local mom and pop general stores. curiously, in the 5 years afterward, that convenience and ease they brought ended up meaning not only more businesses that could benefit from the bandwidth that walmart had freed up, but also jobs from the surrounding area. my lovely little town could start specializing in something (which in our case ended up being pipe fittings). further, it brought in people who were not hard core WASPs because whoops it turns out the 3 general stores in town were all owned by "i'm totally not in the KKK for real yo" assholes who would cheat black and hispanic people by overcharging them and they'd lie to them about availability of goods. they got away with this for years because nobody had the money to file complaints and nobody had any choice but to keep dumping what little they had back into these corrupt assholes' pockets. with walmart we could at least boycott.

after you've lived this, little pissant mom and pop stores are only exclusively worth keeping in tribalistic fantasies. people can link random 'mom and pop pays higher wages' studies all they want, but in the 4 pissant towns i grew up in, nobody but incestuous buttbuddies of the local owners could get those jobs anyway, and prices were so high that those wages never stayed with you anyway. at least when walmart or radioshack came to town you had a square shot at getting a job. before that you could get blackballed by running to catch up with mom and dad and accidentally dropping the door in Mr. McKenzie's face, if he even had a job he wasn't going to dole out to one of his kids' friends to begin with. mom and pops are great for developing local culture, but small towns don't have much of that. they need food, fuel, clothing, etc given to them cheaply and efficiently first, which city folks tend to take as a given but it absolutely is not in a town of 5-10k. they will take a corporate overlord because they are beneath their notice to gently caress over. Mr. McKenzie goes to church and will tell you he can't sell you poo poo if he doesn't see you there.

folks in cities can hang out and finger wag all day because as much as they are having trouble finding jobs, making rent, and getting by, they're still spoiled for so much choice that they can conceive of a world where they have enough money and leisure time to care about ethical consumption under capitalism. folks in little towns don't.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 22, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
just order off amazon

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
mocking apple bees: haha that place sucks
red lobster? gross!

olive garden? *cat hissing*

young people don't even eat at chain restaurants.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao all the goons without kids complaining about the olive garden don't understand why these chains exist. as someone with toddlers, i'd never bring my kids to some high end restaurant, even a "mom and pop" restuarant will be small and more quiet

these places exist so parents can go have a lovely meal and bring their kids along, and they know that the place willed be filled with other families with their lovely kids so you don't have to worry if your kid has a meltdown because they wont be the only one

we dont have an olive garden in the town i live in you go to boston pizza or something, you guys are completely missing the point of why these places exist

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Do it ironically posted:

lmao all the goons without kids complaining about the olive garden don't understand why these chains exist. as someone with toddlers, i'd never bring my kids to some high end restaurant, even a "mom and pop" restuarant will be small and more quiet

these places exist so parents can go have a lovely meal and bring their kids along, and they know that the place willed be filled with other families with their lovely kids so you don't have to worry if your kid has a meltdown because they wont be the only one

we dont have an olive garden in the town i live in you go to boston pizza or something, you guys are completely missing the point of why these places exist

I go to casual local restaurants or locally owned chains pretty often with my girlfriend and they are almost always packed to the brim with young families who have annoying as heck kids, so I think you just have really bad taste for lovely national chain garbage out of a dog's rear end in a top hat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do it ironically posted:

Olive Garden is expensive. This is the same price as a fancy real Italian restaurant.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 22, 2018

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

I go to casual local restaurants or locally owned chains pretty often with my girlfriend and they are almost always packed to the brim with young families who have annoying as heck kids, so I think you just have really bad taste for lovely national chain garbage out of a dog's rear end in a top hat.

when you live in small towns your dining options are limited

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

i don't think you've ever lived in a small town, holmes. i lived in them for the entire first half of my life and i regard those hellholes like a lot of inmates regard prison - never loving going back. we had way bigger fish to fry in a small town than fretting about the local restaurant economy, like keeping in close touch with your neighbors (because they are the only human contact you have), improving your home in any way you can (because we almost always had the freedom to do that, but not necessarily the means or materials, opposite of urban living), and figuring out how not to go actually insane from the inherent boredom and repetitiveness of a sleepy small town.

