Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I told you it was coming
Hello and welcome to Let's Play Counter-Life! Coun-- wait, hang about, let's try that again...

Hello and welcome to Let's Play The Half-Life® Modification™ Counter-Life, a Half-Life® Modification™ that modifies Valve Corporation™'s seminal shooter Half-Life® in a modificatory way!

Ok, dumb jokes aside Counter-Life is a goldsrc mod that seeks to combine the high tension of Counter-Strike with the Half-Life single-player, a game which should need no introduction. You're probably wondering how exactly that could work, a question to which I respond "very well, actually". What it does first and foremost is replace the Half-Life armory with that of Counter-Strike and with it CS's lethality and punishing skill demands. The CS guns aren't just reskins of Half-Life's peashooters, but retain all their CS characteristics: their high precision, their high recoil, and of course their very high lethality. Naturally, your foes' damage dealing capability is similarly increased. Beyond that, it also takes the scavenging of...well...pretty much every shooter up to this point and replaces it with Counter-Strike's buy system. Every health and HEV station is a shop from which you can purchase an arsenal worthy of Arnold Schwarzeneggar's Commando...so long as you have the money. How do you get the money? Two ways: by a bounty paid for every enemy killed or by cracking crates and scavenging their contents. Every drop that's not a health kit or car battery is replaced by a bundle of $50 USD, cold, hard cash. With that, we have our means to go to war. If any of this sounds interesting to you, you can download it from moddb.

Now, the LP
Unlike the abject failure that was the Team America reject Condition Zero, Counter-Life is a surprisingly good game, and one I will pay significantly more respect. Specifically this'll be a straightforward informative VLP with commentary done almost entirely in character. I think that keeping it in character will complement the tension far better than the coldly detached 3rd person.

This is also a participation LP; because Counter-Life lets us choose our weapons, you can help decide ours! I'll try to end every episode at a buy station, and I urge you to call out any weapons you'd like me to take. For details, check the weapons section below. Non-goons are also welcome, just message me directly. Finally, updates will be at a rate of whenever I feel like it, which by past experience usually means 1-4 EPs every couple weeks or so.

So without further ado, Counter-Life.

Current Status
Equipment: USP, M3 shotgun, AK-47, AWM, MINIMI
Money: 12125
Comment: I don't like minefields. Does anyone?

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Gordon is remarkably buff, but he's not Heracles. His carrying capacity is limited to one of each of the following:
knife❚handgun❚shotgun❚SMG❚assault rifle❚bolt-rifle/DMR❚LMG❚RPG
Let's take a brief look at each of them. Note that in all cases not otherwise noted the weapon described adheres to its CS equivalent.

Knife
It's...it's a knife. If you don't know what one is you're probably not allowed around sharp objects in the first place.

Glock 18

Price: 400 Capacity: 17 9x19mm
A cheap but not ineffective pistol, most notable for its fully-automatic capability.

H&K USP Tactical

Price: 500 Capacity: 12 .45 ACP
Hard hitting but ineffective against armor, the USP trades automatic fire and a large magazine for a sound suppressor and improved damage. One of only two guns that can be suppressed.

SIG Sauer P228

Price: 600 Capacity: 13 .357 SIG
With good ballistics, excellent armor penetration, and a none-too-shabby magazine capacity the P228 is an excellent backup handgun whose only real downside is its poor accuracy due to its compact frame and short barrel.

IWI Desert Eagle

Price: 650 Capacity: 7 .50 AE
More than perhaps any other pistol the Desert Eagle needs no introduction. It may be big, heavy, and unreliable but no other handgun (and surprisingly few long guns) can put as large of a hole in a target. Makes for a good pocket shotgun and in a pinch can even be used for sniping.

FN Five-seveN

Price: 750 Capacity: 20 5.7x28mm
While reports of its stopping power have been greatly exaggerated, the 5-7 has unsurpassed armor penetration among handguns whichーcombined with its large magazine and high firerateーproves that quantity can have a quality all its own. Its boutique cartridge hits the wallet hard, though.

Beretta 96G Elite II, Akimbo

Price: 800 Capacity: 30 9x19mm [sic]
Weapon of choice for all John Woo enthusiasts and Neo wannabes, when you absolutely, positively, undoubtedly have to hose an area with lead, accept no substitutes.

Benelli M3 Super 90

Price: 1700 Capacity: 8 12 gauge shells
A good old-fashioned pump action shotgun for riot, pest, and man control.

