Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I've been basically playing nonstop this week while watching The International. And I've still got a long road ahead of me based on these research trees...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Was checking this out on steam but the reviews lead me to think that you run out of stuff to do fairly quickly. Seems like an interesting concept and the gif of the guy throwing the corpse in the river got a laugh out of me.

I'm like 30 hours in and still have a long way to go. Honestly the steam reviews are really confusing, most of them are people mad about the alpha release or something

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh god yeah I just checked my file I'm on day 210. I see tons of people complain about the energy system but instead of doing almost any cooking I just sleep the second I hit empty

I would be intrigued and horrified to see speedruns of this game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shirec posted:

So I'm terrible at fishing in this game. I put a maggot on the line, tried to line up to a good % area, and then nothing? I tried clicking when the bobber was going in but it didn't seem to do anything.

I assume I'm missing some incredibly clear mechanic.

You're not, the window is just small. If you glue your eyelids open, there's a super small tell where you can nab it every time. On the sprite for the bobber, there's a white line signifying the water line. Right before the bobber goes under, the white line will disappear, so just hit E as soon as that white line disappears and you'll get it every time.

Also, bait isn't useless, but you can fish without it, yes. Bait changes the percentage rates of catching certain fish with certain rods. There's a quest in the game to catch twelve frogs, but if you have the Old Rod, you can't catch frogs in the swamp unless you use Moths or Butterflies as a bait, and even then it's only a 50% chance.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What is the strongest source of blue xp once you get past the "research the body parts" stage? Just pumping out notes and high end gravestones?

Research will always be the best source, albeit only once. Body parts aside, graveyard items also give Blue points like tombstones, and the farther you get down the tech tree, the more points you get. I saw it was going to take 10 science points to research a Steel hammer, so I tried it and got like 100 red points. Once you're out of items though, yeah, bookmaking is pretty much it, unless you want to set up a glass farm for 2 blue points a pop.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

LewdMonocle posted:

The ghost was bitching at me for red skulls in the graveyard. So I guess exhume and don't bury red bodies.

Here's how bodies work. There's two factors to gaining quality, Wreathes and Skulls. Not the item skull, but the little red and white skull icons. Every white skull is one potential graveyard quality. Wreathes are given by the actual tombstones and fences. A red skull is one negative quality, but can be negated with a Wreathe point. So, let's say you have two red skulls and two white skulls. You could get two points out of this corpse, but you would need four wreathes, two to offset the red and two for the white. If you had four white skulls and no red skulls, four wreathe points would give four quality. If you only have red skulls, you can't get ANY graveyard quality points from the corpse no matter how good your tombstone is, so you have to either burn it or embalm it.

e: this is why I recommend cremating until you have embalming unlocked, since it's possible to totally gently caress up your corpse and gain nothing from it if you remove too many organs, but collecting organs can be really important early on to get you some nice stuff.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 24, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy gently caress this thread made me realize I didn't have the game set to auto-update and I'm still playing on the release patch

e: after reading all the patch notes Im restarting a new file on the current verision

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 25, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DropsySufferer posted:

It doesn’t feel so much like stardew valley though.Money doesn’t seem like the goal it’s more about advancing quests.

Yeah Graveyard Keeper is more like...a game that you play in order to beat it, instead of just playing it to have fun until you get bored. Comparing it to Factorio would make more sense

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Haha okay, I noticed that after the ghost gives you the exhumation permit and asks you to dig up the body in the bottom-right of the graveyard, the one he;s likely talking about is in a grave with no cross or fence...but also has six white skulls. So, I just ignored it and dug up a body with only one white skull and two red skulls, and everything proceeded as normal.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nastyman posted:

You don't even have to talk to the merchant if you just want access to the garden, the tavernkeep will unlock it just fine. I'm 90 days in and 500 carrots deep and I still haven't so much as glanced at the fucker.

e: I unlocked it on launch day though so this may have changed.

ooooh you definitely wanna talk to him though, he's the one who sells you grape seeds which are how you start up your wine farm and begin rolling in the cash

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm in a funny situation where I've actually played too efficiently on this file. I have every tech unlocked where you don't need Blue points, but the only source of blue points is researching, which requires faith. The amount of faith you can get is hard-capped per week, so now I've got to wait a week for another Sun day mass, on top of the ten faith I need to meet Ms Charm and Snake.

