Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

roomforthetuna posted:

I've been employed at small companies, and a very large company, and also self-employed both as an independent contractor and as a direct "I own the IP, I get the money" producer.

In my experience small companies (sample size 3) are significantly more totalitarian and employee-screwing than large companies (sample size 1 and a half). I think there's a certain stigma against large companies these days that means they have to pay a bit more competitively than their small competitors to get equivalent quality of workers, and they're almost certainly more concerned about potential legal action if they try to screw employees (whereas small companies can eg. just dissolve and leave the last two months of paychecks unpaid - didn't happen to me but has happened to friends. I got "oh we can give you a big raise in a year" which I took as a sign to quit immediately; the company dissolved ~8 months later.)

I found it to be the opposite, but I'm also very lucky. I was hired out of college by the professor I was doing research under, to join his company (and being the first employee), and do work as a software engineer. I've been there for 10 years now, and we've grown to around 15 employees. Everyone in the company gets benefits: health insurance, 75% matching of IRA contributions, start at 2 weeks of paid vacation per year (I'll be getting my 5th week of vacation shortly, although nobody really keeps track of the time off). Also there's profit sharing, which is of varying amounts but our xmas bonuses are greater than the median household income of my state, so that's nice.

Today, most of the employees can give input into projects that we are interested in, and we all have influential control over ideas, implementations, or even if we're going to turn a potential client away. Our workplace culture is extremely relaxed, most people roll into work in jeans and a t-shirt, sometimes a bit flashier if they have something to do after work. We don't have much to worry about bullying, although sometimes arguments about ideas get heated, but in the 10 years I've been there, we've never had a "problem" come up, and nobody has ever had a conflict with a co-worker.

The makeup of our company is fairly diverse, I'd say about 30% are women, and 50% are non-white.

I've worked for larger companies before, and they always seemed like office politics and petty grudges were the norm, and it drove me nuts.

I live and work in the suburbs of Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Extra-ing is something I do because I love filmmaking. However, I started extra-ing in my 20s, and the extra 200 bucks helped a whole lot back then. I would even be in Lifetime movies then. My dumb state got rid of its film incentives, though, so the last movie I was in was Batman v Superman, which I talked about in CineD when it was shooting. I get calls every now and then to be in stuff like Detroiters, but at this point, I just pick and choose stuff that I actually care about.

sup, i work across the street from the studio where that was filmed.

in fact i may go outside and throw a rock at it, right now.

• Locked thread