Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Welcome to the D&D work and employment thread! Back in 2016, I started the "Retail Thread", which has been going for a while, because there are a lot of political and social issues related to how and where we shop.

I think that we should have the same thing, for employment. This is a thread to discuss the way that we work. I do want to steer away from being a chat thread, and hopefully it will not become a "haha dumb customers thread". I specifically want to talk about the political and social customs of the workplace.

Where do you work now, and where have you worked previously? Multinational corporation, medium sized business, small business? Are you self-employed? Do you work as a contractor? Do you work for a government body, and at what level? What about non-profits or religious groups? What about worker owned cooperatives, or some other type of non-hierarchical business or organization? Has anyone worked for a family business? Who is working under the table, or perhaps for a not totally legal enterprise?

I have worked for many of those categories, and I think most people have worked in varying roles. But people's experiences are going to be different---I was a "government worker" when I worked as an adjacent instructor in a community college district, but that is very different from having a full time federal government job!

How do you feel about the possibility of democratic, egalitarian or decentralized work environments? Have you ever had experience working in one, and how much do you think they should and could be applied?

What is the relation between the purpose of an organization, and the work structure? For example, has anyone worked at a big multinational corporation that was personally pleasant for the employees, or worked at a non-profit that had major issues of worker mistreatment (I have seen both).

Have you had experience with businesses overtly or covertly trying to break employment law, either in terms of wages, hours, or worker safety? How did you respond? Have you experienced bias or discrimination in worker hiring or promotion based on race, gender, family status, etc? How much have businesses you worked for taken sexual harassment seriously? What about workplace bullying?

Also, of course: what country/geographic area are you in? Because obviously employment norms and laws vary a lot from country to country.

These are just a few of the questions we can ask about the social and political side of being employed. Its a good discussion to have, because (almost) everyone has work experiences, but we will probably be surprised at how different our work experiences are.

I am curious what your experiences are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think there's really any reason not to have all businesses be required to be run in, at least, a representational democratic manner (i.e. employees can either elect or vote to remove managers). While it's not hard to come up with potential problems with this, I think they're greatly overshadowed by the plethora of problems with the current undemocratic way most workplaces are run.

I worked in a non-profit that was a consensus-based cooperative. It worked pretty well when it was under about 12 employees. At a certain point, the consensus model became too unwieldy and the non-profit transferred to being a more conventionally run organization, with an executive director etcetera. I certainly think they should have thought more before ending the experiment.

But I also have seen that a democratic structure didn't solve all workplace issues. There was still a lot of gender and racial discrimination even in a democratic workplace.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

roomforthetuna posted:

I've been employed at small companies, and a very large company, and also self-employed both as an independent contractor and as a direct "I own the IP, I get the money" producer.

In my experience small companies (sample size 3) are significantly more totalitarian and employee-screwing than large companies (sample size 1 and a half). I think there's a certain stigma against large companies these days that means they have to pay a bit more competitively than their small competitors to get equivalent quality of workers, and they're almost certainly more concerned about potential legal action if they try to screw employees (whereas small companies can eg. just dissolve and leave the last two months of paychecks unpaid - didn't happen to me but has happened to friends. I got "oh we can give you a big raise in a year" which I took as a sign to quit immediately; the company dissolved ~8 months later.)

I think some of that might just be reversion to the mean. Like, with a small company, its dependent on the personality of one person. If that person is good, then you can have a wonderful experience, and it might even turn into a situation where they will go above and beyond for you, because it transcends being a business relationship. But if its bad...well, it can be really, really bad. In a larger company, it is likely to just be average, because one person's personality doesn't hold as much sway, and also you have a layer of bureaucracy telling managers what they can and can't do.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Tenure ("titularisation") as a civil servant is most commonly achieved through success at a competitive examination where thousands of candidates apply for dozens of job openings. I remember writing a post about that at some point but I’m unable to find it.

Kind of off-topic, and also I might not be fully aware here, but for, me it seems like a lot of countries outside of the United States put a lot of emphasis on examinations. And that sometimes these examinations determine someone's life, and can only be taken once. Like, where I live now, in Chile, the people take their scholastic examinations at 17, and that pretty much determines where they go to university, and then what company will hire them, etcetera. They are surprised when they find out that in the United States, you can not finish high school, spend 10 years working a menial job, then go back, get a high school equivalency, and go to community college and get a bachelor's degree in your 30s. It is one of the better things about the United States system, people do get to do things differently. Or it was---when I was in community college in the 1990s, my tuition was 30 dollars a credit. Its now 100 dollars a credit...and that is at a community college. So its not as easy a path as it used to be.

In general, interviewing for work in the United States, and getting hired, is a really subjective experience. I think that outside of very technical jobs, work experience counts a lot more than formal education. And even in jobs where it is about formal education, they still want a lot of soft skills, and the interview is going to focus more on how someone might fit into the workplace culture, than on what they strictly know.

Other people might correct me on all of these points...maybe my US work experience is just specific to me!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Admiral Bosch posted:

Colorado, manufacturing, CNC machinist, 22/hr. I kind of want to move to Canada and get a job as a bus driver now.

It is a good deal, but I am assuming that is Canadian dollars, which means they are getting paid closer to 27 US dollars. I mean, it still seems like a pretty good deal, but with COLA and the like, maybe not quite as good as it seems at first.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Star Man posted:

I'm going to be starting a job with a FedEx contractor that pays by the day instead of by the hour. It's how the scumbag gets away without paying overtime, but I still need this job because it pays better than anything else I can ever find in this shithole I live in in Wyoming.

Pays by the day instead of the hour? I do wonder how they get away with that...

If you are wondering whether your employer is doing something that perhaps they legally can't, this is a good resource:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/statutes/FairLaborStandAct.pdf

Although its very long, and covers lots of very specific topics. Lots in there about maple syrup and cardboard box bailers.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I work as a technology coordinator for a bunch of rural and very rural school districts and towns and stuff. All the school districts underpay and cheat me but I give a lot of leeway because it's meaningful work. Like one school pays me 1000 dollars a year, but like, it's a 28 student one room two teacher schoolhouse so I'm happy to take the job like I'm a kid mowing a lawn. The aggregate of all of the schools pay me an okay amount, not great, but okay.

I very obviously should break away from this being a web of individual separate jobs and just become a contractor and take jobs like this generally but it feels hard to care. I am making less than other people in IT but I don't really want for anything and I don't really feel like I want to put the squeeze on a bunch of poverty schools?

How many hours do you have to work for that 1000 dollars? And is it mostly onsite or remote?

This is where work conditions can make up for a lot of inadequacies in pay. Because if that is two hours a week, 52 weeks a year, you are making less than 10 dollars an hour. But if that is done in 30 minute chunks throughout the week, at home, wearing your pajamas and remotely reading log files on a computer or something, that is a pretty good job. If you actually have to get dressed and drive somewhere for those same hours, it becomes a worse deal.

Which is why working for democratic, or at least more open work conditions, is just as important as working for better pay. Because I would rather be paid 12 dollars an hour and be happy, than be paid 15 dollars an hour and be constantly stressed.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then I have the weird little one room schoolhouse ~4 hours a month (one morning), for 1000 dollars a year, where that makes zero economic sense but I already do so many other schools and it's so little and sad that I basically do it as charity because it's a <30 student school for 5 entire towns and the next nearest school is 45 minutes away. And it makes no economical sense as a job but it's like my 13th job and 4th paycheck so I just basically count it as quasi pro-bono work that doesn't need to make financial sense. It's 500 dollars at christmas and 500 dollars in july which is the month all the school jobs are off unpaid. (which is really way less than 500 dollars because taxes, but it's a fun 500 dollar check at times that I want 500 dollars and the tax bill is months later)

So that works out to about 20 dollars an hour (4*12=48 hours a year), which I am guessing is below standard for whatever type of IT professional you are, but is not an unfair wage.

And it also goes back to just how flexible you are. Can you choose what day that is? If that is a Sunday morning where you are bored, and you can just kind of cruise in and noodle around, seems like an okay job.

