Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

Seems like a line that should be in a Kevin Smith movie.

Yes, or Jonah Hill with Seth Rogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I know that, but I thought it was a quote from a movie since fifteen posts in this thread autonomously said the exact same thing.

It's from office space

The original line I mean

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 6, 2018

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jonny Nox posted:

It's from office space

The original line I mean

Yeah. They thought they were going to jail for their "money laundering" scheme. "The best thing to do is find the biggest guy and kick his rear end. Or become someone's bitch."

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found out this week that a friend of mine started a 16 month sentence through the CA state system, though he will possibly get out sooner for good behavior/overcrowding. I am asking what can I do best to help him out while he is inside? I plan to visit at least once (never visited anyone incarcerated before) but this system is new to me. I hate to think of all the downtime with just your thoughts, but I am not sure what is allowed material if any. I can spring him some commissary money but how much would be recommended? Any other things I should consider?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

cinni posted:

I found out this week that a friend of mine started a 16 month sentence through the CA state system, though he will possibly get out sooner for good behavior/overcrowding. I am asking what can I do best to help him out while he is inside? I plan to visit at least once (never visited anyone incarcerated before) but this system is new to me. I hate to think of all the downtime with just your thoughts, but I am not sure what is allowed material if any. I can spring him some commissary money but how much would be recommended? Any other things I should consider?

Yeah, putting money on his account is always a great help, as is sending books(you can’t send them directly, but you can buy them through Amazon and have them sent to him). Even inmates who aren’t big readers end up reading a lot because it’s so loving boring.

Also, many/most inmates have to pay restitution, which is usually ~50%, so if you put $50 on his account(called ‘books’ in prison jargon), he’ll only get half of it. Even inmates who didn’t do crimes against people often have to pay toward their own court fees. It’s hosed up and a personal issue of mine.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

cinni posted:

If you can't spare money, write him once a week, even if you don't have much to say. Receiving mail is a huge morale booster. Also, some prisons have email systems. They are clunky and counterintuitive (and often cost the inmate money), but if he has an account it would be good to at least send him free-world updates every few days.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any advice that would be helpful to pass along to him that you can recall?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Prob advice on how not to get caught next time.

Also when you visit him suck his dick

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Can you get him a magazine subscription? If so look online for magazines targeted towards kids, especially boys, like 'Boys Life' and so on and get him 12 months worth.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

cinni posted:

Any advice that would be helpful to pass along to him that you can recall?

Take any vocational classes they offer, stay away from drama, don't call attention to yourself, understand the local prison politics, never piss off the case manager.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
So, the USA has basically been reverse engineering personality disorders into an entire class of people, mostly African-American, while encouraging them to become exceptionally physically fit and making them accustomed to the idea of working for tiny amounts of money per day, in an environment with minimal amounts of sunlight.

As someone who is not American, is it wrong for me to hope that the idea that you guys are paving the way for the re-establishment of slavery, is the LEAST worst thing that is happening in the US prison system right now??

Because Canada is RIGHT THERE. Lots of oil and poo poo in Canada. And we all know how the Americans love oil. And I like to keep an eye on fellow Commonwealth peoples. (Also, I doubt you'd go for Mexico. They'd turn your every city into another Alamo.)

No, seriously, what are you trying to do to your prisoners?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are you asking if we are making a slave army to invade Canada?

No, also, the regular military could do it better if we really wanted to.

I live in Canada now but I’m totally siding with the invaders whenif that happens.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

American companies already have access to Canadian oil, so it hardly seems necessary. We also took as much as we wanted of Mexico back in the 19th century.

It's mostly just reinforcing American class hierarchy, and once some entrepreneurs got in on the deal, it's standard practice to assist and not impair their acquisition of wealth over a little thing like human rights.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
We could probably fundamentally alter the entire nature of our society by just rewarding private prisons for low recidivism rates and penalizing them for high ones.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Thanatosian posted:

We could probably fundamentally alter the entire nature of our society by just rewarding private prisons for low recidivism rates and penalizing them for high ones.

