Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I found it to be the opposite, but I'm also very lucky. I was hired out of college by the professor I was doing research under, to join his company (and being the first employee), and do work as a software engineer. I've been there for 10 years now, and we've grown to around 15 employees. Everyone in the company gets benefits: health insurance, 75% matching of IRA contributions, start at 2 weeks of paid vacation per year (I'll be getting my 5th week of vacation shortly, although nobody really keeps track of the time off). Also there's profit sharing, which is of varying amounts but our xmas bonuses are greater than the median household income of my state, so that's nice.

Today, most of the employees can give input into projects that we are interested in, and we all have influential control over ideas, implementations, or even if we're going to turn a potential client away. Our workplace culture is extremely relaxed, most people roll into work in jeans and a t-shirt, sometimes a bit flashier if they have something to do after work. We don't have much to worry about bullying, although sometimes arguments about ideas get heated, but in the 10 years I've been there, we've never had a "problem" come up, and nobody has ever had a conflict with a co-worker.

The makeup of our company is fairly diverse, I'd say about 30% are women, and 50% are non-white.

I've worked for larger companies before, and they always seemed like office politics and petty grudges were the norm, and it drove me nuts.

I live and work in the suburbs of Detroit.

Yeah, count me in as another one who got lucky with a small company (<10 employees). It's also a software development firm, in Germany, which is currently my first full-time job after university. The atmosphere is extremely chill, there's no dress-code to speak of, everybody's on a first name basis with each other from day one. There's hardly any hierarchy, there's very much the sense that everybody is working cooperatively towards the same goal. There's a similarly relaxed trust-based stance on work time: I'm nominally working a 40 hour week, but as long as the workload gets done and I'm there for relevant meetings nobody's really keeping count. If need to leave an hour early for an appointment, or take a day of home-office on short notice, that's no trouble at all. Also, we've got two office dogs, which is just about the best thing ever :3:.

To throw out some further stats for comparison: I make a gross of 4166€ a month (=50k a year), which after taxes and (public) healthcare comes out to ~2400€/month. That's around the average for a (junior) software developer around here and quite a bit higher than the national median, as computer touching still commands a crazy premium. I get 25 vacation days a year, 20 of which are the legally mandated minimum. The company is 100% dudes, which the owners have recognised as a problem they'd like to fix, but apparently so far haven't found any female applicants. One additional factor there is that they only started expanding very recently, with me being one of the recent batch of newcomers.

The actual work is pretty relaxed and independent, largely operating according to Scrum. We (the development team) get told which features need to/should be implemented within the next couple of weeks (with our input w/r/t feasibility), and then we're more or less left to our own devices when it comes to how we go about making that happen. Once that's done there's a retrospective, where we can give feedback as to what might have given us trouble with the product or the process. The company only recently adopted this process, so there's still a bit of experimentation going on there as we figure out what actually works best for us. So far it's a pretty good mix between always having a feasible short-term goal in front of you, without feeling like you're being micromanaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread