Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Also zombie writers are incredibly useful. You need to keep them supplied with paper, but you can have them write books that grant 25 tech points each at the cost of 3! clean paper. The type is chosen randomly, and it seems like blue is slightly rarer, but the stations for writing are dirt cheap (ink is the only mildly exotic component). I'd go so far as to say that beelining the ability to mass produce clean paper using the printing press and creating a bunch of ghost writers is something that should be aimed for as soon as possible once the essentials are up and running since it makes unlocking new technologies so much faster. It's also kind of necessary when you're using tons of zombies since you won't be getting a lot of red points that you would have had otherwise from chopping up stone and wood.

The zombie writer is absolutely the best use of a zombie. It's nice to have an infinite supply of logs but when you have the lumberjack skills you can easily pick one of the large trees that gives 4 logs that is in a nice place where you only need to push the logs vertically, so that you can move all 4 logs in one run. Two of those trees fills your log storage back up, and the trees will regrow fast enough so that you can keep picking well positioned ones. Stone and iron are a bit tougher but a big run for those can keep you supplied for a good while.

On the other hand, the writer zombie can craft stories out of 2 paper. Stories are normally a limited resource, early game you can get them from a perk when you do a new NPC dialogue, you sometimes get them from research, and in the end game you can apparantly get them from confessions (am not that far yet myself). When you run out of those options, the only way to get them without zombies is to craft them yourself for 10 faith and a bunch of ink/paper. Use that 10 faith on a zombie instead and it can create infinite stories for you as long as you supply it with enough paper. Once the stories start flowing in I recommend crafting a prayer for inspiration asap. Inspiration allow you to process stories -> notes -> chapters with a nice quality bonus on both steps, especially when combined with the two writer perks. Bronze tier is fine, it only needs the church at 10 and the only drawback to the buff is a shorter duration, but it is still long enough to do a big run of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I too did the advanced conical flasks for a long time, but creating books is a much quicker source of blue points which is the perk bottleneck for the majority of the game. Everything you can make eventually stops being useful as you complete all the tasks the game throws at you.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Completed this yesterday. I didn't mind the waiting in the quest in the midgame, but it was pretty egregious in the final few quests as there was nothing else left for me to do in the meantime, not even any side activity achievements. You can meditate to sleep without waking up when energy is full, but it still added up to 10-15 minutes of just sitting there waiting for a week to pass by. It's just kind of weird that they'd keep such a long string of wait-a-weeks as the final thing most players are going to do*. 10-15 minutes isn't that bad (I just went and got a drink) but it's just so unnecessary to make it like that.

*You can (probably?) avoid this by building up the 12g for the aristocrat papers before getting your graveyard to rating 200, but I figured better graveyard = more money from sermons -> better do graveyard first as I expect most people would.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Angela Lansburial posted:

if you finish the game with a graveyard rating of less than 1258, you have failed

I used the right side for random corpses and the left side for perfectly optimal layout with marble colombariums and 12-rated graves. I was going to slowly exhume and redo the right side up to perfection but after I reached 200 it didn't seem like there was any point to it anymore so I stopped. :effort:

This failure weighs heavily upon me, but the game is already finished and it is too late for me.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

Been giving this a go last few days, it felt a bit too disrespectful of my time so I found a mod to give me constant energy regen - now I just have the grind of money, crafting times and running around collecting everything still which is enough for me.

Still very early, got my quality 5 graveyard, unlocked the path to the quarry and the bridge to the swamp... Now I just need to build up some faith and science to start studying things.

How long until I can unlock the zombie helper guys? Who's quests should I be doing for it?

Snake. After you help him open the gate you find a zombie that helps you get started. You have to buy some cheap perks and need some materials to build zombie stations, but the biggest cost is the 10 faith required to resurrect one.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Early game, using peat for carrots/wheat/etc and just eating the seed loss is fine too. You can get a lot of carrots out of every single lost seed. Once I got gold zombie farms set up I never had to buy any more seeds, but I was closing in on the end and didn't test very deeply whether I'd be able to keep going. But after you do the upgrades you never need fertilizer for your zombies again, so I'd still say a small seed decay is worth it. You're definitely getting most of your seeds back.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

You can also just buy blue point books from the astrologer every week, which is I think 75 blues for 25 silver?

The 50 point book is 50 silver which is somewhat steep, but the 25 point book is 5 silver and a good purchase every week once you're not dirt-poor any more. Not quite 100% sure on those numbers but just substitute the actual values and my opinion stays the same.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Soonmot posted:

OMG if I bugged out Ms Charm's quest again, I'm just done with this game. Vagner won't talk to me because I repeated the wine for stories quest too many times, and making the story myself bugs the questline. I'm going to give it a day, but otherwise rip.

Also: For those using random text generator for blue points, how are you getting anything close to a good amount? I've got that set up plus five furnaces for glass and I get way more making glass than hoping my zombie writes the correct type of book.

This is why I set my zombie to generating stories. You can process the stories into books for pretty decent blue points, and the zombie will craft the stories much quicker than it does books.

Also, you realize you can create as many random text generators as you can fit in the lab? Like all other stuff, overdoing it isn't useful as there's a set amount of any item you'll ever need, but if you need blue points a second zombie writer is not a bad investment. Get a zombie with a better corpse rating to make it work faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
IIRC I also thought my game got bugged on the quests at some point. Some googling showed there were indeed some bugs that did that, but some more googling showed that those were fixed. I think the core problem is just that the quest log is really bad at showing progress and what to do sometimes.