THen they'd just try somehow to make sure everyone goes to prison once.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sell all the public schools to prison companies. It's genius!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

IronClaymore posted:

So, the USA has basically been reverse engineering personality disorders into an entire class of people, mostly African-American, while encouraging them to become exceptionally physically fit and making them accustomed to the idea of working for tiny amounts of money per day, in an environment with minimal amounts of sunlight.

As someone who is not American, is it wrong for me to hope that the idea that you guys are paving the way for the re-establishment of slavery, is the LEAST worst thing that is happening in the US prison system right now??

Because Canada is RIGHT THERE. Lots of oil and poo poo in Canada. And we all know how the Americans love oil. And I like to keep an eye on fellow Commonwealth peoples. (Also, I doubt you'd go for Mexico. They'd turn your every city into another Alamo.)

..."re-establishing?" Slavery never really went away. Actual chattel slavery was obviously sent off but that led to practices that were just as exploity and the amendment that ended it had the extra bit of "except as punishment for a crime." I forget the exact wording but it's still perfectly acceptable to use prisoners in America as involuntary labor. Not every state does it and I think the federal government doesn't at all.

It isn't about the prisoners; it's about money. There are companies that profit enormously off of the prison system. More prisoners, more prisons, more money. It isn't even just private prisons they're making money on; the companies that stock the commissaries make thoroughly obscene profits from them.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What the gently caress is this derail.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

how about another derail on the first step act? that's the bipartisan unicorn of a criminal justice reform that just became law. it only affects federal prisons: how will its provisions help? will the states move in that direction now?

also what's it like in prison n poo poo

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

It's really loud and the mailroom staff will read your magazines before giving them to you. But otherwise it's not that bad.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Hell Gem

Thanatosian posted:

Lol just never let anyone out. Charge them with bullshit while incarcerated and increase their sentence. 0% recidivism.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can’t we just be like Britain or Denmark and ship all the bad people away to some island, where they can run free to genocide the natives and build a gross, characterless society?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

THen they'd just try somehow to make sure everyone goes to prison once.
I bet you this would also greatly improve prisons in this country. I'm in.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Can’t we just be like Britain or Denmark and ship all the bad people away to some island, where they can run free to genocide the natives and build a gross, characterless society?
That's how we ended up where we are, now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Thats how we ended up where we are, now.

Yeah uh before we transported people to Australia the island we used was called 'North America' dude, you're welcome :sun:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That’s not actually true outside of Georgia, which was indeed a penal colony

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't see anything in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_Act_1717 and its successors restricting its scope to Georgia.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Christoph posted:

never piss off the case manager.

On this note: when anyone goes into prison I really cannot stress the importance of not pissing off the placement person (the one who interviews you and decides which unit is right for you).

If you are polite, attentive, respectful, humble and make it clear you just want to do your time and not get into any trouble they'll stick you on a chill unit where everyone tries to get along and do their time. Piss them off and they can and will put you on a gangbanger fight club unit to send a message to you to smarten the gently caress up. 60 Days In had a marvelous example of it the first season where the really pretentious teacher who scoffed at how much was being spent on prisons and acted better than everyone was put on a pure gang unit. I am willing to bet serious money that he had an attitude with placement and was put there as a result.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 2, 2019

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

debtor's colony! thanks grade school ga history

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

That show is such bullshit, but I couldn't stop watching it.

I've never been in a jail that didn't have individual doors on rooms. Seems like a small price for a lot of essential control. I don't know how well I would sleep at night, and I know CO's can't be too eager about walking around an unsecured pod

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oystertoadfish posted:

how about another derail on the first step act? that's the bipartisan unicorn of a criminal justice reform that just became law. it only affects federal prisons: how will its provisions help? will the states move in that direction now?