In general, your work seems to be an example of the "gig economy", more or less. Would you classify it as such, and if so, do you like it?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
My story, or at least the most interesting of my stories (I will write about being dial-up internet tech support later)

In my 20s, my "first job" was working for a non-profit. It was an organization that recycled and rebuilt computers for the community, using open source software. It was originally volunteer and community run. I came in one day as a volunteer, and ended up working there for three years. (You might already know about this organization).

When I started, there was three staff members, and by the time I left, there was 12. There was also a variety of paid interns there, through other programs. The full time staff was a collective, who made operational decisions by consensus, with the volunteers and community making "big picture" decisions at a monthly meeting. Especially for my first few years, it was full of chaotic energy: it really was egalitarian, people could come in and three weeks later be part of the informal decision making process, and also there was a feeling of being part of the community. But as it got bigger, it started having problems: they wanted to hire people part-time, which made sense, but also turned it into a two-tiered organization. There was a lot of factionalism developing. And while it served and interacted with the larger community, the people who ran the organization were usually demographically pretty similar: what we might call prototechbros, only Wobblies instead of Libertarians. Eventually, some time after it left, it switched to a more conventional non-profit model. It still does a lot of good work, but as an experiment in spontaneous community organizing and collective decision making, it has ran its course.

Also, from the outside, lots of people looked at it as just crazy hippie shenanigans, but I found that consensus and non-hierarchical decision making made it more efficient, because there was no management to be insulated from the impact of their decisions. Everyone had a voice in what was practicable. It was agile, because suggestions from everyone could be incorporated quickly.

Even though I see the problems with this type of employment model, I think it can work, and has benefits compared to conventional employment models. I think the two main things it needs is a way to be scaled better, and a bedrock of a culture of inclusion/respect, which are hard to get. I've also found it interesting that on at least one occasion, I've had discussions with people who were doctrinairely more leftist than me, who didn't believe that a workplace without "bosses" could be possible. It is still something that I take as a template for how we can work.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Ocrassus posted:

In aviation, progression is mostly handled via seniority, which is just based on join date. You have checkups every 6 months to make sure you can fly safe, but otherwise there isn't really any performance metric for progression, with the exception of a command course that moves you from the right hand side (first officer) to the left (captain), which also usually resets your seniority. Flying, particularly international, is still relatively well compensated but certainly does not have the prestige it once did, the very expensive training is no longer sponsored and has to be paid for by the applicant, and the very generous perks (known in the industry as the Ts&Cs) have been whittled down significantly.

The interesting part of this decline from a political perspective is why it's happened. Sure, some of it can be laid at the blame of corporate greed, but a lot is simply to do with the transition from a high margin low volume business to a low margin high volume business. Low cost carriers have put a huge pressure on costs and most flights will not break even unless they regularly fill 80-90% of the seats. On long haul, economy seats are there to essentially fill the plane, with the profit coming from the premium seats (where there is no pressure to cut costs to compete). It's good for passengers (and probably society) though, because when things were the best for pilots, only an extremely tiny minority could afford to travel.

What is the management structure like as a pilot? I imagine that it is confined to basically monthly meetings, or something, maybe obligatory trainings about safety/technical issues, etcetera. But, like pilots don't have offices where there bosses stop by and remind them to use the proper fonts on their TPS reports. I imagine it might almost be like being an independent contractor.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Solkanar512 posted:

So anyone else here a "straddler"? That is, someone who grew up blue-collar and ended up in the white collar world with all the WASPy pretension that comes with it? I've been meaning to read Lubrano's "Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams" (decent review here) but in the meantime I'd love to hear from others who've been through similar experiences. The concept of being "bicultural" is something I hadn't considered before, but it really hits home.

For me personally I was raised by a unionized public city employee and a homemaker/house keeper and was the first in my family to attend college. I was lucky as hell to get into an insanely good school with financial support and ended up at a massive manufacturing/aerospace firm in a very mixed blue and white collar environment. The culture is very much a mixture of government/military bureaucracy, old school "I'm a captain of industry" business types and new school consultant business types. It's a very odd culture to be sure, I can go into more details if folks are curious. I do data analysis which is very white collar work but the data is about the stuff the blue collar folks are working on, so I work with them a great deal.

