Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I’m so sick of Kyrgios’s bullshit, I hope Federer destroys him

But as always I want Stan to win it all :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

lol @ those lines, who would ever bet on Zverev to win let alone make it to quarters

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Now’s yer chance, Jelena! lol

die djokey die

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 2, 2018

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Suarez Navarro rules

I want Sevastova to beat Sloane but I don’t think it’s gonna happen

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

nadal got the newest software update too early

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

nvm looks like they patched it

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

this already feels longer than nadal/thiem

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

the coaching rule is fuckin dumb. only a very lovely uncharitable reading of the rules gets Serena a game penalty there imo, especially in a grand slam final

after the match one of the commentators (evert i think) said that when serena was tearing into the ump he should of at least said something like “if you don’t stop you’ll get a game penalty” because i don’t think anyone expected it. seemed like a good idea to me, it’s only fair to remind someone of the (admittedly stupid) consequences in a heated situation like that

oh well. osaka was brilliant. i think she would have won even without all the bullshit

onward! let’s go delpo :unsmith:

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

iospace posted:

Here's my take:

The original, coaching warning was ticky tack. It should have resulted in either a mental note on the ump's part or an unofficial warning. The racket warning is open and shut. I think the third should have had an unofficial "if you do not stop, I will issue a game penalty" notice, and that should be in all situations before a game penalty is first assessed, but that's me. She did keep on chirping him after she did officially get the third, so maybe it wouldn't have stopped it from coming down.

I sincerely believe Osaka would have won, either in a close 2nd set or in the 3rd. Serena didn't seem to have it, though she was getting back into things in the 2nd, though the warnings tilted her out of the match.

The long and short of it: I think the umpire decided to insert himself into a major championship.

this is pretty much perfect. the enforcement of the rules today didn’t track with my experience watching lots of matches, and the warnings weren’t that clearly stated either. there need to be a very direct announcements, especially when strike 3 costs you a game. i’m sure most people watching at home were confused.

and yeah, Osaka’s serves and passing shots were way too good. she was gonna win.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Puckish Rogue posted:

Who are all you people?

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

let’s gooooo delpo :neckbeard:

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

wish i was in the friends of delpo party box rn

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006