Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I work for a gas and electric utility in the pacific northwest. I am a customer service representative so I answer the phones. My job is unique because I am actually a union member. We have shop stewards and everything. Benefits are very good as is the pay, at least when compared to other call center jobs. We have a base pay and it increases every 6 months until it caps out after about 3 years, then gets COLA increases annually. There is differential pay for time worked from 6:00 P.M to 6:00 am. Time and a half pay for any time worked over 8 hours in a day and after 50 hours of overtime in a year it goes to double time for pay. We also get a bonus every year and a pension. Health care, depending on the plan you opt for and who you are covering, is free or fairly cheap.

We are however held to strict standards as far as the quality of our work. We are expected to handle every call a certain way and have a fairly low handle time. We are also expected to know a lot of information and processes that surround our utility work and of course the billing. It can be fairly exhausting on busy days and mistakes are easy to make.

Working conditions are good. We have ergonomic chairs and work stations that can go from sitting to standing easily. We work in an air conditioned building which is nice since my apartment only has heating. There are occasionally catered lunches which is nice. Even though I talk to people all day it isn't hard for me to go all day without actually saying anything to another person who works here, it is a strange environment in that way.

I am going to try and move on to a different job in this company as soon as I can, but for now this is a pretty good job all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread