Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

It ended in a fitting fashion with Thiem missing the routine overhead put-away on match point. This was my first time watching Theim play and he had a strange combination of being rock solid in difficult, high pressure situations and abysmal in easy, high pressure situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Vengarr posted:

I don't think so. Her championship was just irrevocably tainted. No one is gonna remember this as the day Naomi Osaka reached the top. It's going to be "Remember that time the ump blatantly screwed Serena?"

Nah, Osaka was going to beat her either way. Osaka is probably also going to keep winning slams, which will cement this first win as a legitimate one.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Cornflakes posted:

after the match one of the commentators (evert i think) said that when serena was tearing into the ump he should of at least said something like “if you don’t stop you’ll get a game penalty” because i don’t think anyone expected it. seemed like a good idea to me, it’s only fair to remind someone of the (admittedly stupid) consequences in a heated situation like that

Agreed. I just watched the whole thing for the first time and while all the warnings and code violations were legitimate, I’m amazed Ramos didn’t give Serena a verbal reminder that continuing to berate him would result in a game penalty. I’m pretty sure that would have ended it there and then.

• Locked thread