Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wonder if Serena eats gluten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

are all six reasons doping

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

I loving hate tennis.

Hope Nadal's drugs are better than Djokovic's this time.

It's probably fine for the health of the sport of tennis that all the good players are 58 years old. Great sport

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Serena is a dope fraud.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jack's Flow posted:

Osaka was better and on her way to winning anyway. Serena is still awesome and the GOAT. On her being perceived as some sort of classless bully: people are celebrating John McEnroe, „such a character!“, to this day, a guy who abused umpires and linesmen too many times to count. What happened yesterday absolutely had to do with her being a woman talking poo poo to the ref. But a piece like the one by Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post goes too far when she concludes that we will never know whether or not Osaka could have won without the incident. I strongly disagree with that.

People loving hated McEnroe, everything like that mellows after retirement. I can't believe all the takes about Serena Williams being treated badly by the media. I can't think of any other tennis player except maybe Federer who constantly gets more effusive coverage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fancyclown posted:

Roger Federer is a saint! Seriously though, I love Roger Federer.

I regret to say that Roger Federer, too, is a dope fraud.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seems selfish for Serena to have melted down in a game she was losing so that all the stories this morning were about her being hard done by. Very rude to her opponent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

I hope Serena is okay after she jawed off like a loving bear trap before the evil union that rules tennis, out of pure venom and sexism, punished Serena in a game she was losing anyway because motherhood makes you weak.

The extremely racist WTA blatantly punished Serena Williams in favor of *checks* Naomi Osaka

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like I'm in crazytown with the Washington Post and USA Today columns. The USA Today columnist is especially bad: "Ramos penalized Williams for an absurd infraction involving her coach “coaching,” which for reasons no one can really understand, is somehow not allowed in tennis. Just imagine the Golden State Warriors being penalized for Coach Steve Kerr daring to coach his team during a game."

Tennis coverage is terrible because 90% of people who follow/write about the sport don't actually pay attention to anything that isn't at least a Grand Slam semi-final.

Also nobody bothers to ask why an extremely athletic sport is dominated by people who are in their mid-30s, because that would be inconvenient.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love all the "that rule is stupid" takes. I bet these are the same people who watch soccer once and constantly say the offside rule is dumb.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Veskit posted:

The coaching violation was ridiculous and the ump should have made an attempt to deescalate before throwing a game violation. Literally all sports are given this respect and most men in tennis. Also there's no sport outside of fighting that someone coul d give the opponent a point like that so it's even crazier.

Lol why. How that would be fair to Osaka who didn't have a rolling meltdown and call the umpire a thief. Because Serena is more famous?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Veskit posted:

Holy poo poo do you guys not understand what I mean by it's an enforcement issue?

Please explain why a referee is responsible for "de-escalating" a player yelling at them without giving them a penalty. Also explain why this is at all fair to the player who isn't breaking the rules.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like holy poo poo if you called a soccer ref a thief and a liar because you didn't like a free kick call, you'd get at least a yellow and very likely a straight red and a big rear end fine from your league. He is not responsible for explaining his actions or "de-escalating".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LionArcher posted:

They don’t because they are Sexist trump voters.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is always a level of discretion when it comes to refereeing and people who believe there is one absolute correct way to approach every situation probably believe the poo poo that Kavanaugh spewed this week

Great takes. You guys could write tennis articles for the press. All you need to do is promise never to watch a single match that isn't in a Grand Slam tournament and promise to never learn anything about any player who isn't Serena Williams or one of the big four men's players.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Veskit posted:

If it was a world cup match the ref would be irresponsible not to holy poo poo we've gone over this.

Also its not on the same level of discipline at literally giving you opponent points

Someone literally scored on a penalty in the last World Cup Final lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a penalty in soccer which has happened in multiple finals, and frequently for borderline calls, is significantly worse than getting a game penalty in tennis, even in a 3-set match lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LionArcher posted:

It’s fun seeing how many racist people in here think they know what they are talking about while doubling down and continue to be racist while plenty of people of color and actual sports experts explain why it was racism and bad calls.

Nobody in the general press knows jack poo poo about tennis.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If tennis really wanted to be racist they could try investigating why Serena Williams is dominating a highly athletic sport at the age of like 69.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope good honest boy DelPo beats the Dope Fiend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cornflakes posted:

wish i was in the friends of delpo party box rn

they'll be eschewing gluten and firing up the centrifuges in Belgrade tonight

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Poor match. Let's watch some 90s Tour Championship matches instead imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

I miss Jim Courier.

Michael Chang, mmm what a player.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We all hate Ivan Lendl

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Like cricket and rugby, the good folks of tennis would never dope. It would go against the good colonial spirit of the game.

This is poo poo people literally believe.

The only clean player was Ana Ivanovic because she was too good looking to be using steroids and outside of one month she was terrible.
Kei is a good lad who would never dope because his coach is Michael Chang who is a good man who would not allow it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PostNouveau posted:

So there's some, like, circumstantial evidence that Djokovic is juicing then?

He is 69 years old and winning Grand Slams

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Here's my list of true rear end sports facts:

Djokovic is juicing
Everyone is juicing
Serena is a petulant child
The Longhorns will be lucky to finish 3-9
Men's grand slams finals are a best of 5 scoring system.
Djokovic doesn't need gluten due to the super soldier serum.

Agreed.
Agreed except my good lad Kei.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed the Serbian government is funding his doping program for sure. Almost as bad as Spain.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PostNouveau posted:

He's 31 though? Which is the age Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors won the U.S. Open, unless those two were doping too?

Americans don't dope except Serena which is why they never win anything anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

runoverbobby posted:

Even if you agree with the WTA and the double-standard assertion, I don’t understand why anyone would ultimately empathize with Serena here. Surely the solution is to penalize more men for abusing umpires, rather than to allow everyone to abuse umpires? Unless you enjoy watching unprofessional petulant tantrums because you somehow think it shows “fire” or “strength”. The umpires shouldn’t need to tolerate harassment at work.

people frequently get dinged for yelling at umpires, it's just rare for someone to do it for their third violation of the match because that would be dumb to do

• Locked thread