Benelli M4 Super 90

Price: 3000 Capacity: 7 12 gauge shells
The M4 is a straight upgrade from the M3 that adds semi-auto capability and faster reload. Its only downside is the lack of a satisfying pump sound.

Steyr TMP

Price: 1250 Capacity: 30 9x19mm
A lacklustre SMG notable only for its low price and integrated sound suppressor, making it one of two suppressed guns available to Gordon. A high firerate helps to compensate for its other shortfalls.

Ingram Arms M10

Price: 1400 Capacity: 30 .45 ACP
Better known by its unofficial name of "MAC-10", the M10 is basically a box that bullets come out of. High firerate, no accuracy, and large caliber make it effectively a ranged melee weapon.

H&K MP5N

Price: 1500 Capacity: 30 9x19mm
One of the most common SMGs of the 20th century, the MP5 has developed a reputation for being versatile and effective in just about every role a SMG would be employed. More than any other SMG, the MP5 is the jack of all trades.

H&K UMP45

Price: 1700 Capacity: 25 .45 ACP
The UMP was created as the intended upgrade and replacement to the MP5, a lofty goal whose requirements it was unable to meet for various reasons. Most notable about it is the larger caliber .45 ACP round. While the CS version is rightly savaged for its terrible firerate the UMPs issued to Black Mesa have no such shortfalling.

FN P90

Price: 2350 Capacity: 50 5.7x28mm
If you believe FN's marketing the P90 isn't really a SMG, but rather a "Personal Defense Weapon", that is an alternative to the handgun traditionally issued to officers and non-infantry to improve their range and versatility in small arms combat. Still uses the SMG slot, though. Notable for its optics with zoom capability, large magazine, and weak but armor-piercing cartridge.

Galil ARM

Price: 2000 Capacity: 35 5.56x45mm
Unsurprisingly, this rifle's bargain bin price shows in its performance; heavy recoil and high firerate make this a difficult rifle to use effectively at range, and while its 5.56 round packs a punch it doesn't have the one-and-two shot capability of some of the larger caliber rifles. Best used at short to medium range.

FAMAS F1

Price: 2250 Capacity: 25 5.56x45mm
The FAMAS is in many ways the Galil but moreso: its bullpup design significantly amplifies recoil which is made only worse by its extremely high (for a rifle) rate of fire. Better accuracy than the galil but requires good tapfire skill from the user. Lacks the 3 rd burst capability of its CS counterpart.

AK-47

Price: 2500 Capacity: 30 7.62x39mm (possibly 7.62x51mm ingame)
By leaps and bounds, the AK-47 is the best known firearm ever made. Needs no introduction. Most notable for its large caliber for an assault rifle which significantly increases power at the cost of heavy recoil.

Steyr Scout

Price: 2750 Capacity: 10 7.62x51mm
The scout aims to address many of the weaknesses of conventional "sniper rifles" by being lightweight, fast, and easy to handle. While it does all of this without significant loss to accuracy, it does suffer a meaningful loss in damage, leading to its pejorative appellation "bolt-action AK". Nevertheless an excellent weapon for long and extreme range engagements.

M4A1

Price: 3100 Capacity: 30 5.56x45mm
Versatile and lethal, the M4 is perhaps the single most loved weapon in CS for being everything one could want in a rifle. It has good damage, very manageable recoil, and great accuracy. The Counter-Life version replaces the sound suppressor with a grenade launcher.

Steyr AUG

Price: 3500 Capacity: 30 5.56x45mm
The AUG occupies an awkward niche: too inaccurate to be a sniper but too heavy recoil to be a really good competitor to the M4. However, if one really needs the best first shot accuracy possible from their assault rifle nothing else can really measure up.

SIG SG552 Commando

Price: 3500 Capacity: 30 5.56x45mm
The SG552 is perhaps the single best alternative to the M4 available. Despite meeting or exceeding the M4's performance in most respects, the SG is still spurned because of its higher price and optics instead of the more useful grenade launcher option. Still an all around excellent assault rifle and for this writer's money perhaps the best single weapon in the game.

SIG SG550 Sniperized

Price: 4200 Capacity: 30 5.56x45mm
While categorized as a DMR, the SG550's performance is really more akin to an assault rifle and can in many ways be seen as the bridge between the AUG and the "proper" sniper weapons. Lacking accuracy for a weapon with "sniper" in the name is a bitter pill to swallow, but semi-auto capability and a large magazine do help by compensating for imprecision with volume.