There is a stench when working the blocks that is unique. It's the smell of hot, unwashed clothes mixed with cooking foods & hints of bleach here & there. You'll long for the bleach odor cause that's the smell of cleanliness. Only you'll never see it only smell it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IronClaymore posted:

There is a largish segment of the us population with a dangerous combination of blind faith in the courts and unshakable conviction that criminals should be killed out of hand but only if that cannot be suitably tortured instead.

At no point is the concept of rehabilitation within a mile of their thought processes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Liquid Communism posted:

There is a largish segment of the us population with a dangerous combination of blind faith in the courts and unshakable conviction that criminals should be killed out of hand but only if that cannot be suitably tortured instead.

At no point is the concept of rehabilitation within a mile of their thought processes.

It's the same thing with parents who spank their kids.

"BUT IF I DON'T MAKE THEM SUFFER PAIN HOW WILL THEY LEARN???"

It's the thought process of an underdeveloped brain.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Liquid Communism posted:

In the US, prison is about punishment or making $$$ for the corporate prison complex. No politician will suicide their career trying to spend taxpayers dollars on rehabi/living conditions for criminals in prison. Also, convicted felons can't vote for them so...

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Death calls for criminals are everywhere. I was reading a real estate Facebook discussion group and a dude was talking about how porch pirates should be murdered. One-strike rule.

You can run your political campaign on the Code of Hammurabi and get elected.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

In the US, prison is about punishment or making $$$ for the corporate prison complex. No politician will suicide their career trying to spend taxpayers dollars on rehabi/living conditions for criminals in prison. Also, convicted felons can't vote for them so...

Christoph posted:

Death calls for criminals are everywhere. I was reading a real estate Facebook discussion group and a dude was talking about how porch pirates should be murdered. One-strike rule.

You can run your political campaign on the Code of Hammurabi and get elected.

I'm not sure how much longer this will be true. Everyone is passionate about being tough on crime when it's happened to them recently (and package theft is rampant right now), but there has been a building call for criminal justice reform for a number of years now. The new federal bill will take some time for its effects to show, but assuming it does what most people hope and once those effects are studied in a few years, we could see a push for more. I do believe it will continue at the federal level for quite awhile though, unless they start putting incentives in for the states - which would be smart, considering the vast majority of prisoners in the US are in state and local prisons/jails.

Again, that's assuming the First Step Act (or whatever it's called) is as effective as everyone hopes - we'll see in a few years.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There are several important studies showing (or preliminarily showing) that the investment return on providing rehabilitative and release services for offenders, even high risk ones (possibly even particularly for high risk offenders) pays off vastly better than simply incarcerating them. Not even that it is a little cheaper, it is vastly cheaper. Like a couple grand expenditure on readjustment services at release preliminarily seems to have a 50% reduction in reincarceration rates in high risk to reoffend populations.

A lot of people don't appreciate how badly a huge number of people in prison would love to get out of the cycles of poo poo that got them into prison. Like you get guys in their 40s with 30 year gang and drug backgrounds who absolutely would love to not stay caught up in all the bullshit and when presented with an opportunity jump at it. Not all obviously, but a very significant amount, especially once they have kids who are growing up without them.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 18, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Justin Godscock posted:

On this note: when anyone goes into prison I really cannot stress the importance of not pissing off the placement person (the one who interviews you and decides which unit is right for you).

If you are polite, attentive, respectful, humble and make it clear you just want to do your time and not get into any trouble they'll stick you on a chill unit where everyone tries to get along and do their time. Piss them off and they can and will put you on a gangbanger fight club unit to send a message to you to smarten the gently caress up. 60 Days In had a marvelous example of it the first season where the really pretentious teacher who scoffed at how much was being spent on prisons and acted better than everyone was put on a pure gang unit. I am willing to bet serious money that he had an attitude with placement and was put there as a result.

I want to hear more about gangbang fightclub units in prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I want to hear more about gangbang fightclub units in prison

In county jail I wrote so many letters to my family that insulted the guards (who read your mail before it goes out) that I got pulled into the hall and told that they were going to send me to gangbang fightclub if I kept doing it.