like, lots of :words: incoming but i write them because i've found this to be a seriously difficult thing to communicate to folks who grew up in the burbs and the cities and have never been in a one horse town.

the above desperation trap is exactly the reason why walmarts do well in these podunk small towns while woke jerks who live 100 miles away waggle their fingers chidingly at them selling out their 'local small businesses'. life is loving hard enough as it is. if someone wants to bring more than 1 kind of toothpaste and two colors of cheese to the area then hell yes people are going to be interested. it's hard for a lot of people to grasp exactly how limiting it is to have so little choice when they are bombarded with it every day of their lives. one kind of toothpaste doesn't sound like much, but it means that if you have sensitive teeth, your gums are swollen, or whatever other thing - gently caress you. and also, it's twice as expensive because no competition means no downward pressure on price. let's also not forget the fringe benefit of no longer needing to worry about every social P and Q around the general store owner because he has Boss Hogg aspirations and will ignore/overcharge/marginalize you if you fail to greet him within 4.20 seconds at church on sunday. if you think petty corruption, graft, and bossism is restricted to only massive corporations you're sorely mistaken. any rear end in a top hat with an ounce of power will dick over others with it, and in small towns it is terrifyingly easy to grab a monopoly on something.

somewhat more touchable example: in the second town i lived in growing up, walmart absolutely destroyed the local mom and pop general stores. curiously, in the 5 years afterward, that convenience and ease they brought ended up meaning not only more businesses that could benefit from the bandwidth that walmart had freed up, but also jobs from the surrounding area. my lovely little town could start specializing in something (which in our case ended up being pipe fittings). further, it brought in people who were not hard core WASPs because whoops it turns out the 3 general stores in town were all owned by "i'm totally not in the KKK for real yo" assholes who would cheat black and hispanic people by overcharging them and they'd lie to them about availability of goods. they got away with this for years because nobody had the money to file complaints and nobody had any choice but to keep dumping what little they had back into these corrupt assholes' pockets. with walmart we could at least boycott.

after you've lived this, little pissant mom and pop stores are only exclusively worth keeping in tribalistic fantasies. people can link random 'mom and pop pays higher wages' studies all they want, but in the 4 pissant towns i grew up in, nobody but incestuous buttbuddies of the local owners could get those jobs anyway, and prices were so high that those wages never stayed with you anyway. at least when walmart or radioshack came to town you had a square shot at getting a job. before that you could get blackballed by running to catch up with mom and dad and accidentally dropping the door in Mr. McKenzie's face, if he even had a job he wasn't going to dole out to one of his kids' friends to begin with. mom and pops are great for developing local culture, but small towns don't have much of that. they need food, fuel, clothing, etc given to them cheaply and efficiently first, which city folks tend to take as a given but it absolutely is not in a town of 5-10k. they will take a corporate overlord because they are beneath their notice to gently caress over. Mr. McKenzie goes to church and will tell you he can't sell you poo poo if he doesn't see you there.

folks in cities can hang out and finger wag all day because as much as they are having trouble finding jobs, making rent, and getting by, they're still spoiled for so much choice that they can conceive of a world where they have enough money and leisure time to care about ethical consumption under capitalism. folks in little towns don't.

This is an amazing informative post. I genuinely feel enlightened.

Thank you. :love:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Three Olives Garden, kids aren't allowed and the coffee, it's made with a Keurig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mu Zeta posted:

Olive Garden is expensive. This is the same price as a fancy real Italian restaurant.

food prices change from location to location - it's whatever the local market will tolerate. i don't go into olive gardens often because i'm a type 1 diabetic but i was there with a friend about 6 months ago and in my kansas city suburb you are looking at between 10-15$ a plate, not 20-25$ as you are linking.

spinderella posted:

This is an amazing informative post. I genuinely feel enlightened.

Thank you. :love:

i try.

• Locked thread