So much, so much, but even beyond that, because I was raised in a below blue collar environment and then later found myself at least partially on the side of the upper class. Its a complicated story, but relevant.

My grandparents on both sides were pretty middle-class, and both of my parents were raised in a pretty middle class environment. When they reached their teens/early twenties, they were hippies and "outsiders", although still pretty regularly employed. I was born when my parents were in their early 20s. The best way to describe it is that they were pretty middle-class in their outlook, but that they were "slumming" for a bit. This was in the early 1980s, when two people with high school educations could afford a ranch home. My parents got divorced when I was 5, and for some of my most formative years, I was the child of a single mother on food stamps/public assistance. I don't really know if the bad poverty lasted for long, but when you are 6 or 7, it leaves a big impression. So, like, my first way of looking at "blue collar" jobs were as a step above anything I could imagine. Like, one of the parents on our street worked as a road flagger. Another one worked as a bank teller, and made 900 dollars a month! (This was in the mid 80s, but that was still not a lot of money objectively). Like the idea that people made actual, four figures a month amounts of money seemed hard to believe.

Being on food stamps, having our water cut off, waiting in line to get cheese, hoping my mom could find a daycare so she could work a minimum wage job...all of those are reasons that I have shown some disdain for "blue collar workers" and how sad they are, because those were the people looking down on me, or at least who I thought were.

Anyway, at the same time as this was happening, my maternal grandmother was writing successful books, and was getting pretty rich and famous. I mean, as a kid, I thought she was rich because she had both a microwave and VCR, but by the time I was ending my elementary school years, she was actually getting rich. It was a weird dichotomy, one that I find hard to explain to a lot of people. Like, when I was 7, we didn't have money for the water bill, but my grandmother bought me the fanciest Transformer for my birthday.

There are two big things that I find hard to explain about my life as a straddler. First, is that I didn't really, as a kid, connect academic success to financial success. In fact, the opposite. Reading books and going to the library was something that I did because my family didn't have enough money to do the more common things my classmates talked about doing. "Normal people" got jobs as bank tellers and construction workers and bought RVs or went to Disneyland, and being smart and academic was a sign that you were bad at society, not good at it.

Second is something kind of specific to the Pacific Northwest: my town, like most towns in the Pacific Northwest, grew quickly after World War II, and was inhabited by people who had moved in from all over. None of my friends parents knew each other beyond casually. There wasn't a small town infrastructure of shared employment and recreation. It wasn't like a similar small town in Ohio, where everyone would work at "the plant" and then go to the Elks meeting or go bowling together. Even if my parents had stayed married and I had stayed in that small town, there wouldn't have been an opportunity where my father would say "Well, son, you are 16 and my friend Jim from the Elks club needs a new stockboy at his grocery store"... like, I have no idea of how a blue collar milieu of having guidance and easily understandable entry lanes into employment would work. This is one of the few things that I do feel sympathy for the mythic Midwestern Economic Anxiety Trump Voter for--- what would it be like to live in a world where your social life and community life naturally led into your economic life?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

wateroverfire posted:

I own my own business in Chile. Previously I've worked in the USA at a small family-owned retail shop, in finance at a couple of multinationals, at a tech startup (that didn't), and doing various other things.

More Chile info.

Standard work day is 8:30-6:30 with 1 hour for lunch. Standard vacation is 3 weeks, mandated by law, though a few companies may offer more. In general, Chilean companies tend to be hierarchical and workers are expected to stay in their lanes. Workers are entitled by law to severence of 1 month plus 1 month per year worked if they're laid off (but not if fired), and there is a labor inspection court that determines whether a firing or layoff is justified in case it is contested.

¡Como tay, weon!

I also live and work in Chile, and have for two and a half years. (Actualamente, vivo en Bellas Artes). I am assuming you are in Santiago?

I work as an English teacher here, which is not a "standard" job at all, so I am outside of the normal employment system. It shifts a lot, and depending on the season, I might work only very odd hours. For example, tomorrow, I only "work" between 8:30 and 10:00 at night. It can be a fun adventure, and it can pay well, comparatively.

