Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to be starting a job with a FedEx contractor that pays by the day instead of by the hour. It's how the scumbag gets away without paying overtime, but I still need this job because it pays better than anything else I can ever find in this shithole I live in in Wyoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

glowing-fish posted:

Pays by the day instead of the hour? I do wonder how they get away with that...

If you are wondering whether your employer is doing something that perhaps they legally can't, this is a good resource:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/statutes/FairLaborStandAct.pdf

Although its very long, and covers lots of very specific topics. Lots in there about maple syrup and cardboard box bailers.

I'm not even in the job yet, so I will have to see. Right now I'm a seasonal parks worker for the city and this driving job starts in October.

It's $120 per day and will likely go up probably after Christmas. So, presuming that's eight hours per day, it will come out to $15 per hour. I know that I will be delivering on Saturdays between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I'm sure there some loophole that gets them out of paying overtime. I suppose I'm being paid salary instead of hourly.

It's not a job with FedEx itself, but a contractor that uses all of their branding and uniforms. The contractor I'm working for is based in Nebraska. I'll know more when things get closer to starting. It just sucks that he does poo poo to rip people off and I think that's why the person whose route I'll be taking is quitting because he's done it for several years and is going nowhere with it and is moving to St. Louis.

I know that I'm getting screwed too, but I'm in a position where all I can do is grin and bear. I had to move back home from Denver in February 2017 because my father died and my cheap place to live got sold in January and I had just finished my undergrad in December 2016. I had nothing. I just have to put up with it long enough to get my credit card debt erased, save up at least $10,000 while I live at home for free, and get back to Denver in early 2020. I just can't find anything where I live in Wyoming and can't even land an interview in anything relavant to my degree that's hiring to build up experience.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How to get a job in 2018:

Did you major in comp sci? You'll be fine.

Did you major in humanities like this poster did? Insert loaded gun into mouth, disengage the safety, point at the roof of your mouth, pull the trigger.

I really need to find my .270 and do the right thing :(

Star Man fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 30, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

glowing-fish posted:

Please don't joke about suicide! And even more, please don't think about it seriously.

Also, there is one job where it is easy to make a lot of money with a humanity's degree...the job I have currently!

Man, I can't even get an interview at a community college in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming (ie: outside of Casper, Laramie, or Cheyenne) with qualifications that meet or exceed the requirements for a job that pays $29k a year. I can't even interview.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PT6A posted:

And like with all trades, the only people who think it's easy or somehow non-intellectual are those who aren't doing it. It's actually much more mentally challenging and engaging than designing the same goddamn web app over and over again for a slightly different client.

It's money and cultural pressures. Being a software developer or in IT just pays a mountain of cash and physical labor of any kind is demonized as something for losers. If you polled every active user on the entirety of this forum, most of them are probably in tech-related fields.

And if we all made the decision to just work in a field that paid the most money, no one would be left to work the farm, empty your trash, fix your toilets, pave your roads, groom your stupid dog, fly you to your vacation in Peru where you'll take the same picture countless others have of Machu Picchu, and so on. A lot of it's going to be automated or made obsolete in time, but it's not totally there yet.

But it's also a class thing. Trade labor is something for the dredges of society, no matter how essential it is. As long as that stuff is done far away from where I am and I never have to catch sight of it or think about it, then those people can toil away in their farms and workshops and factories while I enjoy the good life pretending to be cultured because I read some books and eat Ethiopian a few times a month.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 3, 2018

• Locked thread