AI AWM

Price: 4750 Capacity: 10 .338 Lapua
Counter-Strike's most notorious weapon, the AWM's report is an instantly recognizable and utterly terrifying sound to behold. Not just a tack-driver but a railway stake-driver, when you simply must put something down in a single well-placed shot the AWM isn't just the best choice, but really the only choice.

H&K G3/SG1

Price: 5000 Capacity: 20 7.62x51mm
With a price tag like that, it should come as no surprise that the G3 is the ultimate in ranged combat. Its powerful 7.62 cartridge and semi-auto capability means that the G3 can do the same damage as a scout while firing 3 or 4 shots for every 1 of the scout's, all while maintaining accuracy far in excess of any of the assault rifles that might compete with it. An excellent all-around weapon and really the best choice for nearly any situation that doesn't require really close range shooting or high mobility. Its poor mobility and poor reload speed are what little passes for an Achilles'(s) heel.

FN Minimi

Price: 5750 Capacity: 100 5.56x45mm (different from the 5.56 used by other guns)
The Minimi is Counter-Life's machinegun, and it does exactly what you'd expect from a machinegun: it provides extreme firepower in a man portable package. What it does in contrast to most other machineguns is that it has a much higher rate of fire but also significantly higher recoil, which can make it difficult to use at range. Try to avoid reloading in combat, if possible.

"RPG LAW"
Price: 4500 Capacity: 1 Rocket
No image here, which is actually a good thing. The "RPG LAW" looks really stupid, but it provides an invaluable service as its the only really powerful anti-materiel ranged weapon in the game, so we'll have to get one eventually. Dumb-fire, limiting its effectiveness.

HE Grenade

Price: 300
One standard high explosive hand grenade, useful for room clearing and taking out larger threats.

C4

Price: 1500
A remote detonated explosive whose killing power is unparalleled. The C4 provides the only real alternative to the "RPG LAW" for Gordon's anti-materiel needs. Usefulness is however significantly hampered by high price and Gordon's girly man throwing arm.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Current Status
Equipment: Knife
Money: 1020
Comment: Need to buy something!

Our first update covers the intro and gets us to our first buy opportunity, so the question naturally is, what do we buy? Should we buy anything? Right now we can afford any of the handguns, but nothing else.

E: typo

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 31, 2018

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This sounds very intriguing.

For the gun, I vote for the Desert Eagle of course.

Does ammo come with the gun, or do you have to purchase it separately?

Also, I could barely hear your commentary over the game sound, so you might want to take a look at that. Also I'm really curious as to why you aren't you uploading the HQ version to Youtube or whatever.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

Also, I could barely hear your commentary over the game sound, so you might want to take a look at that. Also I'm really curious as to why you aren't you uploading the HQ version to Youtube or whatever.

Yeah, check out the tech support fort, but what you need is autoducking. It'll lower game audio when you're talking so that we can understand you.

The Deagle is a waste of time. You want Stoppin' Powa? H&K USP. .45 ACP makes a nice hole, and 12 rounds a mag is plenty for a sidearm, plus we can Solid Snake our way around Black Mesa with the suppressor.

Recommending in advance that when we pick up our SMG, we get something that fires 9mm, because if we're gonna use something as a bullet-hose, it may as well shoot relatively cheap ammo. The H&K MP5 would be my recommendation there. If I was gonna recommend anything else:

Shotgun: M3. Way cheaper, 8 shells is a great number of shots before we run away/swap to something else, and honestly a shotgun that doesn't make that distinct noise when you rack a new shell into the chamber just isn't the same.
Rifle: M4. Why fix what ain't broken? 5.56 is a ubiquitous ammo type. I don't see the need for a sniper rifle, I never had a moment in Half-Life where I was like "Man, I wish I had a sniper rifle right now".

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

RickVoid posted:

The Deagle is a waste of time.

excuse me it looks awesome

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

HardDiskD posted:

This sounds very intriguing.

For the gun, I vote for the Desert Eagle of course.

Does ammo come with the gun, or do you have to purchase it separately?
Counter-Life is from a more civilized time. When you buy a gun, you get one free mag loaded and that's it.

quote:

I'll tweak the audio balance in the next ep. About not using yt, I'm ethically opposed to what it's become. Beyond that, it's getting to be more difficult to use and simultaneously more ephemeral. I suspect a very real risk of something uploaded today becoming inaccessible tomorrow.

