Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think it would be better to regulate away lovely behavior towards employes. Democracy doesn't mean work places would be more moral, and I dont want to think of what it would do for minority representation if supervisors are voted in, especially in the south.

Nothing wrong with giving employees more of a say in the direction of a business. Theres even a corporation type for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

roomforthetuna posted:

I'm not sure electing leadership is significantly better - that's how you end up with the American Politics model, where leadership consistently lies to the voters about what it's going to do, then scrapes out as much grift as they can while in power, and hey let's also introduce some sort of weird constraints on who can run for the position to guarantee it's never someone who actually wants to improve conditions for employees.

Seems like regulation from outside the business is a better model - eg. cap the disparity between highest and lowest paid (and no bullshit loopholes where the CEO is "paid $1" because they get billions in stock and benefits), cap hours (and it's illegal to pressure a worker to do more hours), have reasonable safety and health expectations, and make any violations of these caps an actual crime punishable by a large fine that mostly goes to the victim[s], and goddamn prison if you don't pay. And the fine comes first from the person doing it, as much as they can afford, and only second from the company. Penalizing the actual perpetrators of crimes rather than the company they worked for seems like it would go a loooong way to curb workplace exploitation.

Yeah, this is where I am at as well. Democratizing the work place won't bring any of those things. Id rather see heavily regulated businesses that are activly punished for pulling the crap they pull.

Also if you eliminate through regulation a lot of yhe lovely things like cheating people out of fair wages and benifits, then you'll probably see more businesses that are employee run, or unionized at least.

• Locked thread