Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1087776732885762049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

If history is any indication he'll be a head coach in two years and make the playoffs in three.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1087798257915478017?s=19

Damnit

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, that seems reasonable.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
And hired Tony Romo!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think Pettine is now the last of the Rex Ryan defensive guys out there.

e: but lol

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1087799963466326017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1087799963466326017?s=19

Nov 6, 2002

Lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Wow, I didn't think they'd do it, but then I'm a Packers fan who watched the organization stand by Dom Capers for about 5 years past his expiration date.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Andy needs a bbq bro

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Andy needs a bbq bro

Imagine Andy and Rex just pigging out and being bros, and all of a sudden Rex is all, "Hey check out the FEET on HER!!!' and Andy's just like, "WTF?!" :confused:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Bring on Rex he was not a bad DC when that was his only job, although Sutton employed a similar defense hm

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Rex Ryan having Dee Ford (assuming he stays) and Chris Jones and Justin Houston could be kinda fun, tbqh

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Bring on Rex he was not a bad DC when that was his only job, although Sutton employed a similar defense hm

Rex was an order of magnitude more aggressive with blitzes and stuff than Sutton has been the last couple of years.

I don't want him but the defense would look different at least.

Nov 6, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Bring on Rex he was not a bad DC when that was his only job

Defense is pretty much all he did as HC.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 22, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If nothing else, a Rex Ryan defense is a lot of fun.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

If nothing else, a Rex Ryan defense is a lot of fun.

I mean, when Rex's defense hosed up they hosed up, so the offense gets the ball back sooner. When they worked they were beautiful of course, but you can say that about most DCs.

That...might not be the worst thing for the Chiefs.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Does Rob come with him?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every drat night

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Rex defenses are awesome cause they blitz 80% of the time and never get any sacks

They will also hold a team to a brutal 3rd and long and will immediately blow it a stupid hold

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Cavauro posted:

every drat night

lol

Nov 6, 2002

Cavauro posted:

every drat night

What do you suppose Rob's fetish is?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cavauro posted:

every drat night

Juxtaposing this thought with Rex's feet thing is a horrible idea

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Hands, obviously.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ELO Musk posted:

Juxtaposing this thought with Rex's feet thing is a horrible idea

I thought the running game was always a plus.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, when Rex's defense hosed up they hosed up, so the offense gets the ball back sooner. When they worked they were beautiful of course, but you can say that about most DCs.

That...might not be the worst thing for the Chiefs.
Or when he fucks up it's because he sent 8 while in cover 0 and allows Tebow to scramble for a game winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rxEC9rPK2g

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'm a little suspicious that Rex Ryan's moment with that defense has sort-of passed, and that approach doesn't really have the possibility of dominating in the current game.

But then again, I'm not sure it matters you might just be doing excellent complimentary football by being very attack oriented in support of that offense even if you're not going to be a top defense in terms of points scored.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm a little suspicious that Rex Ryan's moment with that defense has sort-of passed, and that approach doesn't really have the possibility of dominating in the current game.

But then again, I'm not sure it matters you might just be doing excellent complimentary football by being very attack oriented in support of that offense even if you're not going to be a top defense in terms of points scored.

A legitimate strategy, for sure. One which will work against some teams better than others, though

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yeah this is the way I'm going to attempt to talk myself into the hire if it's made. High risk high reward might work out more often than not if there's actually some reward involved and the offense stays ridiculous.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Or when he fucks up it's because he sent 8 while in cover 0 and allows Tebow to scramble for a game winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rxEC9rPK2g

Who was the safety who blew contain here? I remember it's someone everyone hated and I was thinking Sabby Piscitelli (who's a wrestler now apparently?) but he never played for the Jets.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah this is the way I'm going to attempt to talk myself into the hire if it's made. High risk high reward might work out more often than not if there's actually some reward involved and the offense stays ridiculous.

Who was the safety who blew contain here? I remember it's someone everyone hated and I was thinking Sabby Piscitelli (who's a wrestler now apparently?) but he never played for the Jets.

Eric Smith

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think that's a fair point. To counter, if he or whoever gets the job can field a middle of the pack Defense than they should get the job done.

Funny thing is Bob Sutton had his most success running a copy of a Rex Ryan playbook that he stole on the way out of New York and really let Peyton Manning picking on their worst starter get into his head. Went full bend but don't break after that and the Defense went bad.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Deadspin did an article on Rex right after he got fired from the Bills in 2016 (that feels like it was forever ago now). I mention it because one of the main gists of it is that his aggressive, blitz-heavy style and emphasis on disguising where said blitzes are coming from were often foiled by modern NFL spread offenses. Particularly ones that could split a TE and/or an RB out wide, because it reduced Rex's defenses ability to be able to disguise the blitz. It didn't really help that, with the Bills, he shoehorned in what'd been an excellent 4-3 defense the year before he got there into his 3-4 based system and the Bills' defense totally cratered.

I dunno if he'd really be good as a DC again or if he's even willing to accept that role. That being said, the Chiefs' defense was absolutely a huge tire fire outside of their d-line/pass rush, and they already run a 3-4, so it isn't like he'd take a crowbar to what they have in place. Even a modest improvement would possibly get them over the hump.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

feet in mashed potatoes

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Rob's fetish totally involves soda and a copy of The Big Lebowski playing in the background

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1088096838979330049?s=21

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
is it 2008? how is spagnuolo still getting jobs?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1088098653812736001

Nov 6, 2002

Sure why not.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I mean I guess if Schiano's going to fit anywhere it's the most hated team in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

corn on the cop posted:

is it 2008? how is spagnuolo still getting jobs?

He's got better, more recent success than basically anyone available- His defense was 2nd in points scored in 2016. I'd feel better about him than Rex Ryan if I were a Chiefs fan IMO