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, check out the tech support fort, but what you need is autoducking. It'll lower game audio when you're talking so that we can understand you.

The Deagle is a waste of time. You want Stoppin' Powa? H&K USP. .45 ACP makes a nice hole, and 12 rounds a mag is plenty for a sidearm, plus we can Solid Snake our way around Black Mesa with the suppressor.

Recommending in advance that when we pick up our SMG, we get something that fires 9mm, because if we're gonna use something as a bullet-hose, it may as well shoot relatively cheap ammo. The H&K MP5 would be my recommendation there. If I was gonna recommend anything else:

Shotgun: M3. Way cheaper, 8 shells is a great number of shots before we run away/swap to something else, and honestly a shotgun that doesn't make that distinct noise when you rack a new shell into the chamber just isn't the same.
Rifle: M4. Why fix what ain't broken? 5.56 is a ubiquitous ammo type. I don't see the need for a sniper rifle, I never had a moment in Half-Life where I was like "Man, I wish I had a sniper rifle right now".

Do you have all your money in bonds? Fear not, Mr. Banker; we'll be drowning in paper long before Xen. Hell, probably before Surface Tension. Actually, speaking of Surface Tension and Xen, would snipers not be a boon there? I remember the crossbow being my bread and butter, particularly on the cliffs and dealing with those bloated brains.

quote:

The Deagle is a waste of time.
Internet man dropping mad truth bombs yo

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So I'm curious. Are the enemies' weapons just boosted, stat-wise, to match the CounterStrike weapons? Or are we going to see Vortigaunts with AWP's? :v:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

PurpleXVI posted:

So I'm curious. Are the enemies' weapons just boosted, stat-wise, to match the CounterStrike weapons? Or are we going to see Vortigaunts with AWP's? :v:

VortigAWPs would be scary.

(I saw the AWPortunity, I had to take it.)

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Update! One of these days I'm going to have to figure out to fade to black.

Current Status
Equipment: Knife, Deagle Brand Deagle
Money: 2240
Comment: Oh god help I think I fractured my wrists.

With our money we can afford the M3 shotgun, any SMG except the P90, or on the rifle side a Galil or FAMAS. I guess we could also get a new handgun.

PurpleXVI posted:

Sorry chief, if you're looking for crawlers with railguns you're going to have stick to Quake.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
well thank goodness. vortigaunts with guns would just be something AWPul

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Blind Sally posted:

well thank goodness. vortigaunts with guns would just be something AWPul
Press f for the pun that killed the thread.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Current Status
Equipment: Knife, Deagle Brand Deagle, MP5N
Money: 3690
Comment: Why does the military always show up?

With our money we can afford any handgun, shotgun, SMG, or the following rifles: Galil, FAMAS, AK-47, Scout, M4A1, AUG, SG552.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Get a FAMAS because I liked it even though every time I tried to use it it seemed like a piece of poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yes, let's get a FAMAS because having never played any Counter-Strike I am curious how its high rate of fire has been replicated

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ak47. not making any puns this time

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Echoing the FAMAS, because I like bandwagons.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FAMAS because you wanted to be sneaky, and the best way i know of to be sneaky is to emulate the sneakiest man alive, Solid Snake

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 11, 2018

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Jukebox Hero posted:

Get a FAMAS because I liked it even though every time I tried to use it it seemed like a piece of poo poo.

Aces High posted:

yes, let's get a FAMAS because having never played any Counter-Strike I am curious how its high rate of fire has been replicated

I could describe it, but it's something you really have to see to understand. So here, happy holiday:
Normal, 1v8
https://files.catbox.moe/33ag3q.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/nuapk4.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/sxhhlj.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/m4mbij.mkv

Expert, 1v4
https://files.catbox.moe/jt5b6f.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/mi419c.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/vpi2s1.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/2ovk41.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/m4c7ot.mkv
https://files.catbox.moe/hythsf.mkv

The FAMAS is a really good weapon, and about the only thing I'd challenge an AWP with at range. However, that's the CS FAMAS. The Counter-Life one has like twice the firerate, and no burst fire. I like to imagine that we fire it one-handed.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Took longer than I hoped because I had to Frankenstein a number of cuts together, but I think the end result turned out alright.