Chilean workplace culture would probably be a big surprise for people in the United States, because stereotypes of Latin@s being fun, spontaneous and sexy don't really apply to the work culture here, which is very serious, bureaucratic, and long. The labor laws are in general much stricter, but in certain aspects (especially about discrimination) the US has stronger laws.

As an English teacher, I've worked at dozens of companies in Chile, and its been a happy surprise. I've worked with lots of senior people, and I've been impressed with how conscientious and aware they are. I've worked with a few that weren't, but given the fact of Chile's classist history, most of the senior executives I have met are not that type of person. I mean, part of it is that the people who are learning English are by definition interested in change, like they know they have to learn more about the world, and they are not "The Old Chile", where you get a job because of who your uncle plays golf with. BHP, which on paper might seem like a bad company ("World's Largest Mining Company" doesn't sound very progressive) is one of the best companies I've ever worked with as far as diversity and awareness and sustainability go.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah, I'm in Santiago. The multi-nationals that are working in Chile are very different culturally from purely national firms, so you might notice a difference depending on which type you're working for. You also enjoy a very priviledged position, in a lot of ways, as an American man working in Chile that shields you from a lot of bullshit you would experience if you were a local or a woman (lol) or a local woman (roflmao). Chile is a pretty weird place to work.

If you don't mind my asking, is the institute you're working for paying you over the table? I've heard about a lot of shady arrangements (ie: paying teachers under someone else's rut to avoid having to go through the process of sponsoring them for a visa, etc).

Yes, I am working legally, I am a permanent resident.

I don't understand all the stuff with payments, but as far as I know, all the work I have been doing is legal.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Star Man posted:

How to get a job in 2018:

Did you major in comp sci? You'll be fine.

Did you major in humanities like this poster did? Insert loaded gun into mouth, disengage the safety, point at the roof of your mouth, pull the trigger.

I really need to find my .270 and do the right thing :(

Please don't joke about suicide! And even more, please don't think about it seriously.

Also, there is one job where it is easy to make a lot of money with a humanity's degree...the job I have currently!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Star Man posted:

Man, I can't even get an interview at a community college in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming (ie: outside of Casper, Laramie, or Cheyenne) with qualifications that meet or exceed the requirements for a job that pays $29k a year. I can't even interview.

I was in the same situation, only I was in Montana!

...have you considered ESL teaching overseas? Its basically a job that any American with a college degree can get, and you are automatically considered cool and knowledgeable! It obviously has a lot of costs, but it is fun.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
One of the good things about this thread is that it gives people the ability to talk about their real experiences, and to talk in concrete terms. Instead of repeating the same talking points in circles about the theoretical relationship between labor, capital and consumers, we can talk about our actual experience, and what we actually look for in a business.

My worst job ever came when I was volunteering at the library, and met a fellow volunteer who ran the local farmer's market. She said she needed someone to work one day a week, a few hours, to set up and take down the facilities of the farmer's market: basically I set out chairs and picnic tables, put bags in the garbage cans, etcetera. So, this basically sounds like the easiest job ever. Hang out with some hippies, eat free burritos, do some very light manual work. About half way through the summer, my boss started getting really mean, making personal comments, calling my lazy, telling me that I was careless for not checking the tire pressure in the little red wagon that we used to move the water jugs around. I asked around and found out she did this every year. I talked to one of the board members, who told me that my boss "had darkness in her heart". I went through the week feeling depressed and anxious because I was just worried about what random thing was going to be brought out against me next (including, one day, saying "Hello").

So for me, what matters to me first is my experiences, rather than the theoretical question of whether someone somewhere might be getting money that in a just world they shouldn't. I would have preferred being paid 25 cents an hour, having that money go into some "capitalists" bank account, if it meant I wasn't going through a week where my face felt like styrofoam because I was so depressed and felt so trapped.

And this might just be an anecdote, but kind of what I am asking about is...how much of workplace culture, especially the lovely parts, are not because of the "economic system", but because people are, in fact, lovely? Because I've also seen bad work environments in government work, and in the non-profit sector.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

PT6A posted:

Ultimately there's always going to be poo poo parts of every job, even good jobs, and people you don't get along with. A good job run by competent people will minimize the impact of these things so it's just an annoyance instead of something the causes depression and hopelessness.

