Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the only real problem was that he kept trying to fight optional enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Oh for sure, the Iron Knuckles are coded to be a giant pain in the rear end, they seem to prefer turning toward Link (but not always), making fighting them... complicated. That said, ultimately an aggressive strategy tends to be the most effective, can't go at it half-mast.

Yeah, that timer's a cruel bitch. Once you've cleared a room for the first time, if the enemies aren't required to advance, you're better off ignoring them and moving forward.

Now, we've got more coming today, BUT over the weekend we finally managed to finish off a rather large-ish project that's been taking longer to put out there than we anticipated. In the spirit of bringing back our Zelda series, along with the anniversaries of the original game and the old cartoon, let's take a look at Hyrule, start to finish (with whatever middles come in-between)...

A Brief History of Hyrule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sehcIxF-_eo

Incidentally, we also took a look at the next episode of the cartoon too:

The Legend of Zelda, Episode 2: "Cold Spells"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSHiKt-hvM

Okay that history video is great. I'll share it with some Zelda fans who aren't usually into LPs.

HOWEVER, it seems you missed the latest historical revision:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-timeline-revised-to-include-breath-of-the-wi/1100-6460970/

quote:

One other minor revision to the timeline switches the order of two games. Link's Awakening had been listed as following the Oracle of Ages and Seasons games, but now Link's Awakening comes first. It's a minor change, but it makes a bit more sense. The western site has not been edited yet to make any such changes to the timeline.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

...Have you ever considered just trying to push the block in that last room and going downstairs without bothering with the metal dudes at all?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You commented a couple times on the size of rooms and the camera movements being weird.

Well, I don't know about BS Zelda but I know how this works in the original LttP and it seems to be a good assumption that this uses the exact same engine.

What's happening is that the entire underworld (that is, all dungeons and other indoor spaces) is divided into square rooms. A 'room' is the size of one of those grid squares on the map screen. You can fit 4 small dungeon rooms in, or one of the huge ones. Or two of the 'long' ones. Often there are several of those small rooms in the same 'grid square', and these could even be rooms from different dungeons in order to save memory space.

To make the illusion work, the devs programmed the camera such that for each room it can be set to scroll with the player, be locked on the quarter of the grid space they are in (for the smallest rooms), or be locked on the half of the grid space they are in (for long/tall rooms). That tiny room in dungeon 8 where the camera moved around so much, and there seemed to be so much black space around it? Well, on the map it was in the middle of a grid square so they couldn't use the camera-lock trick on corners there. Instead they had no choice but to give the camera free range and not put any rooms directly next to it.

Any time the camera seems to act unusual it has to do with hiding the fact that every room of the smallest size is in fact part of a bigger room that's hidden from you.

Anyway, when are we getting to the CD-i Zeldas? I want to see what y'all think of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, so I never played this game, but looking at the LP, it seems most people are EXCESSIVELY happy when you give them a 'reasonable' amount of money. From this I conclude the game actually wants you to be stingy and give them way less - never more than 10 or 20 rupees during the early game.

That seems to be the way to make a net profit.