Current Status
Equipment: Knife, Deagle Brand Deagle, MP5N, FAMAS F1
Money: 5060
Comment: This game is longer range than I thought...

With our money we can afford anything but the Minimi! Naturally I favor the AWM, but a shotgun or a new rifle wouldn't be bad either...

though on the flip-side that last boss really drove home the importance of hand grenades.

P.S. For any viewers that want to participate but don't want to fork over :10bux: feel free to leave me a message/comment on steam.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 23, 2018

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Current Status
Equipment: Knife, Deagle Brand Deagle, MP5N, FAMAS, Grenades
Money: 9340
Comment: My weapons really aren't carrying me anymore, I'm going to need to make some major changes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I played this back in the day. Kinda want an update of it for Black Mesa now :v:

Cool LP!

Your FAMAS seems to be taking more chunks out of the brickwork than the enemy soldiers at the moment and if you're going outside you might want something longer ranged and more controllable, so perhaps an upgrade to a Sig Commando could be in order? The MP5 seems useful for disposing of low level gribblers inexpensively so perhaps not time to trade it out yet.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 8, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

are you able to sell your weapons back if you are done with them? If so you could switch out the MP5 for the P90

Failing that, now that you have the money I recommend getting a G3 :fap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My fear with the G3 is it's going to make it less appealing to AWP some alien buggers in the noggin later down the line.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
No, you cannot sell guns back.

The tragedy of the G3 is that you can't have an auto and the awp simultaneously, which is probably for the best. No mere mortal should have that kind of power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what I mean, if you buy it you're gonna have to throw it out to get the AWP if you're restricted to 1 of each class.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AWP, and the Aug

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm torn between the SG and AUG, any tiebreakers?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SG.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Current Status
Equipment: Knife, Deagle Brand Deagle, MP5N, SG552, AWM, Grenades
Money: 12060
Comment: If I don't buy something soon I'm going to hit the money cap!

I think I need to get a new mic, this current one really doesn't catch my good side.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 24, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The money you have, the more money you have to buy the Minimi

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that will sure come in handy when we get to Surface Tension

though that does make me wonder, do we get all of our weapons stripped when we are captured?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Current Status
Equipment: None!
Money: Your decision.
Comment: I need a weapon!

This episode is short enough that I'd normally make it a double-feature, but given the story significance it's important to get some opinions first.

Our guns have been taken, but not our money. Given the nature of this section I suspect this was a mere oversight on the dev's part, but can't rule out the possibility that gordon's simply using a debit card that hasn't been frozen yet. So to you all I ask:
Should our money be reset to 0?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yes. Reset to 0!

I think this second part of the game should have plenty of drops and cash, and the intent was for the player to start their equipment from scratch anyway. Plus it's a chance to do the weapons voting again.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

HardDiskD posted:

Yes. Reset to 0!

I think this second part of the game should have plenty of drops and cash, and the intent was for the player to start their equipment from scratch anyway. Plus it's a chance to do the weapons voting again.

Just to be clear, anyone is allowed to call for different weapons at any time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah, let's go factory zero

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Hell no

Quick, arm up with a Minimi before they freeze your assets and then switch to the card you stole from that one friend back in MIT, the stoner who always had cash on him!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't drop your money, it isn't all that long in the original game before you're armed back up with everything you lost and things quickly get hairy after that.

But while the fighting is mostly aliens again, why not break out a shotgun? Pump action of course :colbert:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm glad I checked the thread before I started recording. Looks like we've got a dead heat.

Kibayasu posted:

But while the fighting is mostly aliens again, why not break out a shotgun? Pump action of course :colbert:

I'm definitely going to get a shotgun and it's going to be absolutely disappointing. I actually had a cut for an earlier EP that I wound up rejecting because it's so lacklustre.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Gideon020 posted:

Hell no

Quick, arm up with a Minimi before they freeze your assets and then switch to the card you stole from that one friend back in MIT, the stoner who always had cash on him!

This. Too sick to type anything funny or coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lacedaemonius posted:

I'm glad I checked the thread before I started recording. Looks like we've got a dead heat.

I'm definitely going to get a shotgun and it's going to be absolutely disappointing. I actually had a cut for an earlier EP that I wound up rejecting because it's so lacklustre.

I know :( Even a shooting game that purports to have realistic guns and then put into another game has terrible shotguns.