Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Inceltown posted:

Just lol that unions of prisoners while in prison work better than unions of workers. It's absolutely peachy to see that the state will do everything it can to crush them no matter where it is though.

There's been a similar situation fairly recently.

Also for what it's worth I personally believe that sentences for pot/weed offences are bullshit and antiquated especially the current move towards legalisiation in places like the states, unfortunatly our wonderful country is run by crusty old fucker's who live in fear of stabby young men hopped up on the devil's lettuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's not fear that keeps the prisons full. It's greed. As soon as people stop making money off prison the need to fill them will go away.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Inceltown posted:

It's not fear that keeps the prisons full. It's greed. As soon as people stop making money off prison the need to fill them will go away.

Doesn't have to be one or the other. The fear provides a useful cover to those who are in it for the greed. How many votes would a politician win for being "soft" on crime and sentencing?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Here’s something I’m curious about. I’ve ran into legit white crips before. In CA prison at least from what I’ve heard, the race thing is a HUGE loving deal even by US prison standards, all white dudes are expected to be part of some AB and Mexican mafia affiliated group, which are on the opposite side of all the black and Norteño prison gangs, including crips. So like, where do these dudes fit in if and when they end up in CA prison?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Are there prison gangs for Jewish people? Indoubt theyre getting in the AB

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Are there prison gangs for Jewish people? Indoubt theyre getting in the AB

Watching the movie shot caller prompted me watching a bunch of ex con YouTubers.

I was watching a video by a guy who (apparently, don’t know how accurate this YouTuber is) was a high ranking member of a white CA prison gang and according to him if you look white you’re expected to be a member of a white gang?

He said that someone in a “actual” Nazi clique allied to them attacked him because he a “Jewish” looking tattoo and it seems like while they’re all racist as hell, most don’t really care, its more about how you look and act.

I think the gang he was a leader in though was more like a lower level one that answers to AB.

He mentions the white crip though getting attacked by a rival skinhead gang but doesn’t go into further detail.

https://youtu.be/iJu3r6dpGYI

Curious what anyone who actually has been to prison or knows someone thinks about all this. Strange loving world to me. God imagine if all this energy was put into something besides keeping people locked up and going after each other.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
https://www.aish.com/sp/so/As-a-Jew-in-State-Prison.html?mobile=yes

This was an interesting read.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

poo poo that’s scary.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

He said that someone in a “actual” Nazi clique allied to them attacked him because he a “Jewish” looking tattoo and it seems like while they’re all racist as hell, most don’t really care, its more about how you look and act.

Prison/ gang racism (ime) is far less about politics and ideology and more about association . I’m not sure how they do things in California, but a major reason of why gangs are segregated is that it makes it easy to identity each other.

Racism is very real in prison, of course. A white guy in a black gang will always have some white enemy’s (although they may or may not do anything to him, depending on what gang he’s in and his status) . And on the other side , there is likely some black guys in that gang that aren’t truly going to accept or trust him.

I didn’t know many Jewish guys in prison , but they were affiliated with Caucasian.

When the topic of racism in the way of prison or gangs come up , keep in mind the one common thread is drugs . If you’re of Racial Group A and your job is to transport drugs from racial group B to racial group C , you better be very loving careful how loudly you talk that superiority poo poo. It’s tolerated and understood amongst each other that most symbolism is there to shock and provoke fights with outsiders. It’s why you will occasionally (increasingly less in the modern day) see minorities wearing swaztikas . These guys do not care about history, symbolism or ramifications. It’s about caused fear/ intimidation/ discomfort to the public and others.

Something else I thought was interesting , let’s say someone like Richard Spencer were to end up in prison. If he’s too vocal, it would be the job of the white guys to deliver the message of ‘shut the gently caress up’ . If he was preaching white power from the tier and the white guys did nothing, it could be seen as condoning it, which could lead to a war that nobody wants.

There are also many that stay quite and don’t want any part of the drug/gang life. They are still expected to follow some rules, but they are not likely to be in any danger by befriending other races. What is likely to happen is him being confronted by another white inmate who tells him that everyone saw him eating and laughing with a black guy at chow , and how AB was going to attack him EXCEPT that this guy had talked them out of it and for his heroism , he deserves money/commissary. The correct choice here is to tell him to gently caress off and be prepared to take it as far as he chooses. Giving him anything will alert the entire prison you can be manipulated , and running to the COs would be a worse choice.

I think Prison Reform should be a top priority for any BLM or anti-racism movement or group . You will see other races as members of gangs that were previously segregated, so things are changing slowly , but as long as prisons still run on racism it’s going to be present on the outside.

A good start would be getting rid of the (truly) nazi / white power guards. This is the kind of thing that happens in prisons;

'Just let them die': Ohio guards laughed as supremacist stabbed cuffed black inmates

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 6, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dr.Caligari posted:

Something else I thought was interesting , let’s say someone like Richard Spencer were to end up in prison. If he’s too vocal, it would be the job of the white guys to deliver the message of ‘shut the gently caress up’ .

Wouldn't a high-profile prisoner be segregated out of general population?

I get your point otherwise, though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Generally, yes . It does depend a lot on who it is , and I think everyone knows Spencer would be a target basically everyone wants . I just picked him due to not knowing of any other ‘political’ white supremacist

Depending on reception center used ,sometimes they will leave it up to the individual by giving them the choice of isolation or gen population. That’s a horrible choice to have, even by prison standards.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think Prison Reform should be a top priority for any BLM or anti-racism movement or group . You will see other races as members of gangs that were previously segregated, so things are changing slowly , but as long as prisons still run on racism it’s going to be present on the outside.

Great perspective as always and absolutely agree with this.

I've always been interested in prison reform in the abstract and did some light volunteer work through school 20+ years ago but until the recent protests etc hadn't seriously considered how I could get involved.

I'm a fairly ordinary college-educated middle/upper-middle-class white guy so I don't know how I'd be received with not a lot of transferable skills (I work in software) but I would genuinely like to get do something more, especially if I can help people get better jobs in some way so they don't have to possibly fall back into the cycle. FWIW I'm in the Phoenix area, home of former "America's Toughest Sheriff"/renowned piece-of-poo poo Joe Arpaio and his dumbass Tent Cities.

From your experience, what do you feel are the more impactful ways that people can volunteer their time and energy with prisoners? Any organization(s) you think do good work that are respected?