Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm an American but gently caress it, go Osaka

Also Serena madshook, drat

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress is happening

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

Ump gave her a penalty early because her coach gave her a thumbs-up after winning a great rally, and he said she was "getting coaching". Serena was super pissed because he's basically accusing her of cheating, and she doesn't even take the coaching breaks she's allowed to take. So when she smashed her racquet she got a second warning and a point penalty, which I think is when she realized the first warning actually counted against her. So she told the ump off for stealing points from her and he gave her a third warning which is a game penalty.

Yeah I follow all that, it was more of a rhetorical "what the gently caress :psyduck:"

Now I feel bad for calling her shook.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Woof, great tennis. Shame about the weirdness around the actual play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dutchy posted:

so it was basically a prolonged tantrum?

I don't think she realized that she actually got a warning for the coaching violation, she seemed to be surprised when Naomi was given a point after that racquet smash. And then it just snowballed from there.

And then yeah her coach said "yes it was coaching, but actually it's OK because" in the post-game interview which seems like a bad thing to admit!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shneak posted:

I hope this doesn't traumatize Osaka. This should have been the best moment of her life and it's tarnished.

Welp :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Craziest thing about this match is that Skip Bayless has the most reasonable take I've seen https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1038546516783157249?s=19

P much. Osaka looked really good even leading up to the drama and I don't know how you'd catch coaching like that without having a camera on Serena's coach the whole time (and he might not have even been aware of the camera)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bardeh posted:

gently caress the crowd, though, seriously. How loving classless can you get? Completely spoiled the moment for Osaka. Also, whether or not the warning was justified (kinda seems like it was, seeing as the coach admitted to coaching...) Williams didn't act professionally at all and brought everything after the initial warning on herself.

Yeah that dumb as hell, even if Serena wasn't asking for coaching he legitimized that penalty by saying that.

nachos posted:

Serena at least told the crowd to shut the gently caress up and stop booing during the trophy presentation

Yeah Serena still owns, don't get me wrong.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol this announcer lady can't catch a break

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Some screencap Meryl Streep's face there TIA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love all these random cuts to celebs in the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love my spicy boy Delpo

• Locked thread