Ciaphas posted:

New question, what's the fastest way to get a single wood beam? this barricade in the basement is driving me fuckin bonker

Unfortunately there's no quick way to acquire one outside of crafting one normally.

HenryEx posted:

(aside from clotho)

Fish in the swamp, during the daytime, using a butterfly or moth as bait

skeleton warrior posted:

BUT also, human skin is necessary for iron armor. Which is weird that bat skin won’t do, and you can just wait until Steel which doesn’t require anythain’t leatherish.

There's some NPC vendor and I know this is super not helpful but I don't remember who it is, that sells you Iron Armor. It wasn't someone you would normally expect to get it from like the Blacksmith, but it was also free, so you can just...grab it whenever.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 27, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nyaa posted:

You can purchase wood beam from wood merchant. It saves a lot of time.

Edit: The frog can be found in the swamp fishing area. I think the best fishing rod might have screw it to 0%

gently caress, it never even crossed my mind to check there. Can you also buy polished stone from the stonemason and totally skip the tech requirements to build an alchemy table?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the best way to get money before you have access to the Trader's License, which lets you do the Inquisitor's quest to unlock the vineyard? I've been selling coal to the blacksmith but I keep running him out of money.

You should be able to access the Vineyard right now, the only Inquisitor quest you need to have done is giving him the firewood and flyers.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

HenryEx posted:

Apropos commerce blessing: it's the first one aside from the "the force may be with you" sermon i've crafted, but it's not giving me any item? Tried it twice, then went to the More Faith sermon instead. Maybe you need it above bronze level to get the trade booster?

Make sure you're on the latest version, I think the merchant boost physical item was in the last patch

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

skeleton warrior posted:

Snake will need skulls and blood later, if you haven’t hit that quest yet. As far as I can tell, that’s the only forced use of human remains in the game.

Remember that you need a Skull to start the Astrologer side quest so I think your mission might be doomed from the start

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh wow god drat, I decided to invest in Silver and yeah I just made a cool 60 silver coins. Time to start buying up all the grape seeds I can so I can corner the market from all sides

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Reading the reviews from people who are mad about the whole Town Pass/Town situation is hilarious, because my reaction to getting the Town Pass was "god gently caress no the map is too big already I've got too many places to go I can't spend literally a full in-game day traveling here don't make me learn the layout of this place too"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

HenryEx posted:

Can anyone tell me what i'm supposed to do with the approximately 200 maggots i've got stockpiled

does anyone buy them

Distill them into life extract you can use to make Gold quality fertilizer

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I dont mind some of the more wild imbalance because the whole game is just a Skinner box treadmill of giving you little pieces of candy after you do a bunch of work

I love it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zesty posted:

Is this game Stardew Valley? I’m looking for a game that’s Stardew Valley.

This game is like if someone made a mod for Stardew Valley to turn it into Factorio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't really enjoy games where you don't have some sort of goal to accomplish, and so my issue with Stardew is that it's very fun but the game is basically over once you get a greenhouse full of the ancient berries since the only resource in the game is money. I've gotten more mileage out of the game by trying to do things like a no crops playthrough where I make money through other means, but in normal circumstances you don't really need any animals or bee farms or mushrooms or fruit because they only give you money, and they're all less efficient than berries at giving money. Yeah, you can make meals out of that stuff, but you can max out friendship hearts without ever touching cooking.

In Graveyard Keeper, nothing is optional and there's no flavor items. You gotta dabble in everything and be really proficient in almost everything if you wanna move forward. I never get that regret feeling of "ugh is there a point to growing these carrots when wine sells for more?" because you need those carrots, just like you need those pumpkins and that wheat and the stone and the wood and the alchemy and the books and the church bleachers