Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I loaded trucks until I was 25 (had a 2 yr degree in communications that seemed useless at the time). Then I stumbled into an entry level corporate IT job and excelled at it because the job was a joke. I leveraged that + luck + cross country move into further and more lucrative tech jobs. Specifically in the area of "Product" which I am in good at and is in high demand, because everyone was told to be a software engineer and turns out software engineering skillsets don't match up well with product management and oh my where are all these people with soft skills who also understand tech? Anyway, 8 years later, I've more than tripled my salary (at 165, in SF money, but still) and am in a scenario I never thought would occur wherein I can bounce jobs every year (or less!) and continuously make more money. None of these will be as "hard" as loading trucks.

re: big company vs small company, I like the latter more because autonomy makes me happier and because you're in a better position when you wanna say pay me more or I leave.

Also:

Solkanar512 posted:

So anyone else here a "straddler"? That is, someone who grew up blue-collar and ended up in the white collar world with all the WASPy pretension that comes with it? I've been meaning to read Lubrano's "Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams" (decent review here) but in the meantime I'd love to hear from others who've been through similar experiences. The concept of being "bicultural" is something I hadn't considered before, but it really hits home.

For me personally I was raised by a unionized public city employee and a homemaker/house keeper and was the first in my family to attend college. I was lucky as hell to get into an insanely good school with financial support and ended up at a massive manufacturing/aerospace firm in a very mixed blue and white collar environment. The culture is very much a mixture of government/military bureaucracy, old school "I'm a captain of industry" business types and new school consultant business types. It's a very odd culture to be sure, I can go into more details if folks are curious. I do data analysis which is very white collar work but the data is about the stuff the blue collar folks are working on, so I work with them a great deal.

Thanks for the book rec. I could use this. I'm sure it can help explain the rising contempt I feel for otherwise pleasant people I meet at work and around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread