Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Americans rooting against Serena smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think they're saying "Boo-rena"

I was talking about in this thread. The crowd at the venue is clearly very pro-Serena

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This guy is a humongous prick

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

“And here come the pretzels”

If only

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

What the gently caress is happening

Ump gave her a penalty early because her coach gave her a thumbs-up after winning a great rally, and he said she was "getting coaching". Serena was super pissed because he's basically accusing her of cheating, and she doesn't even take the coaching breaks she's allowed to take. So when she smashed her racquet she got a second warning and a point penalty, which I think is when she realized the first warning actually counted against her. So she told the ump off for stealing points from her and he gave her a third warning which is a game penalty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

Sucks for Osaka that she is going to get overshadowed by this bullshit if she wins

Yeah she was winning but people are gonna be like "That dick stole it"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well that was a great match

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

The third violation is not specifically about calling the umpire a coach. It's because she WOULD NOT SHUT UP about it and kept berating the umpire even 2 games later.

Man I wouldn't either gently caress that dude

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully she's got a few more major wins in her future.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: The post-game crew is saying the men curse at the umps and don't get warnings? That's pretty hosed up

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did McEnroe ever get a game penalty for cursing at umpires for literally hours

Ah he got completely thrown out of the Australian Open once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2rjocv-Jo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

All the 'IN OTHER SPORTS SHE WOULD BE EJECTED FOR HER SASS' arguments are loving dumb because the equivalent for this is the umpire awarding a team the go ahead run in the ninth inning of game seven of the World Series because he got called something that was not even an expletive or murder threat or anything.

Also she isn't playing a different sport she is playing tennis, where people have traditionally bitched to the chair about literally everything for entire sets.

Also watch a football game. Or basketball.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Or hockey/mma or pretty much any other sport

Right, baseball is the only one I can think of where bitching out the refs will get you hammered.

Maybe cricket or other sports with tea breaks?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

It was after the second for what it's worth when she broke her racket that she really melted down. I don't think she realized it was an official warning at that point.

She definitely thought she was on her first warning breaking the racket. She had an interaction with the ump after the first warning where she thought she'd straightened it out with him, and he didn't explain to her that he was giving her a penalty for her coach's actions, not hers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Even then has there been a world series in which that has happened?

I'm sure. You can get ejected in baseball just for arguing balls and strikes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

IIRC Roger Clemens, when he was still with the Red Sox, once got ejected in the first inning of an ALCS game for bitching to the home plate umpire from the mound about balls and strikes. He didn't even have to go face-to-face with the ump.

IIRC, baseball has a weird rule specifically about balls and strikes, and you can get away with ref sass about other things but they'll eject you in a second if you say they called a strike wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This dude is doped up?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought the dudes played best 3 of 5

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

??? they do. Djokovic won three sets

Weird. So he's all doped up or what?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Puckish Rogue posted:

he's no serena but yes

Are you sure? I think I would have heard something about that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

you don't get away with it if you tell people you're doing it dude

So there's some, like, circumstantial evidence that Djokovic is juicing then?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He is 69 years old and winning Grand Slams

He's 31 though? Which is the age Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors won the U.S. Open, unless those two were doping too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Acquilae posted:

they're doping, the entire ATP/WTA is doping, everyone's doping, even us

Just because I'm doping to keep up this high level of posting doesn't mean everyone is

• Locked thread