---an adult, who has actually had a job, rather than someone who has read wikipedia articles on economic theories.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

ExplodingSims posted:

Then theres also I guess what you could call anti-intellectualism? You know, the things about how you can go to college for $50,000 and get a useless degree, or you could go to trade school like A REAL MAN and be earning $50,000 right out of the gate. Which, I mean, there certainly is a conversation to be had about such things. There does seem to be a lot of bias towards tradespeople as being dumb-dumbs who couldn't make in high school/college, or too "low class" to succeed otherwise. And that's no say nothing of how schools seem to push COLLEGE IS THE ONLY WAY YOU'LL SUCCEED IN LIFE throughout high school. That being said, I personally think that people should be free to do what makes them happy, or what they're interested in. You shouldn't be going to college just because you want the degree that should earn you the most money, you should be able to go and study what you're passionate about. The wold still need artists, and history majors and what have you.

One thing that is somewhat ironic about university versus blue collar work, is that to me, university takes a lot less "preparation". The tools you need to study in a university are tools that are everywhere, and are often free or cheap. Like if you want to read literature or learn about history, even a small town public library probably has enough to get a curious young teen a big head start. You can be intellectual for cheap. With things like science and math and technology, you do kind of need some type of facilities, but you can still learn a lot of the principles behind things like electronics, even if you can't practice. So with those types of things, you can study and learn on your own. Contrast that with something like learning to drive a forklift...you can't just go to the local library and check out a forklift or a welding kit. Those type of things require connections and structured programs to learn about. As a teenager, I learned the principles of electronics from Isaac Asimov books (which cost me a dollar each at a thrift store), but I never got a chance to look at a circuit or get hands-on experience. I became academic not because I was middle class, but because of the opposite.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

JustJeff88 posted:

I got my big break and my first full-time job was at a small college in the NW desert of the US. Non-tenured/tenure-track faculty at universities, even full-time ones, make considerably less than even public school teachers despite requiring a graduate degree to do so. I basically had to single-handedly manage my own university minor programme despite having only previously worked as a heavily-supervised TA in grad school and then one semester part-time. I worked 60-70 hours per week with no real help for two years and then they discontinued my position.

This doesn't sound exactly like adjunct faculty (because you were working 60 hours instead of 6), but it sounds like the new academic experience.

I was an adjunct instructor for two terms. As I describe it, being an adjunct instructor is a really good job...if you don't need a job. At one point, when I had very few classes, I was working 6 hours a week, and making 500 dollars a month. Making an extra 500 dollars a month for working two evenings a week is a pretty good deal. (And that is actually on the bottom end of the payscale for adjunct teaching.) But on the other hand, no one can live off of 500 dollars a month without another income. And, of course, every ten weeks, you had to find out whether you were unemployed for the next ten weeks.

But more than that, its a sign of how the "gig economy" has spread to activities that were at one time considered to be very formal employment. And how much of a gap there is between millenials and boomers about things like this. Some years ago (I think after I had this job), I was talking about how hard it was to find a job in higher education. And someone (who I assumed was a boomer, but I don't know) chimed in to tell me that Portland Community College has classes at night and perhaps I could start there? Like, to a lot of people, there is the idea that a Master's Degree means permanent job, with benefits, but that in a tough time, you can always start "at the bottom rung", and work your way up. But their idea of "bottom rung" would be a job that would be a very big stretch for most people in the field (teaching adjunctly in a large community college system usually requires a Master's in ESL and at least 2 years experience and sometimes 5 years). So there is this disconnect where our ceiling is their floor!

I think it is just taking a while for the message to percolate through popular culture, (especially because popular culture is going to glamorize life). Like take a show like Parks and Recreation: a character like Tom Haverford, who seems to be an office employee with no special talents, still has a permanent, middle-class job. So its kind of hard to go against that type of cultural inertia, where having "standard skills" is the bar for being middle class and easily employed.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Ytlaya posted:

This logic doesn't make any sense, since "how much a person is being paid" is a completely separate thing from whether their workplace is unpleasant in other ways. There is nothing about being paid less that somehow causes the work itself will be more pleasant, and the fact that higher paid work can also be more unpleasant is not in any way an argument against requiring that it be higher paid.

