Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The early and mid games are fun, but the late game gets really bad when so many of the quests turn into “Give me this thing you have at home but don’t have time to run back and grab!” then wait a week for “Thank you for thing, now wait a week for the next step!” then loving repeat

Words to the wise:

* If you care about the plot, you will end up doing everything. You will end up working with everyone. If you want to make choices about what you do in game, you’re playing the wrong game.

* There is some flexibility, though, in that most items you’re asked for can be bought. So, for example, if you don’t like fishing, you can buy 12 frogs from the witch instead of figuring all that poo poo out. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, being rich is as good as doing work.

* Alchemy is important to everything. Use the loving wiki to discover recipes, because otherwise it’s the stupidest waste of everything. If you want to keep the wonder of discovery, just look up what essences and powders you need, not what makes those essences and powders.

* Buy a loving teleport stone ASAP. The game does not give you any info about it, and given whetstones and everything else, I assumed it was consumable or wore away. It does not: it is a straight up free zap to your house or the tavern once per day. But it if only because gently caress figuring your way out of the swamp.

* Always eat cakes before researching! It gives extra blues when researching anything, it’s just even better when researching blues. You can also buy grape pie from the Tavern.

I’m now in a position where I’m just waiting for the NPCs to give me the next stage in their quests so I can move on, but at least it’s giving me time to finish up the graveyard. I’m up to 763 crosses, and I’m trying to figure out how to get to 800 (what the Bishop originally gives as a goal for the Cathedral) without it being a complete grind.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I know, right? Wish I’d tested it before I was grinding onions for the trader

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, delayed ending the game for about twenty minutes so I could get the last of this in place. Final graveyard score: 815.

The image is a composite of four screenshots, so it's pretty big. (That's also why the lighting goes wonky across it.)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

HenryEx posted:

more like Vineyard Keeper am i rite

What do i do with my stacks of brains and hearts and intestines, i went crazy culling people and then noticed they don't stack, can i get rid of them in a productive way

Also it's great that i can study those for blue skills, but i need faith to do so and to get faith i need the appropriate techs which need blue skills in the first place

Yeah, early on faith is a pretty big limitation - but the more better you make your graveyard, the more people you get to show up on Sun-Day and give you faith. Building a better book to make a better prayer is also more blue points, but means you have to make the church better too

As for hearts/brains/intestines - when you unlock alchemy, you can grind them into stuff, but the only one you actually need are intestines, I never found a good use for brains or hearts.

Edit on response: I never found a good way to get trees other than hauling them. If you give it time, the wood around your house re-grows, and there's a skill you can learn to chop down the really big trees for four logs each, but it's still "go find a tree, knock it down, carry/kick logs home, wait for more". Some days are just "get all the logs" days

Edit edit again: Though that reminds me: the best early thing to do IMO is to extend your land - you'll need to do that eventually anyways, and the sooner you do it, the easier it is to get all your work stations lined up along your path so they're easy to reach and use rather than cramped behind other poo poo you have to wiggle around

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 25, 2018

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

Still haven't sat down and actually played this yet (stupid MHW) but the pace of action/animation looks pretty slow from the trailer. That about right? The kind of game I'll want youtube/podcasting for?

Definitely.

And a notepad. The number of times I’ve looked at components I’ve needed, walked to where I was storing those components, and then blanked on what I needed was... not small.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

HenryEx posted:

The innkeeper has his tier 2 items on "This will be unlocked the next day" for literally 3 weeks now. What do i miss here

edit: in fact, the Miller and the Farmer have their tier 2 items stuck on "gonna unlock tomorrow" too, which means i can't get onion or hops seed, which means the Inquisitor's party is literally impossible

Quit the game, restart. It’s a known bug.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

Questions-

- What should I be doing with all these unstacking intestines and hearts and brains after I've studied one of each? What about the other stuff like blood and bone and fat?

I’ve been thinking about doing a “non-cannibal” run and seeing exactly what I might use body parts for.

All of it is usable in Alchemy, but (with one exception below) it all duplicates other stuff, so you don’t need it.

Fat also can be used to make candles, but the high-end candles can be made with seed oil.

Flesh makes food, but you can use toads instead (though they’re a lot tougher to get).

Blood is the only thing that is irreplaceable for some good alchemy recipes, but even that isn’t essential.

Snake will need skulls and blood later, if you haven’t hit that quest yet. As far as I can tell, that’s the only forced use of human remains in the game.

Edit: Oh, also - Ash is necessary for the alchemy formulas that up plant value, which means you might need them for gold-star grapes/hops/onions/pumpkins but I think you can get around needing those

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 27, 2018

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Right, thanks for reminding me. Farming bats wasn’t too hard - just make your bee/quarry trips at night and you’d pick up 3-6.

BUT also, human skin is necessary for iron armor. Which is weird that bat skin won’t do, and you can just wait until Steel which doesn’t require anythain’t leatherish.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It took me just over 70 hours, but I hosed around a lot with making the graveyard good and didn’t know about the teleport stone until like the last 10 hours, so I think you could expect 40-50 more hours of play

The really big drag on the game in making 12 good to become an Aristocrat

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Xaris posted:

That said, get the Soft Church Benches and loadup your church with 6 of them as soon as you can. Loadup the wall with Tier 2 Wall Candalbaras/Candelbaras wherever possible. Get the Stone Prayer Shrine and put two of them up top near the podium/cross. Then get 2 Confessional II's and put them across from each on the benches. Speaking of which Tier 3 Candelabras/Wall Candelabras can get hosed as well. 2 god drat Gold Jewelry things for them? Nah I'll pass given Gold Ore is more limited.

This is all good advice. A few further notes:

* Soft benches take silk, which is only available by buying it from the Merchant. Don’t get caught up in putting it off thinking you’ll source it eventually.
* Confessionals drop faith and stories occasionally, so they’re super awesome.
* Because it’s available early, you may get caught up in trying to build a Stained Glass Window. Don’t bother: even though it’s unlockable as like the fourth tech, it only goes into Cathedrals. Also, you’re u can make one, which seems really weird (former Catholic, though, so I’m used to thirty or so in a church)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

If you’re actually looking for Stardew Valley but darker, go check out Gleaner Heights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Demiurge4 posted:

I really like the overall look and feel of the game, but from the gameplay I've watched the alchemy and cult stuff doesn't fill up very much of the game and those are the parts I'm most interested in. Yeah running the church is cool but I wanna get in on the demon stuff from the get go, I mean you start with a talking skull!

Yeah, when I ran into the cult stuff, I was like, “oh cool, this game has multiple paths to success, one through working with the bishop and upgrading the church, one for making the cult great, and one for getting rich through the merchant, that seems like a neat division of potential mechanics between farming/dungeoneering and bad graveyardinv/church and good graveyarding”

But no, it’s all shallow and you do everything. It’s fun, but it feels smaller than it could be.