Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is good, picked it up on sale because I was interested in it before but this expansion sounds neat. I see a lot of complaints about the energy mechanic in this game but I'm the kind of masochist who played Punch Club to it's completion so maybe this doesn't bother me as much as most. I do appreciate how unlike Stardew you can seemingly stay up as long as you want if you have enough food to extend your energy bar, like it doesn't force you to go to sleep at a certain point.

I'm still fairly early on but did have a revelation last night as I was trying to find out just how the gently caress I get to the point where I can make my own nails when I realized there were MULTIPLE TABS in the research menu. The whole time I had been on the woodworking screen and assumed that was the whole tech tree.. Fortunately once I realized this I had a bunch of red/green stuff saved up so I could research just about everything that didn't require blue stuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am loving this game, been putting in a ton of time with it and it definitely is as described above where you have 10 objectives and usually need to do 100 things before being able to finish those objectives and 1000 things before those that have to be done first so it is easy to get sidetracked. I wish there was a way to have stuff marked on the calendar wheel thing so I don't forget something's coming up, I'm getting used to it but would like a way to make it more obvious to me what day it is and that I had something to do this day so I remember to check the NPC list to see who it is and what needs done. I assume this is part of the game, just having to spin all these plates while still having to remember that you need to meet the cult guy on the hill on this day because you made the fliers and wood and bring the whatever to this guy on that day... it's just a lot to remember :sweatdrop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sorry for the double post but I'm currently hopelessly addicted to this motherfucking game. I just got zombies up and running and while they may not help much with the crushing late game grind (from what I'm told) it certainly helps with what I assume is the midgame grind of resource gathering. Having quarries set up and zombies running stone blocks back and forth is great, but with the crafting you can do too I can imagine having a whole camp set up near the quarries for gravestone production or whatever you need at the time.

I am a bit miffed because it took me this long to realize the priest guy had a mission for me to kick off the clay gathering stuff. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I needed to begin harvesting clay to start making urns and stuff. They could definitely make that a little bit clearer when someone has a mission for you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nosfereefer posted:

So having just bought the game, I can't imagine it having been very playable without the zombies. Running around manually cutting rocks and wood after the early game seems like a loving pain.

e: re: corpse quality; removing organs like the heart, brain, or intestines have a random effect on red/white skulls. How does this actually work out when re-adding said organs?
Will removing and replacing a heart sometimes bring a net gain?

For sure, there was a point that I was struggling to get enough iron/wood/stone to make what I needed to, but after getting a decent supply chain up and running my stocks are basically always full. I am now getting to the point where there's more importance on the level of my Church/Graveyard which having that stock certainly helps, but isn't everything. I've been burning all my corpses after removing all the parts to make the Urn display in the Graveyard that gives +16, but I'm now realizing after ignoring it thusfar I really do have to get into the management of corpses and their ratings so I can bury those for more points. There's always so much to do. Things have slowed down considerably now that I've gotten all the blue points from the body parts and I guess the only way to get more is by making polished stone? If there's a better way to get blue points once you've researched all the body parts I'd like to know because I have so much that needs researching still and it's slowed to a trickle.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

Study graveyard things (graves, walls, etc.).

The astrologer sells a book that gets you 25 and restocks once a week.

Zombie random text generator can make the same books but randomly R/G/B.

Write books to create new prayers or sell to the astrologer.

Cool, this is what I was looking for. Thanks! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

So the humble bundle that has this is ending soon. I heard the early versions were really, really grindy. How is it now that it's been patched up?

Edit: I loved the non-talk to people bits of Stardew Valley, how similar / dissimilar is this (not sure if the title is ironic)?

I never found it obnoxiously grindy until the mid to end of the game, personally, but they have reduced crafting requirements in the last patch they did and increased resources you get for dismantling stuff which is a pretty big deal. They also added a mid to late game way of raising zombies as workers that will mine/chop wood/run a farm or run resources back and forth which cuts down on a lot of the tedium of going to chop down a shitload of trees because you need 50 planks or whatever. It's not tremendously like Stardew but does scratch the same itch of seeing your graveyard improve over time. There are NPC's to talk to but they're all quest givers for the most part that you have to bring stuff to. I petered out towards the end of my playthrough but go back occasionally to plug away at it a little bit more.

I never played the game without the zombie workers but can imagine when the game first came out without those a lot of the complaints were due to resource gathering. Once you get into the late game where you need lots of materials for stuff it's nice having them filling up your stock over time so for the most part you never have to go out yourself again for wood or stone or whatever.