What is interesting is that you manage to use neither empathy, nor logic, when reading my statement. Like, some people have a deficit of one or the other, but you seem to lack both.

Let me rephrase what I was saying in small pieces:
"If a job situation is psychologically difficult, I find it unpleasant regardless of the structure of the job".

Just like "If apples have worms in them, I don't like to eat them" doesn't mean "Apples always have worms in them" or "Apples usually have worms in them", I wasn't saying that corporate jobs are necessarily psychologically better, just that if they are that is worth the fact that I am getting paid less. Or that some of my pay is going to a rent holder.

The statement I used was actually in the Third Conditional: talking about two different hypothetical situations in the past. If I could magically choose between a job with a small employer where I was very unhappy, and a job with a corporation where I was less unhappy, I would choose the first. (Obviously there are other considerations, I wouldn't work doing something morally wrong).

But since logic can be difficult, lets skip it and I just want to ask you directly:

You have a choice of two jobs. In one, you are working for a non-profit. You don't get paid on time, your boss is angry and personally insults you, and sometimes even kicks holes in walls, you have a co-worker who drinks on the job but no one can do anything, you are exposed to safety and health hazards, and that is just the way it goes. In the other job, you are working for a totally boring multinational corporation, working in a cubicle, doing some sort of abstract internal process work (editing TPS reports, maybe), and while you don't get any personal satisfaction or meaning from it, your co-workers are nice, your office is comfortable, your and your boss is passably nice to you.

So, between those two choices, which one do you choose? Yes, and I know obviously this is kind of a "trolley problem", because maybe you can find a non-profit that is also nice. Or even if you don't have to choose, would you have no reservations about your choice.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Darko posted:

- I'm a VP for a large financial organization (which really means nothing as a title, it just determines income) that does User Experience and Training Development. I work remotely. That makes me around 150k a year.
- I was also simultaneously a UX lead for a top automotive company until 6 months or so ago, when I found out my old manager screwed me over with HR by not telling them I had another job when I hired on a few years ago. I now am a design consultant that does a lot of videography for a second job, and am also remote, there. But yeah, I worked full time for two Fortune 50 companies at once in somewhat managerial positions. Automotive UX made me 120k a year. I'm working 30 hours a week as a consultant instead of full time now, though, and that makes me around 80k or so a year.
- I also am part owner of a restaurant in my city and am looking to expand to more restaurants/bars.
- I also do random extra-ing or stand-ins in movies/television when there's something I want to be in. That makes me like 15 an hour or something when I do it, plus overtime, and there's always overtime for that.
- I also design my own indie video games
- I also DJ

Well, if you aren't a pathological liar, congratulations! :)

Okay, kind of a random question, but I am imagining that being an extra is not something you do for the money...if you are making 150K a year, making an extra 100 bucks on the weekend, or whatever, doesn't seem to be very worthwhile...

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Darko posted:

Also, while I'm technically "rich," I'm also recently so, and basically two job losses away from being right back to scraping. Part of me having multiple jobs is paranoia about losing jobs, which is earned from being randomly screwed over so many times, jobwise, in my life. The difference between being rich and actual wealth. I grew up as a poor black kid in the city that became a middle class black kid and then finally a lower-rich adult, and don't have any familial property or wealth to my name outside of what I'm growing on my own now.

This is really interesting, and fits the discussion about being a "straddler". I want to hear more about what is is like to be a straddler, especially a black straddler. A lot of your story applies to me (including the GED and getting money after being poor), but that is as a white person---and as a white person, I kind of had the luxury of being "an outsider", I could just have a GED and read books and people would assume I was a nerdy outsider, not a criminal. A lot of times, black kids have to walk the line much more exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

BrandorKP posted:

poo poo wrong thread.

Well, its a good example of a very abusive work environment...

• Locked thread