Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is my current favorite "be chill" game and I love it dearly, especially since classes coming back means I need something to focus on while I'm too anxious for even Monster Hunter. I just put on some jazz and play this and it's a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Game sounds like a fun way to spend time while I'm laid up in surgery recovery. Can I assume it has an "end" somewhere or can you just keep on graveyarding?

Besides the stuff in the OP is anything else about the game not very obvious? Seemed to be causing a lot of questions in the Steam thread.

The end goal is to get your dude home and back to his wife, and there IS an achievement of the portal you'd presumably be using to get there, and I just did enough side-questing for the game to say "you need to unlock this, you need to build this and this and this, and you need this to get the portal going", so I'd assume there is an ending! ... and I checked youtube and there's a video of the ending, although I haven't watched it.

So there is an end goal, and it's achievable!

also, re: things not being obvious - a lot of the early game is figuring out where to get things, and fortunately the wiki for this game is robust, and this thread exists. So I wouldn't worry about that, as long as you're willing to ask questions and/or use google.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shirec posted:

So I'm terrible at fishing in this game. I put a maggot on the line, tried to line up to a good % area, and then nothing? I tried clicking when the bobber was going in but it didn't seem to do anything.

I assume I'm missing some incredibly clear mechanic.

Bait doesn't affect if you can fish or not. I've been fishing with no bait.

The problem is, the window to catch fish is INCREDIBLY short. It's my one big complaint with the game. You have to watch for the bobber to twitch, and instantly click/press E. Instantly. If you wait even a second the window will end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, especially with the first rod the 'bob' window is very short. Between that and presumably wireless controller lag I could only start fishing while hopped up on fish sticks. It gets more lenient as you get better rods.

There are better rods?! Oh thank god, new goal. I love fishing minigames and want to conquer this one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Whaaaaaa--

You can break vases/pots in the dungeon with your sword, and sometimes they contain health potions! :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

* Buy a loving teleport stone ASAP. The game does not give you any info about it, and given whetstones and everything else, I assumed it was consumable or wore away. It does not: it is a straight up free zap to your house or the tavern once per day. But it if only because gently caress figuring your way out of the swamp.

w h a t

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xaris posted:

Did I gently caress up by buying Cabbage, Carrot, etc seeds for the Merchant instead of just buying Carrots/Cabbage/etc? I apparently can't make a Garden Bed without having the deed to the garden first right?

Getting the deed is pretty easy - talk to the tavern dude, then the merchant. You shouldn't have to pay for it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Definitely.

And a notepad. The number of times I’ve looked at components I’ve needed, walked to where I was storing those components, and then blanked on what I needed was... not small.

I suggest the screenshot button, if you want to be even more lazy about it. Then you can just pop open the screenshot and have a look before building more planks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

New teleport points added -- the lighthouse and the quarry.
Updated the gamepad plugin. Some controller-related issues should be fixed.
Fixed game freeze when fishing without a rod.
Fixed "Speed potion" - now it works correctly.
Fixed game freeze when you buy everything from a vendor (could happen with an egg seller).
Fixed game freeze when exiting the game.
Some visual fixes related to grape growing.
A lot of fixes in Chinese / Japanese / Korean.

:toot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Reading the reviews from people who are mad about the whole Town Pass/Town situation is hilarious, because my reaction to getting the Town Pass was "god gently caress no the map is too big already I've got too many places to go I can't spend literally a full in-game day traveling here don't make me learn the layout of this place too"

The way it's handled is pretty frustrating, in a black comedy kind of way - I was actually excited to see the Town, but nope lightning bolt. Screw you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I thought it was hilarious, but not as hilarious as seeing the OFFICIAL Graveyard Keeper wiki having its entry for The Town as "The Town is an as of yet unimplemented part of the game which will be accessible via the Town Pass."

Just playing through the game you can see that it was never intended for you to go to The Town at any stage.

y e p

It's even more frustrating when you think about how dang nice the Town could be, as an additional source of merchants and Inquistor-related hijinks. But nope. Screw you, says the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zesty posted:

Is this game Stardew Valley? I’m looking for a game that’s Stardew Valley.

I'm sorry, you're in the wrong house. This is the Graveyard Keeper's home. Go up the road a little, closer to town, you'll find the farm.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also nice because almost everything that you do works towards some permanent improvement. The incremental progress is just that - progress. You are moving forward in tangible ways and laying groundwork to make future crafting either possible or more efficient

Or at the very least you can sell the flitches you made too many of, Again, and that's still some small progress towards getting enough money

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today I sold human flesh to the village.

There was no fanfare and the rate for the meat was pretty low. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Megazver posted:

Anyway, don't buy their new game, Swag and Sorcery. It's pretty bad.

Why is it bad?