Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
gently caress the crowd, though, seriously. How loving classless can you get? Completely spoiled the moment for Osaka. Also, whether or not the warning was justified (kinda seems like it was, seeing as the coach admitted to coaching...) Williams didn't act professionally at all and brought everything after the initial warning on herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

Nobody is arguing that. Ref ruined the game and the win because he’s a sexist racist piece of poo poo

lmao what in the hell? I feel like I'm in bizarro world reading posts like these. She called the umpire a liar and a thief, when he followed the rules exactly as he should've done. She deliberately smashed her racquet. She berated him for three games, and told him 'you'll never be on the same court as me again'. The way she was conducting herself was appalling, and in no way befitting of someone who's been around for as long as she has.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

That’s a lie. He did not follow the rules exactly. It’s selective enforcement. Did she lose her temper? Yes. But it’s obvious he was being sexist, and frankly, the fact that your not seeing this, or all the bullshit she’s constantly had to put up with shows your bias as well. Calling it “appalling”is borderline sexist and racist as well.

you are a crazy person

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm just too used to only really watching Wimbledon where crowds are generally pretty respectful and will stay quiet when players want to serve, but is it always like this in the US Open? Crowd is annoying as gently caress

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, does anyone have any interesting articles on doping? Are the top players not tested a lot? It kinda registered as weird that Federer and Williams etc are still dominating well into their mid-30's, but doping is obviously never mentioned in mainstream tennis coverage.

E: I found a decent one from last year by Marina Hyde:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/sep/13/tennis-drug-cheats-anti-doping

quote:

If you question the integrity of tennis, you will be issued plenty of invitations to eat it. It’s difficult to escape the conclusion that an awful lot of people simply do not want to know. Neither tennis fans, nor tennis administrators. Quite how long the latter can maintain this stance is unclear, but the Sharapova scandal has been effectively ridden out. Even so they, like their counterparts elsewhere, are presiding over a sport where commentators repeatedly – and increasingly – find themselves using words like “unbelievable” and “unprecedented” and phrases like “just doesn’t get tired”. I envy the authorities for apparently believing their sport is clean –but curse them for progressively ruining the enjoyment of those who know it simply can’t be.

So basically they test just enough to say 'look we test' but don't have any particular desire to really stop players doping.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 9, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Delpo looks exhausted

E: welp

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I thought the dudes played best 3 of 5

??? they do. Djokovic won three sets