Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How well does this play with a gamepad controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

So the very first thing the town poet asks me, the Graveyard Keeper, for is to get him some paper. How... How... does he think I'm going to make paper?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know what the impact of extracting organs from a body is? The wiki lists different impacts on different pages; e.g. one page says removing the heart removes two skulls of random color and the morgue page says it removes 0-3 red skulls and 0-2 white skulls.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I really wish I could bulk sell off my produce. I've got almost a trunk full of veggies that I can't sell for more than 3cp a piece. I haven't found anyone willing to buy lentils or onions yet either. On the other hand, getting paid for burning bodies ensures I'll never actually go broke.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm starting to really hate Snake. He's never around when I need him. He's supposed to show up on the night between green day (envy) and inquistor day (wrath) near the gate I need him to unlock right? I've got the activated key but I haven't been able to catch him for 3 weeks in a row.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I think he actually shows up when the day changes to envy.

You are correct. Because Snake is a liar. That's the night of Gluttony.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the dungeon yet. Having to fully clear each level before moving on to the next is terribly stupid. Especially since quest items only show up at set levels.

Fishing is so much worse than Stardew Valley. Harder to trigger, and the bar is way less responsive in gamepad.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 9, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know what to do with Carp? It's not showing up as a fillet option in my kitchen. Do I need to upgrade something?

Edit: I'm just hating this quality fillet quest for the bishop and I'm trying to think why this feels so bad. I think its because it

a) requires multiple. Asking me to get one is interesting because I get to explore and look for where I can get it. Asking for multiple is just grinding.

b) its gating progress behind multiple RNGs. Progress shouldn't be locked by one rng, much less multiple. There should either be multiple ways to progress the mainline story to preserve player agency or no randomness.

Edit Edit: oh thank goodness, it's only like 2 silver from the lighthouse to buy all 4. Why'd I spend 5 sp on this fancy fishing rod?

Wow, the Bishop fucks you over like 3 times in a row when you try to upgrade to the big church. Warning to other players, make sure you have like, half a gold spare in your wallet before upgrading.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 9, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just got my town pass and tried to visit the Town. That 100% feels like cut content. From what people were saying it sounded like a joke, but I get why people are salty about it now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

It took me over 20 hours to realize you can queue up some cooking tasks. You can tell the oven to cook multiple beet slices for example by pushing left. Naturally, this wasn't extended to any of the things you actually want in bulk, like lentil soup or other buff foods.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

jerman999 posted:

I've ended up building workbenches out there to do the processing before I teleport back. Still don't have a good method for getting stone though.

1. Teleport to Quarry
2. Make Stone until out of energy
3. Sleep in the bed in the ruined cabin
4. Teleport home
5. Have stone

I usually bookend it by burning bodies since that's a reliable 10s a week if you do it every day.

It only takes a minimal amount of setup to build a stone cutter and stone pile there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Free expansion that adds automation.

Including shipping produce to town to sell.

Huh.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

So the humble bundle that has this is ending soon. I heard the early versions were really, really grindy. How is it now that it's been patched up?

Edit: I loved the non-talk to people bits of Stardew Valley, how similar / dissimilar is this (not sure if the title is ironic)?

I recently started playing this again and I'm getting close to the end game. I do not recommend it.

The zombies help, but it is still super grindy. You need 100s of blue science for several end game techs and you usually only get 1-5 at a time for example.

More importantly, and worse, the game developer seems to actively hate his players.
  • The game has a fast travel mechanic, but it costs more money to use than you will usually make in day.
  • There is more than one event that breaks your ability to make money. These events all take much larger sums of money than you've previously needed for anything to resolve.
  • The NPCs are almost invariably some sort of horrible jerk

You can frequently unlock techs to make something, only to realize you need half a dozen other techs and prerequisites before you can actually use them.

The game has farming, and it is, like so many other side-mechanics, mandatory. However, it's significantly harder than Stardew Valley. Notably, there are two mechanics to force diminishing returns on farming. More critically if you're looking for a Stardew Valley clone, the focus of the game is very squarely on the graveyard. It will provide the vast majority of your income even if you try to go ham on farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just picked this up on the Steam sale a week ago, am I still good by sticking to RazzleDazzleHour's post in the OP?

Looking for some chill graveyard keeping and happy to get sucked into some marathon gaming, my one concern is sinking a shitton of time into it and then realizing I missed a whole bunch of stuff early on that won't come around again for a long time, like I did in Stardew Valley. Is that an issue at all in this game, or am I fine to just chug along?

There are no seasons. The only time related thing is the week so if you miss something you're never more than a week away from trying again.

The OP guide was written before zombies were added but its fine. The game plays a lot of mean tricks on you that will lock you out of ways to make money. The thing with the donkey is only the first one. You can't technically ever get stuck since there's always some villager who will sell you what you need to get unstuck, but it's otherwise a cruelly unforgiving game and its easy to get stuck or end up buying a tech you can't use without buying three other techs. It helps a lot to delay quests that need money until you'll have a buffer of money available after buying the quest gizmo so you can ride it out if it's one of the mean quests (the mean quests are mostly from the Bishop).

The big things I would suggest is
1) use your starting resources to build a furnace and nothing else until you've built the furnace. There's a lot of other stuff you'll want to build, but it's very easy to get into a position where you need to buy many silver worth of items from the blacksmith to get unstuck if you don't build the furnace first. Silver will be hard to come by for all of the early game since you'll want to throw away more bodies than you bury
2) It helps to avoid burying more than a few bodies in the early game because as you upgrade the church rating, the donkey brings you much better bodies
3) removing blood and fat each increase the white skulls in a body by 1. The game doesn't tell you this at all, but unlike some of the other body parts, the behavior of blood and fat is always the same.
4) Only sell items until the price would drop if you sold another one. The price of items recovers every day so you can afford to let the price drop a few times, but if you do it too many times you'll hurt your ability to make money because the prices will still be depressed the next time you are in town. Note that this is purely a penalty, you can't lower the cost to buy, only the cost you can sell at.
5) It's not too hard to make a self sustaining carrot farm if you grow all the veggie types. You can give the carrots to the donkey and then sell the other veggies to the farmer to cover the cost of buying new seeds to replace the ones you didn't get back during harvest.
6) Don't be mean to the merchant. He has ways to make you regret it. In fact, be nice to people in general. Surprisingly for a game where all the NPCs are dicks, being dicks to the NPCs never gets you a benefit and there are a handful of times it hurts you.

The other mean thing is that when you get to quality items, it has to be the right quality. If someone asks for a copper star item, they won't take a silver or gold, it must be copper. Same deal with the other quality levels. Recipes work the same way.