Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I enjoy crazy sports drama, so that was pretty fun to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Serena wants an apology from Ramos but she should be giving an apology to Osaka.

Well done Naomi :D

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well that was a great match

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Woof, great tennis. Shame about the weirdness around the actual play.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this was an unfair final to both of them. osaka played better, though

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Nice that Serena was at least gracious towards Osaka herself at the end there.

Great performance.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Ump gave her a penalty early because her coach gave her a thumbs-up after winning a great rally, and he said she was "getting coaching". Serena was super pissed because he's basically accusing her of cheating, and she doesn't even take the coaching breaks she's allowed to take. So when she smashed her racquet she got a second warning and a point penalty, which I think is when she realized the first warning actually counted against her. So she told the ump off for stealing points from her and he gave her a third warning which is a game penalty.
To be clear, the first violation was because Serena's coach DID give her coaching. He told her to come in more, which she did, which helped her win a number of points.

Serena assumed it was about her asking for coaching but it doesn't matter. The player always gets the penalty even if the coach acts alone.

The second violation is pretty obvious for smashing a racquet.

The third violation is not specifically about calling the umpire a thief. It's because she WOULD NOT SHUT UP about it and kept berating the umpire even 2 games later.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

C-Euro posted:

Woof, great tennis. Shame about the weirdness around the actual play.

Yeah the umpire just made this all lovely, maybe for a high profile final he could have held back

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Umpire should be sanctioned. The coaching rule should be eliminated.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I think Osaka would have won in the end, but the ump did an amazing job of putting that under a cloud

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

The third violation is not specifically about calling the umpire a coach. It's because she WOULD NOT SHUT UP about it and kept berating the umpire even 2 games later.

Man I wouldn't either gently caress that dude

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Redeem this Open with a Djokovic career-ending injury tomorrow

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I dont know how you could possible argue the third penalty

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

To be clear, the first violation was because Serena's coach DID give her coaching. He told her to come in more, which she did, which helped her win a number of points.

Serena assumed it was about her asking for coaching but it doesn't matter. The player always gets the penalty even if the coach acts alone.

The second violation is pretty obvious for smashing a racquet.

The third violation is not specifically about calling the umpire a thief. It's because she WOULD NOT SHUT UP about it and kept berating the umpire even 2 games later.

so it was basically a prolonged tantrum?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Clearly not a thumbs up

https://twitter.com/bryce_parker26/status/1038537193365499905

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dutchy posted:

I don't think she realized that she actually got a warning for the coaching violation, she seemed to be surprised when Naomi was given a point after that racquet smash. And then it just snowballed from there.

And then yeah her coach said "yes it was coaching, but actually it's OK because" in the post-game interview which seems like a bad thing to admit!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It was a justified tantrum because people don't give out those penalties, especially in a loving open finals.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dutchy posted:

You can yell at the umpire a little bit, that happens regularly. But to keep harping on it after multiple changeovers absolutely qualifies as verbal abuse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They're right

Edit: This was to a comment about the fans that was edited, the current version of the post above is bad

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 8, 2018

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was the most insane tennis match I've ever seen :stare:

I hope this doesn't traumatize Osaka. This should have been the best moment of her life and it's tarnished.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Shneak posted:

That was the most insane tennis match I've ever seen :stare:

I hope this doesn't traumatize Osaka. This should have been the best moment of her life and it's tarnished.
No one will care in 10 minutes, least of all her

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This is tough to watch

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This really sucks for Naomi she almost looks sorry for winning

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Craziest thing about this match is that Skip Bayless has the most reasonable take I've seen https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1038546516783157249?s=19

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Imagine being such a loving dweeb that you congratulate a tennis ump on a "great call"

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Spring Break My Heart posted:

She is clearly really upset and not happy about this so hopefully you’re right!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ugggghhh this sucks

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Naomi makes me wanna cry :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shneak posted:

Welp :smith:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think so. Her championship was just irrevocably tainted. No one is gonna remember this as the day Naomi Osaka reached the top. It's going to be "Remember that time the ump blatantly screwed Serena?"

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"I know everyone was cheering for her and I'm sorry it had to end that way."

fuckkkk

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully she's got a few more major wins in her future.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Craziest thing about this match is that Skip Bayless has the most reasonable take I've seen https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1038546516783157249?s=19

That's my view, as much as I hate agreeing with Skip

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I don't think so. Her championship was just irrevocably tainted. No one is gonna remember this as the day Naomi Osaka reached the top. It's going to be "Remember that time the ump blatantly screwed Serena?"
That's really loving stupid, dude.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Little Kielbasa posted:

P much. Osaka looked really good even leading up to the drama and I don't know how you'd catch coaching like that without having a camera on Serena's coach the whole time (and he might not have even been aware of the camera)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmao that getting coaching during a match is even against the rules

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
gently caress the crowd, though, seriously. How loving classless can you get? Completely spoiled the moment for Osaka. Also, whether or not the warning was justified (kinda seems like it was, seeing as the coach admitted to coaching...) Williams didn't act professionally at all and brought everything after the initial warning on herself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bardeh posted:

gently caress the crowd, though, seriously. How loving classless can you get? Completely spoiled the moment for Osaka. Also, whether or not the warning was justified (kinda seems like it was, seeing as the coach admitted to coaching...) Williams didn't act professionally at all and brought everything after the initial warning on herself.
This Is America

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Serena at least told the crowd to shut the gently caress up and stop booing during the trophy presentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Nah, Osaka was going to beat her either way. Osaka is probably also going to keep winning slams, which will cement this first win as a legitimate one.

• Locked thread