Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nadal and Federer are seeded 1 and 2, respectively. Though they won the first 2 slams of the year, as they did in 2017, Djokovic won Wimbledon and the last big warm up tournament in Cincinnati, and in doing so became the first man to win all 9 ATP Masters 1000 tournaments. However, since Djokovic is coming back from injury, he doesn't have that many ranking points so he's seeded 6th.

On the women's side, who knows. Serena hasn't been a little disappointing since having a baby, and the slam winners from this year, Wozniacki, Halep, and Kerber are inconsistent.

LOL at this poo poo logo.

http://www.usopen.org/index.html

TV coverage is on ESPN/ESPN2/WatchESPN. The US Open also has complete radio coverage available on their website and app.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites
Novak Djokovic 5/2
Rafael Nadal 5/2
Roger Federer 11/2
Alexander Zverev 10/1
Juan Martin Del Potro 16/1
Marin Cilic 18/1
Andy Murray 33/1
Kevin Anderson 33/1
Nick Kyrgios 33/1
Stan Wawrinka 33/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites
Simona Halep 6/1
Serena Williams 13/2
Angelique Kerber 15/2
Sloane Stephens 17/2
Petra Kvitová 14/1
Madison Keys 16/1
Elina Svitolina 18/1
Gabrine Muguruza 20/1
Kiki Bertens 20/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Puckish Rogue posted:

i hate this thread title, op
He’s gonna win 3 slam in a row again hth

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

C'mon Naomi, you can do this.
I normally root against Serena, but I've been a fan of Naomi ever since her first slam at the 2016 Australian Open so I'm doubly rooting against Serena.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is literally the most insane thing I've ever seen in a tennis match, much less a grand slam final.

"This has happened to me too many times." :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Ump gave her a penalty early because her coach gave her a thumbs-up after winning a great rally, and he said she was "getting coaching". Serena was super pissed because he's basically accusing her of cheating, and she doesn't even take the coaching breaks she's allowed to take. So when she smashed her racquet she got a second warning and a point penalty, which I think is when she realized the first warning actually counted against her. So she told the ump off for stealing points from her and he gave her a third warning which is a game penalty.
To be clear, the first violation was because Serena's coach DID give her coaching. He told her to come in more, which she did, which helped her win a number of points.

Serena assumed it was about her asking for coaching but it doesn't matter. The player always gets the penalty even if the coach acts alone.

The second violation is pretty obvious for smashing a racquet.

The third violation is not specifically about calling the umpire a thief. It's because she WOULD NOT SHUT UP about it and kept berating the umpire even 2 games later.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dutchy posted:

so it was basically a prolonged tantrum?
You can yell at the umpire a little bit, that happens regularly. But to keep harping on it after multiple changeovers absolutely qualifies as verbal abuse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bardeh posted:

gently caress the crowd, though, seriously. How loving classless can you get? Completely spoiled the moment for Osaka. Also, whether or not the warning was justified (kinda seems like it was, seeing as the coach admitted to coaching...) Williams didn't act professionally at all and brought everything after the initial warning on herself.
This Is America

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Going at the umpire for the entire changeover will probably get some sort of penalty in any sport.
Yup, this is what it boils down to. If you're an MLB manager, you get ejected. In the NFL, you get ejected for contacting a ref. In the NBA, you get a technical foul and you're ejected after 2 technicals. This was Serena's 3rd violation.

Puckish Rogue posted:

I like tennis again.
Lucky for you, tomorrow's final between Delpo and Djoker should be a classic.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 9, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Osaka was better and on her way to winning anyway. Serena is still awesome and the GOAT. On her being perceived as some sort of classless bully: people are celebrating John McEnroe, „such a character!“, to this day, a guy who abused umpires and linesmen too many times to count. What happened yesterday absolutely had to do with her being a woman talking poo poo to the ref. But a piece like the one by Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post goes too far when she concludes that we will never know whether or not Osaka could have won without the incident. I strongly disagree with that.
Sally Jenkins is a loving hack who tried to redeem Lance Armstrong.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone saying male players say worse are missing the point. They do it, get a warning, and stop. You don't have to call the umpire a loving cocksucker to draw a verbal abuse code violation. It was her 3rd violation, and the 3rd violation is a game penalty. Serena knows the rules but thinks they don't apply to her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like I'm in crazytown with the Washington Post and USA Today columns. The USA Today columnist is especially bad: "Ramos penalized Williams for an absurd infraction involving her coach “coaching,” which for reasons no one can really understand, is somehow not allowed in tennis. Just imagine the Golden State Warriors being penalized for Coach Steve Kerr daring to coach his team during a game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Veskit posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing the rule but rather the enforcement?
Are you saying the umpire should not have given the verbal abuse code violation? That happens all the time with men. The difference is that it's usually their first violation and then they stop. For Serena, it was her 3rd. The rule is that your 3rd violation is a game penalty.

• Locked thread