Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Some screencap Meryl Streep's face there TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm just too used to only really watching Wimbledon where crowds are generally pretty respectful and will stay quiet when players want to serve, but is it always like this in the US Open? Crowd is annoying as gently caress

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
US open is always rowdy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

New York is rowdy as gently caress but afaik Wimbledon is the one slam in recent memory where someone screamed in the middle of match point

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, does anyone have any interesting articles on doping? Are the top players not tested a lot? It kinda registered as weird that Federer and Williams etc are still dominating well into their mid-30's, but doping is obviously never mentioned in mainstream tennis coverage.

E: I found a decent one from last year by Marina Hyde:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/sep/13/tennis-drug-cheats-anti-doping

quote:

If you question the integrity of tennis, you will be issued plenty of invitations to eat it. It’s difficult to escape the conclusion that an awful lot of people simply do not want to know. Neither tennis fans, nor tennis administrators. Quite how long the latter can maintain this stance is unclear, but the Sharapova scandal has been effectively ridden out. Even so they, like their counterparts elsewhere, are presiding over a sport where commentators repeatedly – and increasingly – find themselves using words like “unbelievable” and “unprecedented” and phrases like “just doesn’t get tired”. I envy the authorities for apparently believing their sport is clean –but curse them for progressively ruining the enjoyment of those who know it simply can’t be.

So basically they test just enough to say 'look we test' but don't have any particular desire to really stop players doping.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 9, 2018

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

guys don't be racist of the us open crowd, and also serena williams

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Also, does anyone have any interesting articles on doping? Are the top players not tested a lot? It kinda registered as weird that Federer and Williams etc are still dominating well into their mid-30's, but doping is obviously never mentioned in mainstream tennis coverage.

Like cricket and rugby, the good folks of tennis would never dope. It would go against the good colonial spirit of the game.

This is poo poo people literally believe.

The only clean player was Ana Ivanovic because she was too good looking to be using steroids and outside of one month she was terrible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Like cricket and rugby, the good folks of tennis would never dope. It would go against the good colonial spirit of the game.

This is poo poo people literally believe.

The only clean player was Ana Ivanovic because she was too good looking to be using steroids and outside of one month she was terrible.
Kei is a good lad who would never dope because his coach is Michael Chang who is a good man who would not allow it

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Kei is a good lad who would never dope because his coach is Michael Chang who is a good man who would not allow it

I admit fault, my sweeping statement was incorrect the good and cool Kei would not dope, due to the Good Looking Clause. Same for Michael.

Coincidentally Jim Courier would not dope due to the somewhat related Swamp Monster Clause.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tennis is very entertaining.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love all these random cuts to celebs in the crowd.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Evil is winning

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

darryl from the office is into this match

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

poo poo!

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Evil is winning

No, Osaka won.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Can we have a mod scour this and the tennis thread for people who typed "djoker?" I feel this is something that needs to be cracked down on,

Unless I did it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
You conspiracy theorists can't accept that players like Nadal are just getting totally standard plasma injections to recover from a knee injury within a month at age 32 and presumably return again in top form. Don't know what would make someone think he'd resort to doping

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

xbilkis posted:

You conspiracy theorists can't accept that players like Nadal are just getting totally standard plasma injections to recover from a knee injury within a month at age 32 and presumably return again in top form. Don't know what would make someone think he'd resort to doping

Nadal, much like the great sporting nation of Spain, is clean as hell.

OTOH as he's not gluten free I'll inject him with chimera hormones and shark rabies myself if it means he hits the ball so hard it makes Djokovic explode into a mass of blood and gore.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Novak is too much right now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ugh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This dude is doped up?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Delpo looks exhausted

E: welp

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I wish this chair ref was racist against non-gluteners.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love my spicy boy Delpo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bullshit.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Congrats Djokovic

:smith:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

gently caress you djokovic

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought the dudes played best 3 of 5

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

??? they do. Djokovic won three sets

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Delpo :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Del Potro :(

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

??? they do. Djokovic won three sets

Weird. So he's all doped up or what?

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Weird. So he's all doped up or what?

he's no serena but yes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Puckish Rogue posted:

he's no serena but yes

Are you sure? I think I would have heard something about that

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

you don't get away with it if you tell people you're doing it dude

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

hahaha

Ahh, nice one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

you don't get away with it if you tell people you're doing it dude

So there's some, like, circumstantial evidence that Djokovic is juicing then?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Gluten-free diet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PostNouveau posted:

So there's some, like, circumstantial evidence that Djokovic is juicing then?

He is 69 years old and winning Grand Slams

• Locked thread