Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Metal Cat posted:

I like to think that most major powers are sane enough to prevent nuclear war, but the fact that Israel is influenced by apocalyptic megalomania and that Pakistan/India are gonna be hit very hard by global ecological degradation is very scary.

nuclear war will be started by the united states

it doesn't really matter who strikes first, it's US escalation that's gonna make it happen

it's probably the US that strikes first though

The Dipshit posted:

I went to the DOE for work, got my clearance, read some scenarios, and I'll say this: Mad Max ain't too far off once you hit the 2,000 warhead scenarios of a US/Russia/China(kinda, sorta) kind of exchange, even if most of them are assumed to be spent trying to bust other nuke silos in a first strike. A dozen smuggled into the right places (think major ports and naval bases) would push the U.S. into a depression that would be far greater than the Great Depression, and probably kick off one hell of a worldwide depression since the U.S. dollar underpins everything. Oh, and I personally don't like our ability to detect smuggled nukes.

I see nuclear terrorism with some of the missing USSR warheads being a likelihood up there with the India, Pakistan, and China.

If Israel ever used nukes, they'd be a pariah state, and they know just how dependent they are on the rest of the world.

Either we all sing kumbaya, kill capitalism and get along, or we are in for a hell of a century.

In the weeks before I left, they stopped the plutonium downblending operation to restart warhead pit production. :smith:

once you're launching 2000 warheads and stopped, for some reason, in the middle of all out global thermonuclear war, why wouldn't you spend another 1000 to end technological society on the enemy's continent

still got thousands to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
rural areas in all developed nations have tons of guns, it's part of rural life, they all hunt and kill pests

what most of them don't have is the foundational racism that the loudest 2nd amendment folks in the us share, that long-standing desire to kill a major section of your own fellow citizens

when nuclear war happens, america is gonna fall a lot deeper than the enlightened states that can work together as a society

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Let's say that the original premise is right, and all these militias keep the peace for a while. What you end up getting are dozens of individual polities that are all armed to the teeth and inherently distrustful of each other. Like all states are, and especially when nobody could communicate instantaneously across the globe.

yeah it's not looking great for any society where there's tons of people who are gonna go HELL YEA AT LAST, RACE WAR W000000

• Locked thread