Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

In the US, prison is about punishment or making $$$ for the corporate prison complex. No politician will suicide their career trying to spend taxpayers dollars on rehabi/living conditions for criminals in prison. Also, convicted felons can't vote for them so...

Christoph posted:

Death calls for criminals are everywhere. I was reading a real estate Facebook discussion group and a dude was talking about how porch pirates should be murdered. One-strike rule.

You can run your political campaign on the Code of Hammurabi and get elected.

I'm not sure how much longer this will be true. Everyone is passionate about being tough on crime when it's happened to them recently (and package theft is rampant right now), but there has been a building call for criminal justice reform for a number of years now. The new federal bill will take some time for its effects to show, but assuming it does what most people hope and once those effects are studied in a few years, we could see a push for more. I do believe it will continue at the federal level for quite awhile though, unless they start putting incentives in for the states - which would be smart, considering the vast majority of prisoners in the US are in state and local prisons/jails.

Again, that's assuming the First Step Act (or whatever it's called) is as effective as everyone hopes - we'll see in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU